Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

good portable speaker.

I was wondering could anybody recommend a portable speaker that I could attach to my bike. i was looking at boombastic and skullcandy. Thank you

since 4/10/2009
    lord, how I want to smash portable speakers when some db rides by with one in the woods.

I would prefer it if they used headphones.

mtbr member
    My state you can only use one ear, I figure a small speaker that is just loud enough for me . I was looking as the skullcandy shrapnel. I don't want it blaring down the trail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

since 4/10/2009
    they're not just loud enough for you. trust me on that.

use the single earbud, or leave the music off

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post

This.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    That honestly is true. Just wear one ear bud and spare everyone else on the trail from having to hear your music. This seems to be the popular thing to do now and honestly drives me, and a lot of others crazy. I don't want to hear anyone else's music when I am trail riding.

Having the music low enough to where only you can hear it will likely mean you cannot hear it either over trail and bike noise.

Suggestion is enjoy your ride, the scenery and anyone else you may encounter on the trail.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

Bikesexual
    Couldn't agree more, I ran into a guy w/one of those the other day is like bro the boombox era is ova Is a preference of course, but getting out to me means getting out and enjoying nature, birds, bugs, wild life.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I have a small Bluetooth speaker taped to the back of my helmet. I got it at Walmart for $10. It is a cube of about 1-inch. I keep it pretty low, but find it lets hikers know I'm coming. It's better than a bear bell.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Welcome to Altec Lansing

you are now paired, enjoy

great speakers except that BS noise above

altec lansing mini h20
    get velcro strap it down somewhere

http://www.alteclansing.com/en/al-products/mini-h2o-speaker/

thing is every target store has like ten of these, so they are

waterproof
    shockproof
    actually good sound
    volume controls
    6 hour runtime
    actually in stores [instead of ordering one, and hassle returning if defective]

it's the startup sound that sucks, just deal with it. cannot be bypassed

but great speaker

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    FYI, the youtube videos of guys shredding and music blaring? the music is added to the video later at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    I like listening to the music in my head. No matter how loud I turn it up, I can still hear what's going on around me...unless it's the wife.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    I was doing some riding this weekend and came across listening to some reggae music on an external speaker. I am new to MTB, but I thought it was kind of odd - looks like this might be pretty normal?

I found it annoying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    Welcome to Altec Lansing

you are now paired, enjoy

great speakers except that BS noise above

altec lansing mini h20
    get velcro strap it down somewhere

http://www.alteclansing.com/en/al-products/mini-h2o-speaker/

thing is every target store has like ten of these, so they are

waterproof
    shockproof
    actually good sound
    volume controls
    6 hour runtime
    actually in stores [instead of ordering one, and hassle returning if defective]

it's the startup sound that sucks, just deal with it. cannot be bypassed

but great speaker
    Thank you for answering the question.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in SoCal View Post
    I have a small Bluetooth speaker taped to the back of my helmet. I got it at Walmart for $10. It is a cube of about 1-inch. I keep it pretty low, but find it lets hikers know I'm coming. It's better than a bear bell.
    Thank you for answering my question

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Oh dear god no. No one wants to hear whatever it is any of us like to listen to in the first place, not to mention when its blaring from hollow tin-can speakers, the approaching doppler shifted squeal matched only by flat dopplered droning as you depart. Other groups snicker, roll eyes and cringe at your music selection as you pass. They later recall your douchery over beers. You are compared to the mom-jeans hiker and the crazy horseback lady for most amusing encounter of the ride. You are that guy.

Because your state only allows 1 ear? On trails? Rangers are out and about stopping bikers for their dangerous dual-headphone scofflawing? They have forensics on it, they got em working in shifts!

For the love of mountain biking, please don't be that guy.

mtbr member
    Have you guys come in contact with some low rider mountain bike with giant subwoofers on it. I am just talking about a little speaker directed at me. My other question is would you mind the speaker if it had music you like? Or do you just like the sounds of nature.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    No one likes your music, or mine, or anyone's. Besides their own. Trust me.

mtbr member
    I just turn up the volume on my phone and put it in my pocket.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I can't imagine how sweaty your phone must be after a ride. the salt from your sweat must be eating through the plastic by now. i hope you got phone insurance.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    Have you guys come in contact with some low rider mountain bike with giant subwoofers on it. I am just talking about a little speaker directed at me. My other question is would you mind the speaker if it had music you like? Or do you just like the sounds of nature.

