1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Goodbye Blackcomb hello GIANT NRS3 XTC PRO SERIES MOUNTAIN BIKE

lol im counting my chix b4 they hatch but its in the price range and its near by... its for 350 does that sound like a good deal instead of fixing my broke bike? any comments or tips about this bike. or anything to look for when i test ride it or look at it but heres the fact sheet he posted... also im not too familar with the Avid set he says he has if anyone can tell me if BB7s would be an upgrade or not.... heres the facts

18.5 FULL SUSPENSION GIANT NRS3 XTC PRO SERIES MOUNTAIN BIKE.
    NEW CHAIN 1 RIDE
    NEW CRANK 1 RIDE
    1 RIDE ON TIRES STILL HAVE NIPPLES
    GREAT BIKE
    $350
    951-378-1292

CHECK OUT MTBR.COM CONSUMER REVIEWS http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-sus...4_1526crx.aspx

Bicycle Type Mountain bike, front & rear suspension
    MSRP (new) $1,100.00

Frame Construction TIG-welded
    Frame Tubing Material Aluxx SL aluminum
    Fork Brand & Model Rock Shox Judy XC, 2.5"-4.0" adjustable travel
    Fork Material Aluminum/magnesium, single triple-clamp crown
    Rear Shock Rock Shox Sid XC, 3.75" travel

Components
    Component Group Mountain Mix
    Brakeset Avid Single Digit 3 brakes, Avid Speed Dial 3 levers
    Shift Levers Shimano Deore Rapidfire Plus
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore top-swing, top-pull/clamp-on 35.0mm
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore LX SGS
    Crankset Giant, 22/32/44 teeth
    Pedals Shimano PD-M505 SPD
    Bottom Bracket Sealed cartridge
    BB Shell Width 68mm English
    Rear Cogs 9-speed, 11 - 32 teeth
    Chain 1/2 x 3/32"
    Seatpost Titec X-Wing, 27.2mm diameter
    Saddle WTB Rocket V
    Handlebar Titec Hell Bent Aluminum
    Handlebar Extensions Not included
    Handlebar Stem Titec Fast Al
    Headset 1 1/8" threadless Aheadset

Wheels
    Hubs Aluminum disc Q/R
    Rims Mavic X221, 32-hole
    Tires 26 x 2.00" Hutchinson Mosquito
    Spoke Brand DT stainless steel, 14/15 ga. (2.0/1.8mm) double-butted
    Spoke Nipples Brass nipples

mtbr member
    May 2011
    The brakes are rim brakes, so yes BB7s would be an upgrade. But they would require new hubs or complete wheels at the very minimum, and that's if the frame and fork have disc mounts already.
    Quote Originally Posted by STT GUY View Post
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Made in Canada
    BB7s an upgrade with respect to what? In any case BB7s are the best mechanical disc brake available and highly respected on this set. If you mean it has BB7s instead of the spec'd brakes, then yes its a very good upgrade.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Tpm, the OP said he wasn't familiar with the brakes on the bike and asked if BB7s would be an upgrade. So the answer is an absolute no brainer yes, even if it already had discs. Butttt, its going to be a very expensive upgrade, costing more than the asking price on the bike when its all said and done.
    Screw the search function... you're new, ask the question(s). If anyone gets thier undies in a bunch it's thier problem.

Made in Canada
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash Test Dumby View Post
    Tpm, the OP said he wasn't familiar with the brakes on the bike and asked if BB7s would be an upgrade. So the answer is an absolute no brainer yes, even if it already had discs. Butttt, its going to be a very expensive upgrade, costing more than the asking price on the bike when its all said and done.
    I'm a bit confused because the OP states in BB7 in a thread in Brake forum that his Blackcomb has BB7s?? Which really threw me off. BB7's will only set you back $100. Which is awesome bang for the buck. I ride BB7s myself.
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yes, I believe he put BB7s on the Blackcomb and is now askingif it would be worth putting them on the Giant, if he buys it. The Giant currently has rim brakes, so to put BB7s on it he needs more than just the brakes, he needs dics compatible wheels and disc mounts (unless the Giant already has them). If the Blackcomb has decent wheels (not the stockers obviously) then he may be all set.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I would not suggest buying that Giant, since it's not going to ride how you want.

The NRS was design to be ridden with the shock topped out, as such it doesn't give you all the traction a full suspension bike should, and it definitely isn't the most active and plush design. It was design as a XC racing frame. I honestly think you'll be disappointed with it.