1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Got $1200-$1500 to spend, ideas?

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to make my first serious purchase and need some help. I've been on this site reading reviews and threads for over a month now; finally joined yesterday. I've spent well over 24 hours searching the web and on here and am still unsure.

I'm far from an expert but mostly enjoy riding downhill on trails,fast, and a little tomfoolery, minor jumps/drops. I'm looking for a good all around bike that will take a beating last a long time that I can grow into as my skills increase. I don't want to buy a bike after this anytime soon.

NOt certain whether I should go HT or FS. Am currently looking at a used FS bike for sale, 2009 Pivot Mach 5 but am not stuck on this if there are better options.

Pivot Mach 5 AM Bike

Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Duplicate post from 29er forum. please post in only one forum.

mtbr member
    By the type of riding you describe, you should look for a full suspension bike. That Mach seems to be a great bike, but its not a great deal. I would say its a fair price though.

mtbr member
    Not sure of the size you'd need and the seller didn't list the size of this bike but its not a bad deal. Even though its stated as firm, people can always been talked down a tad.

2012 transition bandit 26 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    My only hesitation is I don't know how the bike has been handled an this person is the second owner. May be better just buying something new. Fair price but not a great deal? Please elaborate.

Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    By the type of riding you describe, you should look for a full suspension bike. That Mach seems to be a great bike, but its not a great deal. I would say its a fair price though.

mtbr member
    I asked and it's a large frame. I do plan on talking him down some. Can't open that link, will try on another browser. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Not sure of the size you'd need and the seller didn't list the size of this bike but its not a bad deal. Even though its stated as firm, people can always been talked down a tad.

2012 transition bandit 26 - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    understood

Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    Duplicate post from 29er forum. please post in only one forum.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Ask for better pics. Look for high res pics and close up on things like the shock, fork, drive train, etc. Ask them when they lasted maintenanced the fork, shock and frame bushings/bearings. Ask them if they've had any issues with the brakes and what they've replaced recently. Just basic questions in general that will hopefully give you an idea on how well the bike was taken care of.