John Williams might be tolerable. Something else that might be cool would be Blaster Kits mounted to the handlebars where you can fire at fellow riders with John Williams blaring. You can take turns being Luke, Wedge, Po, and the imperial pilot. Bringing that to the trails might even bring different trail users together for a change. Hikers with plastic light sabers, equestrians could wear storm trooper gear and give out orders to everyone.

Bikesexual
    When I started I brought my mp3 with me on my 2nd or 3rd ride, that was the first and last time.

OP, maybe get one of those "sounds of nature" CDs you can buy @ Target?

since 4/10/2009

I don't want to hear anyone's music, regardless of what kind of speaker it's coming from.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    The way I see it, working out to music is for the gym. I go to the woods precisely because I need to get away from all the artificiality of modern life. That includes music. Do I get mad if someone's listening to music? Nah, they'll be out of earshot soon enough and I really do enjoy music. Occasionally I may shake my head in amazement and pity them in the knowledge they may never experience the serenity that can be found once we forget to be distracted by it all.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    John Williams might be tolerable. Something else that might be cool would be Blaster Kits mounted to the handlebars where you can fire at fellow riders with John Williams blaring. You can take turns being Luke, Wedge, Po, and the imperial pilot. Bringing that to the trails might even bring different trail users together for a change. Hikers with plastic light sabers, equestrians could wear storm trooper gear and give out orders to everyone.
    That would be quite cool

mtbr member
    I can't imagine how sweaty your phone must be after a ride. the salt from your sweat must be eating through the plastic by now. i hope you got phone insurance.
    My thighs don't sweat much.

mtbr member
    I don't want to hear anyone's music, regardless of what kind of speaker it's coming from.
    If you don't like my music then you can go pound sand.

Only time I really have my tunes going is when I ride by myself. Only time someone will hear my music is in passing.

since 4/10/2009
    If you don't like my music then you can go pound sand.

Only time I really have my tunes going is when I ride by myself. Only time someone will hear my music is in passing.
    Doesn't mean I cannot still express my displeasure at listening to your music when I don't want to listen to your music.

mtbr member
    Sure, just roll up and tell me you don't like my music and I'll still tell you to go pound sand.

mtbr member
    Sure, just roll up and tell me you don't like my music and I'll still tell you to go pound sand.
    I like you lol

Don't worry, be happy!
    G
    No, and yes. To ditto, no one wants to hear your music, of any quality audio or genre, as you go riding by. It's guaranteed that everyone you pass is having a WTF moment with your speaker.

All fat, all the time.
    Grumpy folks.....

Has it been raining lots or what? Sheesh, no different than a loud hub buzzing by.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Grumpy folks.....

Has it been raining lots or what? Sheesh, no different than a loud hub buzzing by.
    Haha...now thats annoying.

I have a friend that kept telling me to shut my hub up when I first got my Zipp wheels.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    LOL, I knew this thread would deliver when I saw the title.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning, you didn't even think to ask

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    the boom box contraption I have seen used on the trail is comical, as is the rider. something that Up in Smoke could identify with.

In fact, I was thinking that this demographic, if it weren't puffing through so much disposable income, could create demand for a self enclosed environment riding suit. Not a space suit per se, but still enclosed and climate controlled with the latest in audio systems. could even have a "Chron" enviro setting where the rider inserts the resource and the suit is filled with magic smoke. it can provide the most compelling outdoor experience for all who abide in tunes and buds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark View Post
    Sheesh, no different than a loud hub buzzing by.

I'm developing an app that plays recordings of different brands of hub sounds through your portable speaker so you can cycle through CK's, I9's, Onyx, etc. depending on your mood. Could also create custom hub sounds. PM me if you want to send some kickstarter $$$.

Evolutionsverlierer
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    I'm developing an app that plays recordings of different brands of hub sounds through your portable speaker so you can cycle through CK's, I9's, Onyx, etc. depending on your mood. Could also create custom hub sounds. PM me if you want to send some kickstarter $$$.
    Nice, the one thing I do not get with listing to music while riding is that you are canceling out one of your senses, even worse are riders on motorbikes but all is forgiving when the music is SLAYER!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Avid is spelled wrong, there should be an 'O' in there.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Nice, the one thing I do not get with listing to music while riding is that you are canceling out one of your senses, even worse are riders on motorbikes but all is forgiving when the music is SLAYER!
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah gotta go play Skeletons of Society right now. Or Expendable Youth . Cuz it's the same song. Or pretty much anything on Seasons come to think of it.

