1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Got my new bike

mtbr member
    May 2014

Got my new bike

Well, I posted an intro thread a few weeks ago, I just moved back to Colorado Springs from Wichita, KS a few weeks ago, and was lookign to upgrade my 2001 Trek 4900.

I ended up getting a Trek X-Caliber 9 on a memorial day sale, and it has been awesome. I actually got an X-Cal 8, but after getting it home and thinking about it, decided the upgrade to a 9, with the Air fork over a coil was worth it, especially with me sitting at about 225 right now. I've had it out quite a bit in the last few weeks, A lot of Falcon Trail at the AF Academy if your familiar, which has a lot of awesome fast Single track. I've also been out on the roads and city paths nearly every day.

I was at a toss up between this and the Crave, and I loved both bikes, but I am extremely happy with my X-Cal, and am lookign forward to an awesome season of riding.

mtbr member
    Surely you're going to post a pic. Or pics...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Got my new bike-img_20140606_201942.jpgGot my new bike-img_20140606_202011.jpgGot my new bike-img_20140606_202040.jpg

The red Trek is my old 2001 4900 Disc, which was my first "real" MTB. It still works and rides just fine, so I'll keep it for visitor's or something.

mtbr member
    Nice. A new bike makes us feel like kids again. (It does for me anyway).

Now take it out and get it dirty.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    great bike but now I have a question since I bought the X-cal 8 and am weighing in at 260 and falling should I be concerned I didn't even think about weight when buying
    Best Photo Booth in Dallas Fort Worth
    http://www.snapzsnapz.com

mtbr member
    May 2014
    I just didn't want to deal with upgrading the coil to a heavy spring. The Air Fork's are basically infinitely adjustable for rider weight. I don't think there would have been anything wrong with the 8, but I just figured, since I could afford the 9, it was worth it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Looks like your front tire is flat lol.. But that's a nice looking bike man I like the new tron look

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2014
    yeah, both tires got slow flats from riding the perimeter trail out near the base I work at, its really bad with thorns. I already got the stuff I need to go tubeless, and will be doing that this weekend.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah where I ride its really thorny. I would go tubeless but I so ride street tires and switch back and forth a lot.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Make sure your tires are tubeless ready.
    Bike Doctor

mtbr member
    Those that are bigger, dont sweat the bike, I ride previous version but wil RS XC32 coil fork (firm spring) and holds me just fine. I was 280-290 when I bought the bike, 265 now and no issues, sag sets good etc. Us bigger guys just have to pay more attention to maint and dont be jumping/drops and such, stock wheels wont take it.

You can go tubeless stock but itll be interesting. make sure your tires arent wire bead first off, can play havoc with bead seating. Tubeless ready tires are not NEEDED, many run regular tires, but tubless ready are just a bit easier to set up. Also need to check which way of sealing the rim will work. Normal tape, "Stans" type may be too thin and youll fight like hell to get the beads to catch enough air to seat. I went gorilla tape route since Im unsure of tubeless capability of my wheels. Worked easy as hell with an air compressor.

Now get out and ride,lol. Love trek 29er HTs, I may upgrade bikes someday but I enjoyed upgrading the build of my current bike so itll be around for a while. enough options of new tech to play with and trying different set ups to keep me entertained for a while.
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    ^^^ No, you don't need tubeless ready tires. But since the bead profiles are not designed to be run tubeless. Burping, and other issues are a lot more likely. Also, many tire manufacturers advise against using standard clincher tires with liquid sealants because some of them can damage the carcass of the tire. To each their own. I've seen tires come apart, and I've also seen some pretty good wrecks when a tire burps cruising through a trail.
    Bike Doctor

I'd rather be on my bike
    Captain Jack's. Ride it. I rode it when I was stationed there years ago. The most fun I have had on two wheels.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1398/2500

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by TenSpeed View Post
    Captain Jack's. Ride it. I rode it when I was stationed there years ago. The most fun I have had on two wheels.
    Ok, I rode it today, just got back in fact. Holy crap that was intense. And yes, that was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. And I didn't crash, and only feared for my life once or twice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardeho View Post
    The red Trek is my old 2001 4900 Disc, which was my first "real" MTB. It still works and rides just fine, so I'll keep it for visitor's or something.
    Sweet, I like the green!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Me too, much better than the sky blue of the X-Cal 8. That actually part of my decision, albiet a small one. The Black/Red X-Cal 7 is my favorite of the line as far as looks go.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardeho View Post
    Ok, I rode it today, just got back in fact. Holy crap that was intense. And yes, that was the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. And I didn't crash, and only feared for my life once or twice.
    So. Jealous. I absolutely love that trail. Now you have me wishing I was still living there.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1398/2500