1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Got my new bike today and went for a ride!

It's a Raleigh 2012(13?) Talus 29 comp

Did 13 miles with it on a railroad bed that gets very narrow and muddy in a few sections, these tires just eat it all up, I had none of the issues I did with my old Schwinn Mesa

had some shifting issues from from small gears in the back to the largest chain ring in the front, I suppose it needs adjusting, other than that the breaks rubbed a bit in the back, could hear it slightly.

I hosed it down when I got done and lubed the chain and gears afterwards, I know there's more to keeping the bike clean and lubed so I'm looking to learn more in these forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Got my new bike today and went for a ride!

Congrats, if you bought from lbs, take it in for the free tune. Otherwise you can YouTube derailleur adjustment and brake