All fat, all the time.
    That's awesome

EAT MORE GRIME
    LOL 18 buck DX speaker that will die in 2 days, and you have to wait 2 months
    for RMA

my suggestion of altec lansing h20 waterproof is valid, and remains so...you can
    a) find them in nearly any city with a target store
    and
    b) friggn reliable but if it fails go to target and swap it that day
    c) sound is great and LOUD if you want
    d) who cares what others thinks of your speaker on a bike,
    OP wanted an answer I gave a mighty good one

EAT MORE GRIME
    can you do Hugi road hub circa 90's? 8 speed, loudest hub on earth

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    can you do Hugi road hub circa 90's? 8 speed, loudest hub on earth
    Ha, I remember those!

I also want it to integrate with D-12 and mimic formula 1 race car sounds, upshifting and downshifting whenever you do and matching your acceleration. Also braking squeal/chatter, and options to choose between muscle car, Ferrari, etc.

mtbr member
    Try these if they are still around. Should be able to keep the volume lower and be LESS annoying on the trail.
    Mini-speakers for bike helmets let riders hear more than just their music
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Try these if they are still around. Should be able to keep the volume lower and be LESS annoying on the trail.
    Mini-speakers for bike helmets let riders hear more than just their music
    Thank you I am going to check those out. Thank you for a solution.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    If you could also do a cassette version, I could get behind this. Until then, Bananarama is my jam!

Name:  sand pounder.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  91.5 KB

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    If you could also do a cassette version, I could get behind this. Until then, Bananarama is my jam!

Name:  sand pounder.jpg
Views: 535
Size:  91.5 KB
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah. Gonna go listen to some Cruel Summer. In fact, gonna go watch Danielsan and Mr Miyagi beat up the cobra Kai.

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah. Gonna go listen to some Cruel Summer. In fact, gonna go watch Danielsan and Mr Miyagi beat up the cobra Kai.
    Wax on, brother. Wax on.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Oh dear god no. No one wants to hear whatever it is any of us like to listen to in the first place, not to mention when its blaring from hollow tin-can speakers, the approaching doppler shifted squeal matched only by flat dopplered droning as you depart. Other groups snicker, roll eyes and cringe at your music selection as you pass. They later recall your douchery over beers. You are compared to the mom-jeans hiker and the crazy horseback lady for most amusing encounter of the ride. You are that guy.

Because your state only allows 1 ear? On trails? Rangers are out and about stopping bikers for their dangerous dual-headphone scofflawing? They have forensics on it, they got em working in shifts!

For the love of mountain biking, please don't be that guy.
    Must suck to live your life caring that some random person you came across in the woods thinks about you.

I came across the thread because I too was looking for small speaker for the bike. The way I see it, having someone riding in front of you that you cannot tell you would like to pass them or worse riding at you around a corner and doesn't hear you because they have headphones in is much more annoying that having to hear music for a minute. Plus, it may also help avoid collisions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BugI_FTW View Post
    Must suck to live your life caring that some random person you came across in the woods thinks about you.

I came across the thread because I too was looking for small speaker for the bike. The way I see it, having someone riding in front of you that you cannot tell you would like to pass them or worse riding at you around a corner and doesn't hear you because they have headphones in is much more annoying that having to hear music for a minute. Plus, it may also help avoid collisions.
    I think you are confusing something here: it is not "caring what others think about me" as in trying to be a "people pleaser", it is being a rude ignoramous who is oblivious to the negative etxernality of their selfish actions in a public space.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    good portable speaker.-caddyshk_045pyxurz.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 12:00 RIDER View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Caddyshk_045Pyxurz.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	183.4 KB 
ID:	1082322

Awesome! I love it when Caddyshack can contribute to the discussion. "So let's dance!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I think you are confusing something here: it is not "caring what others think about me" as in trying to be a "people pleaser", it is being a rude ignoramous who is oblivious to the negative etxernality of their selfish actions in a public space.
    ^ This. Could not have said it better. I could care less what people think about me, trust me I really don't care. But I also don't walk around acting selfish and like I am the only person in the world.

