1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Good Versatile Jump Bike For a Beginner?

Greetings everyone! I have been mtb'ing for well over 4 years now. I currently own a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR and love it to death! I do some small jumps and drops, maybe 1 to 2 feet but mostly do nice long trail rides on it. I want to get into jumping to change it up a bit so I am asking all you veteran jumpers out there what would be a good bike for a newbie jumper? My stumpy has 5.5 inches of travel so maybe it would be a decent jumper but I am not sure of what the limits are for stumpys in that regard. Should I get something like the Specialized P.1 or maybe go with a downhill bike like the Specialized BigHit. Would it be alright to buy used? What are your thoughts fellas? Bottom line I am looking for a bike that I can get the most use out of at a great value! Thank you for your advice!

T.W.O
    Big hits show up all the time for good deals used. It wouldn't be a designated dirt jump bike. But it would be better for the money in my opinion. No doubt you could huck it off stuff, but you could also ride it more than a small, dj bike like the p1.
    ------__o
    ----_`\<,_
    ---(_)/ (_)

Picture Unrelated
    Depends on the kind of jumps you're talking about. The P bikes are, at least for beginners, suited only to the manicured dirt jump sets you find hidden away in most places. Steeper lips, doubles, and shortish runs are the typical usage. You'll also find good riders on them in all sorts of places but they were designed with dirt jumps and skate parks in mind.

Something like a BigHit or an SX Trail (probably a better jumping choice in the Spec line compared to the BigHit) is the bike you'll want if your trail system includes jumps. If you have some jumps built as part of your trails then an SX Trail style bike is more appropriate.

Consider these two videos:
    A) Specialized P Bike Testing

B) Berrecloth riding his SX Trail

Compare what kind of riding you're thinking about with those two videos and that should help you decide. Of course, the P bikes are way cheaper and are certainly fun to ride. With a set of knobbies they can be taken on lots of terrain but big booters in the woods are probably not their ideal terrain. If you're just looking for a "once in a while" bike then the P bikes are probably a pretty good choice. If you're looking at a wholesale change in the terrain you'd like to start riding then get an SX Trail. The Stumpy can always be there for when you want to actually ride up the hills so you can supplement with whatever fits your needs best.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fureak View Post
    Greetings everyone! I have been mtb'ing for well over 4 years now. I currently own a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR and love it to death! I do some small jumps and drops, maybe 1 to 2 feet but mostly do nice long trail rides on it. I want to get into jumping to change it up a bit so I am asking all you veteran jumpers out there what would be a good bike for a newbie jumper? My stumpy has 5.5 inches of travel so maybe it would be a decent jumper but I am not sure of what the limits are for stumpys in that regard. Should I get something like the Specialized P.1 or maybe go with a downhill bike like the Specialized BigHit. Would it be alright to buy used? What are your thoughts fellas? Bottom line I am looking for a bike that I can get the most use out of at a great value! Thank you for your advice!
    Maybe the kona line here is the dirt jump\trail
    http://www.konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=five-o