Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

GPS For Android

3K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  Roasted 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a good GPS program for Android phones to record my rides with. I'd prefer one that will let me load the file into Google Earth. Any suggestions?

#4 ·
x3.. ive been using mytracks since i started riding.. just clip my htc onto my belt and it gives little updates if your volume is turned up... for example... every mile it tells you distance traveled/time on route/average speed.. also gives options on exporting the routes to computer etc.. neat app

#7 ·
I'm using endomondo.
You can set it for any sport you are doing and it uploads to web when you're finished.
When you access the website you can see your route taken, altitude and speeds.

Not sure what extra you get for the paid version but the free one does everything I need.

#8 ·
Heres some of my MyTracks maps on google for you to play with. Since I keep the phone in my camelback I usually don't mark any points. But it does all the basic stuff I want it to. The only hiccup I've had was one ride where i didn't refresh "my location" when I started out. I got all the distance and elevation figures but it couldn't produce a map to upload. Worked perfectly every other time though.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...206,-75.221844&spn=0.018689,0.033088&t=h&z=15

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...d=214172254880414245753.0004a0d14ad7c46b85e1b

#10 ·
I've been using Cardio Trainer with good results.

I have My Tracks installed on my phone but I was impatient when it took 5+ minutes to get a GPS lock. :confused: I ended up loading Cardio Trainer and I've been using it since.
I read on another board about that issue. It happens if you only enable the google location service in the phone settings. When I'm about to use my tracks I turn on all 3 location services in the settings and it gets a lock in a few seconds.

#12 ·
MyTracks and RunKeeper. RunKeeper has a great user interface website and posts to facebook, etc if thats important to you. I still find that my recordings from my bike computer to my phone app are usually quite a bit off, sometimes a couple miles on a 12-14 miles ride and AVS is also way off. Its great for just tracking your route overall, but not so great for tracking personal performance.

#13 ·
I still find that my recordings from my bike computer to my phone app are usually quite a bit off, sometimes a couple miles on a 12-14 miles ride and AVS is also way off.
A bike computer always beats a GPS, and a GPS is always underestimating distance. 2 miles out of twelve seems like a lot though.
The question to me is how does a phone GPS compare to a dedicated GPS (Garmin). I'm still learning my Android with BC Navigator, but so far it seems pretty equivalent in accuracy to my Garmin.

#19 ·
Endomondo and My Tracks. Endomondo is super easy to use, just hit start and stop and it will automatically upload to your profile on their site and statistics are updated, etc. My Tracks is nice for exporting to other formats/programs like Google Earth.

#28 ·
Does MyTracks allow real-time watching of your route on Google Maps? My girlfriend is curious to see how far I go and where I'm at at the time, so I got to wondering if I could add an app to my Android phone and let her see the progress on Google Maps or something like that.

If MyTracks doesn't do this, anybody know of an app who does?

#29 ·
Does MyTracks allow real-time watching of your route on Google Maps? My girlfriend is curious to see how far I go and where I'm at at the time, so I got to wondering if I could add an app to my Android phone and let her see the progress on Google Maps or something like that.

If MyTracks doesn't do this, anybody know of an app who does?
Take a look at Instamapper.

http://www.instamapper.com/faq.html

#31 ·
I have used Endomondo and iMapmyrides, but was curious, is there an app that you can have friends on. Where whenever you split up for whatever reason, you can pull out your phone and check to see where they are in relation to you? That would be kind of handy.

Thanks for these other two, I will have to check them out.

#33 ·
insta mapper and glympse need to make babies. I love how glympse is real time... Where with instamapper you need to keep on that refresh button. On the flip side glympse unfortunately doesn't allow for unlimited view time... Each session is on an expiration timer with a max of four hours. Any other ideas while we got the idea ball rolling?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.