I also don't blast music on my deck when I am outside having beers with my wife at 11:00 at night either. Not because I care what my neighbors think, but because it is rude.
    Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    Redline Conquest
    Breezer Thunder One
    Moto Boris
    GT Tequesta
    GT La Bomba
    Charge Grater
    Nashbar Carbon Road

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Quote Originally Posted by BugI_FTW View Post

You present the false choice of headphones vs. speakers as if those are the only two options. Besides the fact that its inconsiderate, in what sport do top level competitors listen to personal music during play? None that I can think of. Let's leave the obvious collision risk aside (it is present with both speaker and headphones). Riding at your top performance requires a hyper-aware state of full concentration, with full use of your senses. Secondly, you may not realize it but you hear things and become aware of them before you are cognizant that they are occurring. Drifting/brapping sounds different. Dirt sounds different as it gets wetter or drier, or harder or softer throughout the ride. Your mind is aware of all these things, even if not consciously. Thirdly, studies show direct correlations between hearing and balance, for example this one. Fourthly, hearing is our quickest sense, because, this kept us alive (rustling in the woods, fight or flight response). For the most obvious example of all of this, try you favorite trail with heavy earplugs or over-ear protection or both and see if you feel tuned into the trail. You feel disconnected and slower.

Pastafarian
    Please don't do it. They'll all laugh at you.

mtbr member
    Altec Lansing Mini Lifejacket 2. Comes with mounting hardware to install on a handlebar I can hear mine up to about 35mph on my motorcycle.
    http://www.alteclansing.com/en/al-pr...-lifejacket-2/
    If the haters don't like it so what.

mtbr member

I don't care if people laugh at me, and it is loud enough for me. I can still hear around me. Where I ride I don't see people.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Good luck. If you can ride with a backpack there are some options. You may be able to put a tube type speaker (JBL or Walmarts brand 808 Hex) in your botlecage even if you have to zip tie it in.

Heck with the haters. If they don't like to hear your music they need to pedal harder and drop you. I don't personally use a speaker but they don't bother me at all. It is rare to hear another riders music for more than a couple seconds. Besides, typically it's a public trail meant to be shared by all. If you want silence buy your own land and make your own trail.
    Last edited by j_wynn; 08-25-2016 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Update

Pastafarian
    Public trail doesn't equal a license to be a douchey bag of cacks.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    ^ This. Could not have said it better. I could care less what people think about me, trust me I really don't care. But I also don't walk around acting selfish and like I am the only person in the world.

I also don't blast music on my deck when I am outside having beers with my wife at 11:00 at night either. Not because I care what my neighbors think, but because it is rude.
    I was recently on a five day wilderness raft trip. A group passed us that had speakers blaring from their boat. I'm sure they were enjoying it but for us it was a total wtf moment.

mtbr member
    Take care out there. Just make sure you don't wreck your bike. That speaker could be the first to be demolished.

I was at Duthie Hill in the Seattle area last Sunday and a young kid had a speaker on his bar as well. He wasn't blasting it loud but it was odd to see him downhill and run the practice jumps with it.
    2018 Giant Defy Advanced 2
    2018 Giant Fathom 2

mtbr member
    Listening to music while riding a bike/running should be reserved for fat people at planet fitness who are 'totally gonna get in shape this time'

Banshee Bikes
    Slaphead Legion
    Wachusett Brewery

Mr. Buck E. Fikes
    Quote Originally Posted by mattyice View Post
    Listening to music while riding a bike/running should be reserved for fat people at planet fitness who are 'totally gonna get in shape this time'

[/thread]

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Doesn't bother me any, I just keep riding past them.. I envision 50% of the posters in this thread as grumpy old men who sit on their porches and ***** at their neighbors kids.. "back in my day we didn't even have speakers!" sheesh

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by evan.fiorentino View Post
    Doesn't bother me any, I just keep riding past them.. I envision 50% of the posters in this thread as grumpy old men who sit on their porches and ***** at their neighbors kids.. "back in my day we didn't even have speakers!" sheesh
    THats what I figure. Where I go it's either streets or open marshland so I don't see a soul. Plus I figure it lets the snakes and other animals know I am coming so they stay out of my way.

