1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

gravity brand bike??

i looking for a bike that i can ride about 25 miles round trip on mostly paved trails for work that can also handle some trail riding. I have had many problems with bent rims in the past (i just cant help it if i see a short curb or root to pop off of).. i havent ever been a very serious rider but i am looking to start. my price range is (unfortunately) $300-$400. i found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130371343967 . it says the manufacturer is Gravity (model base camp 2.0) but i cant find anything out about them online. any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

oh yeah

the only other bike i've realy looked at is a trek 3700 from a shop for $330 and they said they would switch 2 less aggressive tires 4 free. i know very little about trek except that most rental bikes here on cape are treks.

AZ
    banned
    Run away from the Gravity branded bike , you would most likely be very disappointed in its durability . The Trek brand is a solid choise , ride a bunch of them @ your LBS . Look @ other major makers also , visit a few shops to get a wide variety of options .

newless cluebie
    Sep 2009
    Looks like a rebranded KHS.

I Have Cookies
    Looks like just a bit lower level than a base model LBS bike...... might be ok for occasional bike path rides not to serious a bike personally I'd steer clear and go for the Trek
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

local trails rider
    If you have bike shops in town, go and see them all. Try everything that seems even remotely suitable.

Are you sure you need/want a bike with a suspension fork?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

still lookin

found a used (under 100 mi.)08 iron horse hardtail on craigslist for around $400 dont know the model but will be checkin it out tommorow. also looked at a new 09 giant boulder se at my lbs for 330. i'm kinda leanin toward goin through a shop but still wanna hunt 4 deals and this iron horse seems like it may be the deal i'm lookin 4 sugestions??

local trails rider
    I don't want to recommend any brands. Just remember that the size of the frame has to be right for you, so that you get a good riding position.

A second hand bike can be a good deal... if it really is in good condition. Can you tell if it is?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know I'm just a noob but from everything I've heard looking used is the best way to go

Nickel Havr
    Ironhorse was a good brand depending on the year of the bike.
    They were a great company until they ran it into the ground and sold it to a Chinese company.
    It's ok if it was made before 2009... Junk if it was made after that.

I'd stick to a local shop... (not a big box store)

My local LBS has a few decent bike in the $300-$500 range and usually include some free maintenance!

They'll also help you find a proper fit...
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .