1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Zee
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Got the bike, what's next

So I just jumped on the mountain biking wagon and got a 2005 Rocky Mountain Trailhead. I need to know where to get the following online and what brands do you recommend for each. I never bought these things before, or should I go to a LBS to get them but they're much more expensive? Did I miss anything else? I wish if there is was a store like newegg.com but for bikes. I'm 6', 166lbs, and got a small head if that would help for size recommendation

Helmet
    Multi-tool
    Camelbak
    Bike pump
    Spare tubes (presta valve 26 x 1.5/2.2)
    Tire levers (to change flats)
    Protective eye wear
    Gloves
    Chain lube (Pedros)
    Padded Bike shorts
    Riding jersey

mtbr member
    http://www.performancebike.com/index.cfm
    http://www.pricepoint.com/
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/

helmet: cheap ones are just as good as expensive ones just not as stylish. The Bell X-Ray and Giro Havoc are nice helmets that arent too expensive.
    multi-tool: i carry a Topeak Alien II, has pretty much all the tools you might need for trail tune-ups.
    bike pump: get a small one for on the trail, Topeak makes nice pumps.
    camelbak: there are lots of brands of hydration packs, get something that has enough
    room for extra clothes and all the necessities. ebags.com has tons of packs to choose from, sign up on their email list for discounts.
    tire levers: get Pedros levers for $3, they are awesome.
    eyewear: if your doing really hardcore riding you might need a fullface helmet and goggles, for regular riding a pair of decent sunglasses is probably all you need.
    gloves: i like full finger gloves. a lot of bike specific gloves are overpriced and not very durable, hardware type stores sometimes have better gloves.

mtbr member
    helmet: I've had good luck with Louis Garneau helmets

eye wear: hardware store safety glasses work well as cheap protective eyewear, and you can even find some decent styles

hydration: My hydration pack is from MEC. I don't know how they are for orders from the US, but their packs are bulletproof.
    Check out Crankarm; a mountain biking journal from two brothers in Ontario, with trail reviews, equipment reviews, and photos.

Ride long, ride hard.
    Apr 2006

Lbs

Go to a local bike shop (LBS) and get fitted for a helmet. A helmet that doesn't fit or sits on your head incorrectly will not protect you in a fall or flip. The same goes with clothing, go to your local LBS and see what fits for you. Do this for your jersey, gloves, and shorts. Even though your bike shop might be a little more money, you will be supporting your local riding buddies. They will be able to help you choose some of the right gear also. Saving 10 cents on an inner tube by buying it online is not worth it, neither is returning a pair of shorts that do not fit, it looses riding time! Ride on bud.

By The Way: I have a Blackburn pump and a Crank Brothers multi-tool with a set of Park tire levers, Camelbak hydration system for longer rides, and a Polar Insulated Water Bottle for shorter rides, or urban riding. I use White Lightening lubes and degreasers. I have two Bell hemets and Pearl Izumi shoes, socks, gloves, jerseys, and shorts. Along with some Colorado Cyclist Shorts (which are my favorite) and some Nashbar gear.

pain don't hurt
    I won't go down the list totally, the other posters covered it well. Just a few words of advice.

1. Absolutely get full-fingered gloves. The extra protection is well worth it. My hands don't get that hot anyway. I LOVE my Specialized gloves (Enduro Long) - $35. Had them for almost 2 years, very little signs of wear thus far.

2. I just started using eyewear after riding without it for about 1 1/2 years. Definitely get glasses, it makes a big difference. I picked up a pair of Optic Nerve Membrane glasses from pricepoint.com for a VERY reasonable $20, and they come with 3 sets of different colored lenses. No excuses not to have a pair when they're this cheap.

The only other thing I've found rather invaluable is a simple cyclo computer. You can get one for less than $20, and it's cool to know you fast/far you've pedalled.

Good luck, welcome to this great sport!

ride hard take risks
    I like PR's LBS suggestion. To add a little to it you can check on line then go to the LBS & aske the sales person if they will give you a price for a all you gear that would be close to the net prices you have. Some times they can come close, if you buy from them then when you need them you know they will be there for you. You dont have to buy everything at the LBS but if you show your face & buy from them you have a place to go when needed.

local trails rider
    Helmet, Protective eye wear, Gloves, Padded Bike shorts, Riding jersey:
    Try before you buy. Go to the LBS (or whoever else might be selling this stuff locally).

Multi-tool, Bike pump, Spare tubes (presta valve 26 x 1.5/2.2), Tire levers (to change flats), Chain lube (Pedros)
    Not that much $$$ really. Go to the LBS.

Camelbak
    If you really want to buy something online...

edit: Do you already have a suitable pair of shoes? Stiff soles (meaning the shoe does not bend easily) are a must.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zee
    So I just jumped on the mountain biking wagon and got a 2005 Rocky Mountain Trailhead. I need to know where to get the following online and what brands do you recommend for each. I never bought these things before, or should I go to a LBS to get them but they're much more expensive? Did I miss anything else? I wish if there is was a store like newegg.com but for bikes. I'm 6', 166lbs, and got a small head if that would help for size recommendation

Helmet
    Multi-tool
    Camelbak
    Bike pump
    Spare tubes (presta valve 26 x 1.5/2.2)
    Tire levers (to change flats)
    Protective eye wear
    Gloves
    Chain lube (Pedros)
    Padded Bike shorts
    Riding jersey
    helmet: i'm actually quite fond of the trek series of helmets that feature the rear adjustment wheel for a snug fit.

multi-tool: serfas, topeak, make excellent bike multi-tools.

camelbak: the main consideration is size, i wouldn't go smaller than 2 liters.

bike pump: the crank brothers power alloy pump features a psi gauge and adjustment.

spare tubes: performane bike sells them in packs of three, good enough to get by in a pinch and very reasonable.

tire levers: will most likely come with your multi-tool.

protective eye wear: cheap stylish home depot safety glasses offer uv protection. i use the easton z blades. go clear or go with a yellow/amber/blue tint.

chain lube: pedro's, you made the right decision. you can actually purchase pit kits complete with degreaser, sponge, brushes, lube.

shorts: can't help ya there, i wear dickies when i ride.

riding jersey: performance bike sells their "house brand" for as little as 20.

mtbr member
    You can get best reviews on most of the products at Product review section of this forum. I used it all the time and try to contribute as much as I can.

Keeping you bike clean , especially the drivetrane will longate its life. clean the bike after wet and muddy rides right away and get a cheap brush to dust off the chain, cassette and crankset. lubing before rides will help with shifting and save some money by going to home depot and buy a gallon of simple green for $7 or so for cleaning the chain.It is definetely cheaper than 4.OZ chain cleaner that goes for same price.Simple green also works better.I use pedro's chain cleaning kit and it takes me 2 minutes to clean my chain.

Tire pressure is very important. If you have too little higher risk of getting snake bite flats and handling will be off. too much and you'll be bouncing off rocks on climbs. Pressure depends on your weight and trail conditions. Just experiement. Same goes for you fork and rear shock. It is a good idea to get a shock pump and play with settings on trail to fine-tune shocks until you know what you like.

If you have questions search on this forum 1st and then ask questions. I am still learning new things here after being a serious rider for 6 years. Most important get out and ride.