Cycologist
    THats what I figure. Where I go it's either streets or open marshland so I don't see a soul. Plus I figure it lets the snakes and other animals know I am coming so they stay out of my way.
    No, we're the old men who come flying past you on the trail. If you're on the streets or open marshland, we don't care 'cause we're not there. But in the woods, I don't want to hear it.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Personally I don't mind the noise, I only have to listen to it for a second as I blaze past them, and occasionally I'm reminded of a song I like. With my night rides I've been using my headphones. With some good music it really get's you in the zone, but one of these nights I fear I'm going to mow down a hiker, bambi, or an oncoming cyclist because they can't hear me coming and I can't hear them. I guess it's a good thing I got that helmet.

used to be RipRoar
    I do the same for a few years now, I can easily lower/raise volume without even getting it out of my pocket. No salt issues. No complaints, ever.

That said, look into the Amazon speakers. I have the Echo at home and its absolutely amazing. I've been thinking about the Amazon Tap which is portable. Full voice control, and really good voice control at that. Easily mute, pause lower volume when approaching humans. Easily turn up the volume just before your drop.

Luckily where I ride I rarely see other people, but when I do I always lower the volume just out of respect for others.

peace

Pastafarian
    Maybe you would rather watch YouTube videos about biking. Many have music and you wouldn't piss off the rest of the world.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TavisB View Post
    Please don't do it. They'll all laugh at you.
    How is it that you have a Join date of 2005 and a total of 12 posts, and 3 of those posts just happen to be in this thread? To me it appears that someone here has an alternative account that they use to help propagate their view point.

Quote Originally Posted by evan.fiorentino View Post
    I envision 50% of the posters in this thread as grumpy old men who sit on their porches and ***** at their neighbors kids.. "back in my day we didn't even have speakers!" sheesh
    I think you might be right.

mtbr member
    Lol yup ladies and gentlemen we have an Internet troll.

Pastafarian
    Not an alternative account. More the grumpy old man I guess. People playing their crappy music in public triggers me.

mtbr member
    I personally need my focus when I ride and music distracts me.
    2018 Giant Defy Advanced 2
    2018 Giant Fathom 2

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Battery View Post
    I personally need my focus when I ride and music distracts me.
    Same here and I enjoy that "focus" time, just think "trail/bike/nature". I tried it on my first two rides (ear plugs) or so but is just not my thing and I love music, but not while I'm riding a bike.

In dog years, I'm dead.
    There's not a technical solution to every personal conflict, but there is to this one: bone conduction. Doesn't cover your ears, but also not audible to others. Keep you tunes to yourself. Wired & Bluetooth varieties.
    https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...KbLBoC-ejw_wcB
    Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might.... (Ecclesiastes 9:10)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Same here and I enjoy that "focus" time, just think "trail/bike/nature". I tried it on my first two rides (ear plugs) or so but is just not my thing and I love music, but not while I'm riding a bike.
    ^ this

Riding single tracks with some speed takes 100% of my concentration, that's what makes it so awsome. No music or any other interference for me.
    High on dopamine

used to be RipRoar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravityaholic View Post
    ^ this

Riding single tracks with some speed takes 100% of my concentration, that's what makes it so awsome. No music or any other interference for me.
    I could never ride with earplug/s, something around my neck or a speaker on my bars for that matter.

I little tune coming out of my pocket lower than conversation level is what works for me when climbing mainly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

banned
    Jul 2012
    Lol yup ladies and gentlemen we have an Internet troll.

Or maybe just a lurker.

mtbr member
    CHIPS - Universal Bluetooth Wireless Snow Helmet Audio - Outdoor Tech®

They make a wired version as well for about a hundred bucks less.

mtbr member
    Duplicate

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TraxFactory View Post
    I could never ride with earplug/s, something around my neck or a speaker on my bars for that matter.

I little tune coming out of my pocket lower than conversation level is what works for me when climbing mainly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Playing from my phone is what I typically do. The volume is fairly low...so people don't get super butthurt from "hearing" my music.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I like to listen to music whenever I am doing something that requires concentration. The music actually helps me focus. That probably sounds weird to most, but it's what I have found to be true in my lifetime. I don't like wires, and I don't like earbuds in my ears preventing me from hearing others (similarly, I don't like others that are prevented from hearing me). I listen to my music at a volume where I can faintly hear it while riding. I am not under the delusion that I am the only one that can hear it at that volume level, so I do not listen to it when others are around. I usually ride alone at off times, so this is typically not a problem for me. Currently I am using my phone speaker but am looking for an alternate solution, like a clip-on speaker on the strap of my hydration pack. I know that I would rather be subjected briefly to someone else's music than to have them not hear me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Dont be that guy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Do that around me, and
    I might just hop off my bike
    and start dancing.☺

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2016

This. Or enjoy the trail, the ride, the bike, the nature....

