1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Got a flat. What did I do wrong?

Just upgraded my tires from 26x2.0 to some brand new tires (On-One Chunky Monkey 26x2.4) and new tubes. I was out on a ride today for the maiden voyage on the new tires and in love them so far. The huge difference in grip was making me confident so naturally I tried to bomb a trail way out of my league. I hit a rock that jutted out of the trail with my front tire and at first I didn't think anything of it. But I got to the bottom of the hill and my front tube was flat!! I looked for a puncture in the tire but couldn't find one. Changed the tube and rode back to the car. But can't figure out how I got the flat. Please help
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Pinch flat? It happens when you pinch the tube between the rim from bottoming out or hitting something hard. It should look like two slits on each side of your tube, sometimes called "snakebites" because they match each other for size and shape, unlike a random piece of glass or a burr or thorn that has just one hole and is in your tread line. The snake bites will be on each side of the tube(sidewalls).
    2010 Surly Conundrum
    2012 Pugsley
    2012 Felt Brougham
    2013 Salsa Colossal
    2013 All City Nature Boy
    2014 Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakedbabytoes View Post
    Pinch flat?
    I'd guess yes. If you cant find the hole(s) inflate the tube and put it in water.

mtbr member

Got a flat. What did I do wrong?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374702456.581549.jpg

Ok I found the leak in the tube. There is only one slit.

If it was a pinch flat, which it probably was, is there a way for me to prevent this from happening in the future other than just avoid bottoming out and hitting obstacles hard?
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It happens!! You did nothing wrong.You could add more air to the tire to further avoid this and just watch your line. Going tubeless might be a good idea if you're up for a change (depending on what/how you are riding).

mtbr member
    You didn't use a lever to put the tire on did you? It's possible that was partially damaged during install. More than likely it was caused from hitting a sharp rock too hard though, a 2.4 should be relatively hard to pinch if you have decent pressure.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    You didn't use a lever to put the tire on did you?
    I don't own a tire lever. I partially inflated the tube and tried to be careful when feeding it into the tire during install. The tire edge was not difficult to fit over the rim of the wheel so I didn't think anything of it.
    Ride it into the ground.

mtbr member
    Get some tires levers as it makes things much easier. As for the flat it looks like a classic pinch flat. Often you get two slits, but sometimes just one. Depends on the tube took the hit it could be that only one side split.

To prevent you can increase pressure. I have found that 30 psi front and 35 psi rear does a solid job a minimizing pinch flats. This using 26x2.25 tires and 160lbs rider. Even so they still happen from time to time. You can try to ride to avoid hits to sharp rocks, but sometimes it just happens.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.