1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Good resource?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good resource?

I recently got into MTB, and I want to learn from the start about the mechanics, maintenance, and cleaning. In the long run I hope to be able to confidently add my own upgrades, make adjustments, etc.

Can anyone recommend a good book or resource that I could start with? I've read some good posts on here with great info, but I was hoping to find something that had visuals that I could easily refer to without needing a computer.

Thanks in advance guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I believe there is a link to a maintenance and cleaning guide stuck at the top of the Beginners Corner Thread.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Pink Bike Tech Tuesdays
    Youtube
    Park Tool videos
    You can learn much or all you need to know and you are going to benefit on trail from every minute you invest. You will ride harder and longer with proactive maintenance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks guys, I will definitely check them out. If you know of any hardback books/manuals that would be great as well. I like the idea of having something I can easily carry around or read in my spare time.

mtbr member
    Here's a good book on the mechanical side of things. It's one of my go-to reference books.

Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance: Lennard Zinn, Todd Telander: 9781934030592: Amazon.com: Books

Here's one of my favorite online resources for more esoteric questions:

Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

If you want to geek out on skills/training, here's a good book + website:

Mastering Mountain Bike Skills - 2nd Edition: Brian Lopes, Lee McCormack: 9780736083713: Amazon.com: Books

https://www.bikejames.com/

Cheers,

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Rob, I appreciate the help.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    looking for the same thing as well. thanks guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina View Post
    Here's a good book on the mechanical side of things. It's one of my go-to reference books.

Zinn & the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance: Lennard Zinn, Todd Telander: 9781934030592: Amazon.com: Books
    Rob
    I have this book as well. Although I have a an older copy.

Nothing on Mtn Bike maintenance is really hard if you have tech reference and the right tools.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

beater

Good resource?

Another vote for Zinn and Mastering Mountain Bike Skills. I have both, and recommend them highly.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.