1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Got new pedals but....

Hey guys...I'm new to the site..But love biking...I got an entry level Mongoose mountain bike, So I'm upgraded the little things...Bar ends, The seat etc....I recently got some Odyssey Twisted PC pedals...My problom is I cannot get the stock pedal off of my bike...I'm putting some serious muscle into it and it's not budging....Any suggestions?...I'm ready just to take it to my local shop.....Thanks

bi-winning
    turn the other way. the pedal on the non-drive side has a reverse thread.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Like rkj says, and if you are turning in the right direction and are using a short-handled wrench you might just need a little more leverage, putting a pipe or similar over the end of the wrench handle might help.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've just tried that....It makes sense still no budge...It's a little stripped right now...Leverage sounds good...I have to see what I can get my hands on..

mtbr member
    Put more muscle on it! Don't be a wimp, mangle that thing!

Nah, seriously. ^^ what they said. I just ran into this problem yesterday. Had the bike upside down w/ reverse threads and got confused.. Had a WTF moment while putting some muscle on it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i actually broke a wrench putting taking stock pedals off of my bike a few months ago. . . . on of them was just on there really tight.

What could go wrong ...
    dont forget to put some anti seize on the new pedal threads before you install them
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    It's all set! I went to the shop like 2 minutes away!....It was on there pretty good...But they hooked me up and now I'm ready to go! Thanks guys!