Cycologist
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say the guys (and gals) who are pro speakers while MTBing are in their teens or twenties, those of us in our 30s and beyond enjoying MTBing to escape the stress of a spouse, kids, career and life in general and prefer not to hear music blaring (even a little) while we ride. Maybe some older riders wear headphones though.

Ok, if you don't fall into the above, go ahead and post.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the guys and gals who are vehemently anti-speaker when they don't even know when, at what volume, or around which (if any) people it will be used are probably old farts who can't stand the idea that someone could enjoy the same hobby they enjoy but for different reasons.

mtbr member
    I've found that the speaker I use doesn't carry sound very far even with the volume turned all the way up but it sounds loud to me. My wife said she had to be right next to me to hear it but as soon as we got more than about 10' apart she really couldn't hear it anymore. And for the record I'm in my mid 40s and sometimes just like to hear some music while I ride

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Repth View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the guys and gals who are vehemently anti-speaker when they don't even know when, at what volume, or around which (if any) people it will be used are probably old farts who can't stand the idea that someone could enjoy the same hobby they enjoy but for different reasons.
    and your age is…??? You seem to have left out that info.

Yes, I am an old fart.

Pastafarian
    I'm guessing he's young. It doesn't appear that he has taken any high school level English courses yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by TavisB View Post
    I'm guessing he's young. It doesn't appear that he has taken any high school level English courses yet.
    Engineers are not the most effective communicators, sure, but I was intentionally mimicking the post above mine.

Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    and your age is…??? You seem to have left out that info.

Yes, I am an old fart.
    I'm poking fun at you. My age is not relevant to that.

Pastafarian
    Lol. At least that post had some punctuation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have a JVC charge speaker and an mp3 player that i attach to the handlebars with a portland design works waterbottle cage mounting bracket,its survived 2+ years of trail riding..and yes,its fairly loud,and i assume fairly obnoxious to some percentage of fellow trail riders.so far however i have had far more positive comments than anything negative. my observation is that headphone users are far more oblivious,i can still hear everything going on around me just fine,only takes one button to turn the speaker off if i come upon a group of riders on the trail.
    i dont always ride with the speaker,mainly when i feel like going fast.but im only going to do that at times when theres no one else on the trails,or so few that it serves more as a warning that someone else is on the trails....
    and i'm 51 and otherwise a rigid steel frame riding crusty retro grouch,the bottle cage that holds the speaker is the only carbon fiber bit i ever bought....
    if you see/hear some old dude blasting Rush on a Surly in the desert its probably me!

mtbr member
    Shut your noise makers off! It's ****ing annoying for those of us who enjoy the escape from all the noise of civilization.

What the hell has happened to common courtesies and common sense?

That Sleestak
    Yeah! NO MORE NOISE! That goes for all of you running Hope hubs, too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Shut your noise makers off! It's ****ing annoying for those of us who enjoy the escape from all the noise of civilization.

sure,stop driving your car because its annoying to those of us live car-free!

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post

I'm not sure, but you seem to be a prime example of having neither. Who says this guy is going to go blaring his music through the woods with other riders around? Nobody. That's certainly not what I use mine for. If the trails are vacant, or I'm riding on the street, I play music out loud so I can hear my surroundings. These are both environments where nobody is bothered. Nearly every person who came in here to **** on this thread did so under the assumption that OP would be blaring music around other riders. That is not the only use of one of these speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yeah! NO MORE NOISE! That goes for all of you running Hope hubs, too!

And get those squeaky brakes fixed! And while you're at it, no talking, or breathing loudly! SOME of us are trying to enjoy nature, damnit!

Oh, and while you're at it, leave your damn bike at home! We're all here for the quiet nature experience and the sound of bike riders just ruins that!

mtbr member
    I swear people think it is some huge boom box from the 80 and it's not. For the record I am 39. I also said that where I ride I barely see anybody the times I go. I live next to the largest contiguous brackish marsh on the west coast of North America. So everybody that's losing their minds I won't see you any way.

That Sleestak
    Reminds me of those old cartoons, hehe.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Reminds me of those old cartoons, hehe.

Lmao yup

mtbr member
    I find these work great.Name:  bike-basszilla.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  128.8 KB