1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Got my first MTB. What do you guys think?

Hi everyone,

New here. Got my first bike, a Cannondale F8 dated late 2009. Am fairly new to biking, at least the technical aspect of it.

Wasn't able to find too much information on the bike and I can't post links or pictures because my post count is too low. But if you google 'Cannondale F8' you will see a link from cannondale's website with a page for this bike.

I'll have to look at the components when I get home from work. I can't recall which components are currently installed.

Really I'm interested in knowing the quality of this bike, particularly the frame. If and when components break, I'll likely upgrade but I don't want to sink money into a bike if I'm building around a poor frame.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 2 Slow View Post
    Hi everyone,

New here. Got my first bike, a Cannondale F8 dated late 2009. Am fairly new to biking, at least the technical aspect of it.

Wasn't able to find too much information on the bike and I can't post links or pictures because my post count is too low. But if you google 'Cannondale F8' you will see a link from cannondale's website with a page for this bike.

I'll have to look at the components when I get home from work. I can't recall which components are currently installed.

Really I'm interested in knowing the quality of this bike, particularly the frame. If and when components break, I'll likely upgrade but I don't want to sink money into a bike if I'm building around a poor frame.
    The frame is ok for a beginning mountain biker provided it is in a good state. The original components are low end and might need replacing/upgrading if they were used a lot. But maybe some have been upgraded already, who knows. The bike retailed at around 490$.

I would not put too much money in it. Just use as it is and replace broken stuff until you know which kind of (mountain) biking you want to do and then maybe invest the money in a good new or second hand, suited to your needs, with good components.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Ride it. Break it. Fix it. Repeat about 10x then Upgrade to a new bike.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Good info guys.

Forgot to mention that the bike is brand new, never used and never fixed or modified. It has a production date of 2009 but has been sitting indoors since then.

So all components are factory original (well, aftermarket original as many of the components are not Cannondale brand) and I will be replacing broken parts as they occur but will be mindful of purchasing parts that can be transferred to a better bike frame in the future.

I have already put 20 or so miles on the bike and really like it, has a comfortable feel. Got a slap/slap sound coming from the derailleur (I think) in certain gears so I may tinker with that this weekend.

Currently my riding style is road and off-shoot trails (mainly for exercise), nothing serious. Eventually I'd like to get into downhill and more aggressive riding style. That will require a better bike and I just don't have the money for it right now.

mtbr member
    Well when you upgrade to a better bike not only do you upgrade components but most of the time if not always you upgrade to a lighter and stronger bike frame.
    Mountain Biking is not a hobby. It's a lifestyle.

mtbr member
    Yea I figured if I ever upgrade to a new bike that will include a new frame as well.

Here are the components currently on my bike:

- Tektro brake rotors
    - RST GLA fork
    - Shimano shifter & derailleur
    - Alex Rims
    - Kenda tires

mtbr member
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you asking which components should be upgraded? Did I get a good deal? Is the frame something that's worth upgrading, i.e. are the components the only thing preventing this from being a super bike?

To be honest, it's simply an entry-level bike, with a decent frame and components. It's great that you got it unused but, relative to the wide spectrum of available rides, it's not a real standout.

Just enjoy it. Take good care of it, too, if you intend to sell it some day but there's no good reason to upgrade any of the components. Learn how to clean the drivetrain, tune the brakes and derailleurs, true the wheels and keep it properly lubed (yeah, there's definitely a wrong way to do this). Make sure it fits properly and you've figured out the right tire pressures..

Now, go out and enjoy the ride.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joeinchi View Post
    I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you asking which components should be upgraded? Did I get a good deal? Is the frame something that's worth upgrading, i.e. are the components the only thing preventing this from being a super bike?

To be honest, it's simply an entry-level bike, with a decent frame and components. It's great that you got it unused but, relative to the wide spectrum of available rides, it's not a real standout.

Just enjoy it. Take good care of it, too, if you intend to sell it some day but there's no good reason to upgrade any of the components. Learn how to clean the drivetrain, tune the brakes and derailleurs, true the wheels and keep it properly lubed (yeah, there's definitely a wrong way to do this). Make sure it fits properly and you've figured out the right tire pressures..

Now, go out and enjoy the ride.
    Just getting a feel for what I got, not knowing much about bikes and all.

I'll definitely be riding!

mtbr member
    What you got? A decent entry-level bike.

Here are comments from other F8 owners which you should take with a grain of salt. People's expectations and their opinions are very subjective. The only thing that matters is what YOU think of it.

F8 reviews
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Fat-tired Roadie
    Major-brand aluminum frames are very comparable to one another, IMO. None of them are boat anchors, and all will last a long time if you don't do something really major to them.

Upgrading components piecemeal is an extraordinarily inefficient way to get to a nice bike. On the other hand, you'll have something that's yours in a way that no stock bike will be. You need to figure out if you're willing to take the fairly large hit on prices to have that, or if you're comfortable with spending more getting there in order to have each nicer part sooner, rather than later.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    the bike i ride now i got a donor bike and a frame and made something i actually wanted, for really cheap. i pretty much found a bike with a large frame that i loved the components on, and then bought a frame to swap them to. then i sold the frame for what i paid for the bike. it was extremely cheap. now i just replace parts with better ones as they break, but all in all its exactly what i wanted, and i really didn't spend any money on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    nice bike!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hi everyone,

how much did you cost?

mtbr member
    Yea I figured if I ever upgrade to a new bike that will include a new frame as well.

Here are the components currently on my bike:

- Tektro brake rotors
    - RST GLA fork
    - Shimano shifter & derailleur
    - Alex Rims
    - Kenda tires

Check this link for original componetry specs

BikePedia - 2009 Cannondale F8 Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hi, I like the rule that you buy the best bike you can afford. If you stick with that you cannot really go wrong. I tend to go over a bit on that but its fine. As for dumping a bunch of money into that bike I would probably not do it. Even getting the drivetrain up to 9 speed would cost a bundle. I would ride it as is and if stuff breaks replace it. Probably don't look at XX or XTR for replacement parts. Go get "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills" and read it. Then go practice till you have all of that nailed down. When you have a better grasp on what bike you want and some more money go buy one. That is what I would do. Good job on getting a bike. You can still have fun on sub $5000 bikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 65mph12 View Post
    Check this link for original componetry specs

BikePedia - 2009 Cannondale F8 Complete Bicycle
    Awesome info, exactly what I was looking for since I do not have the original paperwork that came with the bike.

I bought the bike for $350 off of a friend who never even rode it, so it is essentially brand new.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm in the same boat... looking for something solid that will hold me over for a year or two, till I can afford to jump up to a nicer level bike