mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Great Day Biking, but I really have a lot to learn!

I had been wanting to go out to the San Angelo State Park which is the good local place to mountain bike, and I finally made it today. It was a really good day, but I found out that one of the hardest parts of biking is after the downhill, going up the next hill, and I had a lot of trouble with that. I don't know much about hucking but I think there were a bunch of hucking places out there and I don't have a hucking bike. I guess it is good to know when to walk it around a spot in the trail.

There were some places that were pretty easy and I got too confident there. There had been some of those places where you go in between 2 trees (mesquite here) and I was coming to one of these places, pretty narrow, and was paying more attention to the trees than the trail. The trail was pretty rutted there and made a turn just after going through the trees. My front wheel didn't make the turn and I got taken straight into the tree. My arm took it. Bleeding, I needed to get back to the pickup. Well it was only some scratches! It was about 2 miles back to the trailhead.

Hi There!
    Ride on brother!
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Learnin how fast you should be going is crucial. You need to learn when to slow down. Of course, too slow means you won't have enough momentum to overcome small obstacles. It is no use being the fastest rider around if it means you can't finish your ride.

You need to carry enough supplies to ensure your ability to get back to our car. That generally means dealing with flat tires, a broken chain, or injuries. There are lots of threads here regarding these.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I had 1 out of 3 of those situations covered. I need to learn how to fix a chain. I just pedaled over trails and road back to the pickup after my minor injury.

It does show why you need a tough well-made bike. The tires took a lot of abuse. I need to put a new tube in my rear tire.

I met a couple of nice bikers out there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ConchoBill View Post
    I was coming to one of these places, pretty narrow, and was paying more attention to the trees than the trail.

First of all, glad you are okay and that you still had fun. You said it perfectly, I think you fixated more on the tree and less on the trail. Remember to look where you want to go, especially while cornering or in technical terrain!

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    You need to carry enough supplies to ensure your ability to get back to our car. That generally means dealing with flat tires, a broken chain, or injuries. There are lots of threads here regarding these.
    This is good advice. Pony up and get the supplies you need, even if it means missing a ride or two. A first aid kit might have helped you out on the ride to be more comfortable and perhaps even keep riding without worrying about the bleeding or your injury getting dirty/worse. Just for a reference, this is what I carry with me:

1. Food and Water
    2. Tool kit and spare tube(s)
    3. First aid kit, or at the very least some basic supplies
    4. Trail Map
    5. Cell Phone

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Thanks guys !! I have had lots of minor injuries in my life. I didn't have that far to go and wasn't bleeding that badly. I had forgotten both my trail map and cell phone that pm. One my worst problems was leaving a small amount of blood on the sheets last night.

mtbr member
    The whole looking ahead to where you want to go has been something that I've painfully learned. I'm relatively new to all of this, but I still catch myself looking at where I am rather than where I want to go. Nothing good ever comes of it for me I'm afraid. Glad you're okay. Oh, riding alone, don't forget the phone.
    We have met the enemy, and it is us. Pogo

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I learned that I could get in trouble both ways. I was riding in some soft stuff on the side of this hill. it was gently sloping down, and the trail was fairly narrow. I began to look down the trail to see what was happening with it and it wasn't very spectacular. Then the front tire got caught on the side of the trail and I stopped involuntarily. Nothing big, just a lesson. It's a different world.

This afternoon I go out for a ride after spending some time talking bikes with an old friend, and we get this little shower as I am heading out, and this was a very short ride.

mtbr member
    leaving a small amount of blood on the sheets last night.
    If that was a "worst problems" situation, you might wanna consider a different pass-time.
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I know I didn't have it bad yesterday. But I also know I have a great deal to learn.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    no worries ConchoBill, you will get better and learn more with each ride. My first few rides, I used confidence braking a lot, and it got me into more trouble than it helped. Sometimes it's better to just bomb through trouble rather than slowing to take it easier. My big ole' wagon wheel 29ers roll over more than I gave them credit for. I'm glad that you are ok and you now have your first proof that you are a mountain biker! Ride on brother!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    It was a very enjoyable, and often humbling, experience. I guess I was sometimes on the hardest or second hardest trail at the Park. When I was there, on 2 occasions, I mainly walked the bike. And again, I also found out how difficult it was to go up some of those slopes, and what a feeling of accomplishment it was when I made it up a steep slope, which was embarrassingly rare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It was a very enjoyable, and often humbling, experience. I guess I was sometimes on the hardest or second hardest trail at the Park. When I was there, on 2 occasions, I mainly walked the bike. And again, I also found out how difficult it was to go up some of those slopes, and what a feeling of accomplishment it was when I made it up a steep slope, which was embarrassingly rare.
    There's no shame in walking tough sections. As your skill and confidence increases, you'll do it less and less. Or you'll find tougher trails.

Welcome aboard!
    I remember when I was a teenager...quiet hubs made me super nervous because I had a phobia of homosexual bikes.
    -AndrwSwitch

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm a fan of arm and leg pads. They work well with all these New England rocks we have. Listen to your inner chicken. Walking once in a while is OK. Brian Lopes has great book on all things mt biking, worth checking out.