1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Good Upgrade???

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Good Upgrade???

I am looking to upgrade my wheelset on my FSR. I'm looking at the Easton XC One wheelset. I can get a new set for $300 right now and they weight 1590g compared to my 2100g. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That's an excellent upgrade for you!You're shaving off over a pound of rolling weight for only $300,that's not bad at all.Where can you get them for that much or are you getting an deal from a private seller?

Chris

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A friend of a friend has them in his garage new in the box and just wants to get rid of them. At jensonusa.com they were 350 for a bit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Looks like Jensons still has them for $350.Cool,I'll have to get me some one day.

I win.
    I ordered a set from jenson. Oh man are they great!

They roll effortlessly. Seem stiffer than my old 36 spoke set up. And oh yeah the weight is super nice.

They accelerate faster and climb much better!

I say if you can go for it! It's the best wheelset you can probably get for that price!
    09 Giant Anthem X3
    07 IBEX Trophy Comp X7