Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Lmao, not that big lol but that is how some people's perception is lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Repth View Post
    I'm not sure, but you seem to be a prime example of having neither. Who says this guy is going to go blaring his music through the woods with other riders around? Nobody. That's certainly not what I use mine for. If the trails are vacant, or I'm riding on the street, I play music out loud so I can hear my surroundings. These are both environments where nobody is bothered. Nearly every person who came in here to **** on this thread did so under the assumption that OP would be blaring music around other riders. That is not the only use of one of these speakers.

And get those squeaky brakes fixed! And while you're at it, no talking, or breathing loudly! SOME of us are trying to enjoy nature, damnit!

Oh, and while you're at it, leave your damn bike at home! We're all here for the quiet nature experience and the sound of bike riders just ruins that!
    Ok, so you're a righteous guy who happens to live in a desolate area. You're b!tchen! Seems a little strange that you're so defensive of speaker use on trails that you claim to be vacant where no one is bothered... as my post wouldn't apply to you. OR does it? Perhaps you can set me straight without extreme (idiotic) suggestions like leaving my bike at home?

My experience ranges from hikers playing Mexican polka music at a level that carries long distances (at it's worst when I HIKE) to clownhillers with every pad available strapped to them pushing up listening to speed metal or gangsta rap as if they're taking bong rips in their moms basement. This type of experience is frequent in my neighborhood, although not exclusive to it. All these trail users have the right to be there without question, so...

Do they have the right to spread their noise pollution when the majority use trails to escape this?

Given your posts I'm pretty sure I know your response so don't bother... I will not be baited into a retard fight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    Yeah! NO MORE NOISE! That goes for all of you running Hope hubs, too!

I find squealing brakes really annoying.
    Especially when they are mine.

Hoping for Endless Summer
    This seems to be a new thing. I've seen it quite a bit the past few months both mountain biking and hiking. It's awful when hiking in the wilderness because that's what we try to get away from. It was a group of about 30 teenagers playing One Direction.

I've never seen a mountain biker do it in the forest, only at the bike park and it's usually reggae. I don't really mind it there, kinda seems to fit at least where I live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by EatsDirt View Post
    Ok, so you're a righteous guy who happens to live in a desolate area. You're b!tchen! Seems a little strange that you're so defensive of speaker use on trails that you claim to be vacant where no one is bothered... as my post wouldn't apply to you. OR does it? Perhaps you can set me straight without extreme (idiotic) suggestions like leaving my bike at home?

My experience ranges from hikers playing Mexican polka music at a level that carries long distances (at it's worst when I HIKE) to clownhillers with every pad available strapped to them pushing up listening to speed metal or gangsta rap as if they're taking bong rips in their moms basement. This type of experience is frequent in my neighborhood, although not exclusive to it. All these trail users have the right to be there without question, so...

Do they have the right to spread their noise pollution when the majority use trails to escape this?

Given your posts I'm pretty sure I know your response so don't bother... I will not be baited into a retard fight.

Of course they should not be spreading their "noise pollution" like that--it's grossly inconsiderate to do such a thing. Is that the response you were expecting? Do you disagree with that response?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Only place I have done this is at Burning Man. It is certainly appropriate there.

Tip: Make sure the wiring is very well secured. Had a cable get sucked into the rear derailleur.

Another reason not to take a sound system on the trail is that good bass = heavy

mtbr member
    Yes i am bumping an old thread here, as i was looking for info about speakers. While out on a ride two days ago i came across 3 out of 4 riders with small portable speakers, and being the sheep that i am, wanted to look into it myself. With the people i encountered i couldn't hear their music until about 10 feet away, and then couldn't make it out until passing them. Led Zeppelin from one, Bon Jovi from another, and some electro stuff from the third. As i continued to ride I thought to myself about how many people would get all worked up by these unremarkable encounters. It had no impact on my ride, and the people riding by said hello and seemed happy (which is more important to me i guess). Who cares. Meanwhile, you can hear the highway at any point in these woods because the park straddles one. Hearing a highway is pretty common occurrence in most of the trails around me (MA/NH/ME).

If people are playing music on some device where they took no effort to limit the sound escaping, then i can see people getting agitated. If someone has a directional speaker that you can't hear other than 10' away, and this really grinds your gears, you have the problem in my opinion. I'm all about caring about negatively impacting others; but seriously, people can handle 5 seconds of second hand music on a trail. Try focus on enjoying the outdoors in your way. You can get back to basking in the sounds of highways and airplanes right after the rider passes.

I ended up buying the Outdoor Tech Buckshot 2.0 for $37 on Amazon. Not a hefty investment for this experiment. I tend to listen to music at all times possible with exception to skiing and riding. I started listening to music when solo skiing, and will see if I like it on a bike. I never wanted to use headphones to block out nature or someone riding up behind me; but these little directional speakers seem pretty cool and allow you to hear around you as well.

mtbr member
    Really the only time a speaker is acceptable, is when your drag racing your gravel bike

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Daholla77 View Post
    I was wondering could anybody recommend a portable speaker that I could attach to my bike. i was looking at boombastic and skullcandy. Thank you
    The one you DONíT bring along on a bike ride!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12