1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)

I recently bought a NOS Shimano Deore XT, CS-M737, 8 speed cassette, 11-28T. I never used it. I only installed it onto my rear wheel, before I decided to upgrade to 9 speed. I'm about to resell it

Does anyone know if the gray plastic spacer is important? Can the potential buyer get a new one no problem? I don't remember where it should go on the cassette. When I took it out of the bag again to snap pics of it, the gray plastic spacer & 2 silver metal spacers were sitting underneath the big cog. I assume that's how it was installed onto the freehub. Is it possible that gray plastic spacer & 2 silver metal spacers came from my rear wheel's freehub when I removed the cassette? (pics at bottom)

this link is the seller I bought from, but I can't tell if his pic shows the gray plastic spacer & 2 silver metal spacers behind the big cog
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ONE-NOS-SHIMANO-DEORE-XT-8-SPEED-CASSETTE-CS-M737-11-28-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-/200959279796?pt=US_Cassettes_Freewheels_Cogs&hash=item2eca1b42b4

this link is from a different seller & there's no gray plastic spacer behind the big cog
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-SHIMANO-DEORE-XT-8-SPEED-CASSETTE-CS-M737-11-30-BRAND-NEW-IN-BOX-/220965921527?pt=US_Cassettes_Freewheels_Cogs&hash=item33729862f7

Thank you

gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)-img_1154-cracked-plastic-ring_mtbr_snipped.jpg
    gray plastic cracked spacer
    gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)-img_1151-mtbr_snipped.jpg
    2 silver metal spacers & gray plastic cracked spacer
    gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)-img_1147-cracked-plastic-ring-mtbr_snipped.jpg
    with gray plastic cracked spacer & 2 silver metal spacers
    gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)-img_1148-without-plastic-ring-mtbr_snipped.jpg
    without
    gray plastic cracked spacer or 2 silver metal spacers
    Last edited by TheeSuperUberV; 09-19-2013 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    update: I found a pic online that has the gray plastic spacer & 2 silver metal spacers behind the big cog... so now i dunno how to approach selling it? I wonder if it's factory-installed.
    gray plastic spacer cracked (no not the dork plate)-xt-8-speed-m737-but-11-28t-yes-gray-plastic-spacer-favvvvvv.jpg

mtbr member
    It looks like that would be used for a freebody that also accepts 9/10 speed cassettes in order to keep the largest cog from making contact with the spokes and to provide the spacing for proper installation.

The reason it is not on the hub you linked where it is "missing", is because that cassette looks like the backside is designed to compensate for the proper spacing without having extra loose parts that could break.

I would say you might be able to use the cassette on an 8 speed hub, but not on one that takes 9/10 speed cassettes as well. The likelyhood of someone having 8 speed stuff only these days is slim. Most people have at least 9 speed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks mevadus. Do you think it is similar to the big clear plastic spoke guard that usually comes on new stock bikes? If that's what my gray cracked plastic spacer is, then i feel better... but i'm still confused about the 2 silver metal spacers which go directly underneath the gray spacer. Hope it's nothing important.

I also just tried calling Shimano about it. Recording says they're attending the InterBike show & will be back Monday. So that's what us customers get for helping them to make a living? I would think they'd have a small group to answer tech questions 24/7/365. Yea, everyone's at InterBike yea. All i wanna do is put this on eBay already & not lose $90

mtbr member
    I'd Ebay it as is. The gray ring appears to be non structural and it looks like it should have the gap. From what I can get looking at your pictures (best bet without it being in my hand) it just hold the 2 shims in place during the installation of the cogset.

And stop bagging on Shimano, bike tech support normally comes from your direct retailer (ie. bike shop). Remember you are trying to resell this which in a very very small way is cutting in Shimano's retail sales.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    I'd Ebay it as is. The gray ring appears to be non structural and it looks like it should have the gap. From what I can get looking at your pictures (best bet without it being in my hand) it just hold the 2 shims in place during the installation of the cogset.

And stop bagging on Shimano, bike tech support normally comes from your direct retailer (ie. bike shop). Remember you are trying to resell this which in a very very small way is cutting in Shimano's retail sales.
    Thanks for your reply faceplant72. Should i include those 2 metal spacers?

mtbr member
    ship the shims with it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by faceplant72 View Post
    ship the shims with it.
    Alright

mtbr member
    I think face plant is right, the plastic ring does look like it should have the gap. I would say ship it put together, and use a few zip ties to hold everything in place.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Okay, i'm gonna eBay it all without the cracked gray plastic spacer. Thanks guys

mtbr member
    If the gap wasn't there on the grey plastic ring, the shims wouldn't fit inside of it. I'm wondering if its just for shipping/packaging purposes to secure the shims.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Yes, it seems the gray plastic spacer is only to hold the shims in place, as you & faceplant72 said, during shipping/installation. I believe i had also installed the gray plastic spacer onto my freehub. Could be Shimano knows it does no harm on the bike. I held the cassette sideways & put only the 2 metal spacers against the big cog & it appears the spacers prevent the big cog from touching the spokes, as mevadus said. Also as i mentioned above, an eBay seller is selling this same model cassette but 11-30T & his pics show no gray plastic spacer. Thanks everyone.