1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Good shoe for platforms

Bike came with shimano clipless but I just ordered a set of Shimano Saint platforms. What is a good shoe to wear for this pedal. Should I get some sort of hybrid flat/spd combo incase I want to switch back to the clipless?

mtbr member
    I recently went through this same thing.

My bike came with SPD pedals but l changed them for flats.
    I tried a pair of SPD compatible shoes but the soles were too inflexible, plus the ridges on the soles meant that the shoes never seated properly on my Wellgo flat pedals.

Everybody suggested Five Tens for flat pedals, so l bought a pair, and they are superb. The flat rubber soles grip the pedals very well indeed.....too well at times, making it impossible to shift your foot position without lifting it off the pedal.

I found that flat soled VANS work well. The soles still grip flat pedals, but you can move your foot on the pedals easier, and they are half the price of Five
    Tens.

Both have their advantages. Five Ten do a semi-waterproof version which can cope with a limited amount of water/mud without your feet getting soaked. But it costs nearly 100 in the UK.

The VANS cost 50.

Picture Unrelated
    Best: 5.10 or Teva shoes designed for flat pedals.
    Decent: flat soled skate shoes.
    Not good: anything with big lugs or a lot of ramp from heel to toe.

Don't get a hybrid shoe; if you're going to ride flats get flat shoes and if you're going to ride clipless get clipless shoes. They don't mix back and forth very well because you'll always be making a compromise somewhere. If you decide you want to go back to clipless get a clipless shoe. Plus that way you'll have options if you want to switch back and forth because you'll have two sets of shoes and pedals. If you get a hybrid shoe now you'll have to cut the plug in the sole out to convert to clipless and that will leave you a big hole in the center of the shoe which won't grip the pedal.

After about 8 years in clipless followed by 4 or so using skate shoes I am now running 5.10 impacts and there really isn't anything else I would want from a flat shoe. Stiff enough to prevent my foot from fatiguing but not so much that I can't feel the pedals, grips like nothing else on my Straitline and Wellgo pedals, and so far they've worn pretty well.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Lots of info on the forums about this topic for sure.

I recently ordered my second pair of Teva Pinners. The first pair lasted just about 2 seasons, riding in all types of weather. Wool socks and they were even ok for me in the Colorado winter months. Lighter and I think they stay more cool than 5.10's. Stick like glue to my DMR V12 pedals.

If your not super picky about color, they can be had for $35 from Jenson.

Teva Pinner Tar Color Shoes 2012 > Apparel > Shoes and Footwear > Mountain Bike Shoes | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

If you have to have black, the price more than doubles.
    Intense Spider29 / Motobecane FlyTi29

Long live the ASR-7
    It's almost 510s or nothing. I've got a pair of 510s Freeriders and a pair of Teva Pinners. My 510s were wet from riding the day before so I rode with my Tevas and the difference isn't even funny. The grip of 510s is like no other. I wanted to try something different and like it, but there is no comparison.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I got a pair of 5.10 Impacts for Xmas that my wife paid $84 (with shipping) for on sale from $120. They are absolutely fantastic. Stick like glue, form fit, super comfy. So glad I got them. You will not be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    What is the difference between the Impacts and Sam Hill? Just the color?

Picture Unrelated
    Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    To my knowledge, yes.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member

Good shoe for platforms

I absolutely love my Five Tens. They are almost too grippy.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gouda Cheez View Post
    I absolutely love my Five Tens. They are almost too grippy.
    I can vouch for Five Tens as well. I did a lot of trial and error on the subject and I ended up picking my Five Tens. I am very satisfied with them...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I like my Teva Links, but I understand they won't be making them anymore. My next pair will likely be Five Tens.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I bought a pair of 5.10s on closeout to see if the would live up to the hype and they definitely do! Mine fit a little big on the inside and the laces are a bit too long but they do grip like no other, it made a significant difference.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Good shoe for platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Quik View Post
    Unless I'm looking at the wrong shoe, there's a huge difference. The Impacts have a "one piece" wrap around tongue (I think called thanks "slingshot tongue") and the laces feed under the flanks of the shoe above the tongue. Gives them a little more abrasion protection. I'm not sure if all 5.10s have the cupped heel, but the Impacts do. I think they're a little more substantial in the construction as well... More durable and breathable than the Sam Hill.

mtbr member
    I can vouch for VANS as a lower cost alternative.

I have two pairs of flat sole Vans, the first pair are years old and have been soaking wet numerous times, plus I have put them through the washing machine a few times as well, and they are still in pone piece.

I have a new pair which I have found are great for mountain biking. The soles are grippy, not so much as Five Tens but certainly good enough.

I also have a pair of Five Tens so can compare the two. Both shoes are similar in being "resistant" to water and not waterproof.
    They are both equally comfortable.
    The Five Tens have super grippy soles, which can be TOO grippy at times, making it difficult to move your foot position on the pedals.
    The Vans, while not as grippy, are still very good and in no way lacking.
    Both shoes are similar in sole stiffness and pedal "feel" through the shoe, although the Five Tens might just have the edge here.

Given a choice I would take the Five Tens, but at almost twice the price of the Vans it is a close thing.

Good shoe for platforms-imag0342.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I got some 5.10s off their website on closeout for about $50 shipped. They had a few styles available around this pricepoint. Im not really sure how much cheaper you want to go (Vans) but realistically they are not going to work nearly as well, or last as long. I went with the dirtbags, so I can actually wear them to work as a casual shoe and not have to bring another pair along for afterwork rides.

Theres no need to have to spend $150+ dollars on shoes for biking unless of course you have a big ego or wallet driving your buying habits.

Custom User Title
    The usual 5 10s. I had a pair of Impacts. Worked wonderfully. Never lost grip. Never. Great shoe. However the glue on the toe area started peeling on both shoes after a little under a year of use so now they can talk to me. The freeriders I just bough a couple months ago seem to be doing well. Still early to say on durability. They are much lighter than the Impacts.

Maybe the reason my Impacts didnt last me too long is because I eventually started using them as my daily shoe. Im also doing that with my freeriders now too... But theyre so comfy compared to my other shoes...
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Nothing wrong with glueing those suckers back into usable condition. My boots are 15 years old, had to epoxy them back together 3 years ago. They still work fine and I abuse the hell outta em. Not worth spending $250 for a new set when $5 and 15 minutes is easier to come by.

Custom User Title
    Thought about it, but then i realized I could stick my finger through the sole and feel my toes. I do still wear them though regardless. Just not for riding. They are now my shoes I can get dirty and not care. I might still glue them just to see if theyll stop talking to me.
    Slightly faster than a speeding snail.

mtbr member

Good shoe for platforms

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Archer View Post
    The usual 5 10s. I had a pair of Impacts. Worked wonderfully. Never lost grip. Never. Great shoe. However the glue on the toe area started peeling on both shoes after a little under a year of use so now they can talk to me. The freeriders I just bough a couple months ago seem to be doing well. Still early to say on durability. They are much lighter than the Impacts.

Maybe the reason my Impacts didnt last me too long is because I eventually started using them as my daily shoe. Im also doing that with my freeriders now too... But theyre so comfy compared to my other shoes...
    I've thought about buying another pair for daily use. I really like my Freeriders.

mtbr member
    I've been using a pair of Merrell's with Vibram soles I had laying around, seem to work pretty good, got a bit chewed up until I remove the 3rd sprocket... Probably should go with the flow and get some 5 10s after reading the other reviews