1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

New question here. Which grease to use for front head bearings?

Hi had creaking while compressing my fork, while climbing and whenever i put weight on the front of the bike. So I greased the bearings in the head tube and the creaking stopper. It's started again after a couple of hour on the first ride since servicing. I think the grease might not have been tough enough because grease was coming out a little at the bottom of the head. It was a really hot day and intense climbing. I used syntethic all purpose grease! What grease should I use? I will also look for cracks!

By the way my bike is a specialized enduro comp XL 2012. And I'm a 230 pounds athletic guys! Might I be too heavy for the frame? I don't think so but i ask!

Thanx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I also saw i little rust or wear inside the the head where the bottom bearing sit. I was also noticeable on the bearing itself. All located in the back or at 6 o'clock.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Pretty well any grease will work. The synthetic you used will be fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    I also saw i little rust or wear inside the the head where the bottom bearing sit. I was also noticeable on the bearing itself. All located in the back or at 6 o'clock.
    Just use any grease available out there, you should be fine...

Fat-tired Roadie
    I've typically used fancy grease marketed for bikes. Supposedly, it's just marine grease in smaller bottles with a bigger markup. I'd try that if I bought enough of it for the price to bother me.

There's more than just grease to getting a nice, quiet headset - it needs to be adjusted correctly.
    Park Tool Co. ParkTool Blog Threadless Headset Service

How old is the bike? With some styles of headset, taking a little time to do a proper rebuild can be helpful.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ok but If the grease i use was suppose to be fine why did it start creaking again! The bike is a 2012 and a couple months old, but has been used as demo bike in a shop!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I'm also worried a little about the little wear on the bearing and frame! I might put a picture

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Which grease to use for front head bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by Welric View Post
    Ok but If the grease i use was suppose to be fine why did it start creaking again! The bike is a 2012 and a couple months old, but has been used as demo bike in a shop!
    Likely because the headset is not adjusted properly, as mentioned earlier.

Pics are not needed.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

no trees are safe
    Been using Lithium automotive bearing grease for my hub servicing every 500-1000km and so far it worked quie well. And I ride whatever nature throws at me. Snow, mud, dust and sand... makes very little difference. Overal it's much better than the original thick gunk that was in there.