1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Life is Short...Ride Hard

got a flat, how about a tube eh!

So I got my first flat since I started riding. I feel like a real mountain bike rider now

Luckily I made it back to the car. It actually wasnt till I pulled the bike out of the garage to go for another ride that I realized I even had a flat. It was empty of air.

Anyhow, I need to buy some tubes and patch kits. So Whats the differences between tubes? Do I need to spend a lot on tubes or can I just use cheap tubes?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    There are differences in tubes ,heavy duty, lite weight ,preinstalled slime. In general buy what's onsale. Or go to tubeless,I've worn out tires running tubeless with no flats.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post
    So I got my first flat since I started riding. I feel like a real mountain bike rider now

Luckily I made it back to the car. It actually wasnt till I pulled the bike out of the garage to go for another ride that I realized I even had a flat. It was empty of air.

Anyhow, I need to buy some tubes and patch kits. So Whats the differences between tubes? Do I need to spend a lot on tubes or can I just use cheap tubes?
    http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Tubeless-Kits-C12.aspx

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Ya see above. LBS I picked up my Trance from did the conversion for me for free, I just had to buy a bottle for like $12 or however much it was. Pull crazy thorns out of my tires after each ride and stans just seals it up

I went through a few trail flats which is especially crappy in the AZ summers until I decided to switch over. Wish I did it before I even took the bike out of the shop now

Fat-tired Roadie
    I did generic tubes for a long time.

Recently I got some ultralight tubes. Still the butyl rubber kind - nothing really weird. I didn't pay anywhere close to retail, for the sake of disclosure and the TOU. I was too lazy to be scientific about comparing the old and new tubes, and did 'em at the same time as some new tires. But the lighter tubes and tires do handle quicker. So, at least on bikes I compete on and if I'm ordering at the right time to get my team discount, I'm going to be getting lightweight tubes in future. No downsides, so far.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LvilleFan View Post

I recently purchased four Continental 29er tubes.

I compared the Continental 29er tubes to the Cheng Shin tubes which came stock on the bike and found the following:

> The Continental 29er tube and the Cheng Shin tubes are both made in Taiwan.

> Both tubes had identical manufacturing molding marks, seams, and molded expansion panels.

> The only differences were a slightly different set of numbers printed on the rubber base of the valve stem, a different color valve cap, and a slightly higher price for the Continentals.

I searched for 29er Continental tubes manufactured in Europe, but was told that only some of the 26" tubes are made in Europe, and all their 29er tubes are made in Taiwan.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a used bike from someone and it had slimes. it worked the first time when i ran over a thorn but after a while the slime seems to clog up the valve. I replaced them with maxxis ultralight which weigh in at 125g and I put on mr tuffy tire liner for more protection. 2 months so far no flats. With the ultralights and tire liner it weighs about the same as a standard tube but I have better protection.

Nickel Havr
    Take it up a notch and change the tube on the mountain!
    Then you'll be a mountain biker! Lol

I run Slime Lites... Never had any problems with them.

I ride a lot of rock gardens and see people running tubless blow the tire off the bead... So no tubeless for me!
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .