mtbr member

Good Philly LBS?

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a quality (i.e. competent, friendly, not rip-off prone) LBS in Philadelphia (or surrounding areas)? I've been to a couple of the places near me (near St. Joes) but have not been very impressed with the level of customer service, let alone the prices.

mtbr member
    I know if you drive about 20 minutes past K.o.P. you can find the best ever! It is a great shop with great prices. Since they only have one store it takes a while to get pieces and parts ordered. I ordered 2 16 gram threadless cartridges about a week ago and they still aren't here. In Philly I am not sure. There is a huge bike shop that had a hugh sale a month ago.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Racer9
    I know if you drive about 20 minutes past K.o.P. you can find the best ever! It is a great shop with great prices. Since they only have one store it takes a while to get pieces and parts ordered. I ordered 2 16 gram threadless cartridges about a week ago and they still aren't here. In Philly I am not sure. There is a huge bike shop that had a hugh sale a month ago.
    Hey Racer9, what's the name/location of the store that you speak so highly of? I guess ~20 min from KoP would put it somewhere near West Chester?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I live north of Philadelphia and have a good bike line near me. The only other shop that I go to (and would by a bike from or let them work on my bike) is Wooden Wheels in Newark, DE. That is the best bike shop period. Good prices, friendly and helpful people. And no BS.

The worst bike shop was Bustleton Bikes, the actually tried to rip me off and I had to call Specialized on them. Specialized recommended Wooden Wheels.

mtbr member
    Hi Anand, is that the Montgomeryville Bike Line? Actually, I got a rather nice deal on my current bike there and found the owner to be quite nice/reasonable. Unfortunately, I was hoping for something a little closer.

PS It's interesting that you don't like Bustleton Bikes. A friend of mine got a couple of bikes there recently and said that he like the place. Each unto their own, I suppose.

PPS Anand: By any chance, do you have a sister named Radha (longshot)?

In any case, thanks for the advice. I will check out the Wooden Wheel the next time I am in that area. I think that I'll try to do my own repairs etc...

mtbr member
    No. it is west. It is by Ursinus College. The link is in my sig.

Hoopy Frood

Philly LBS

You might want to try posting the question over in the Pennsylvania regional forum. You'll probably get more feedback there. It might help to provide more info as well - are you looking to buy a new bike or just get some components or get some work done, etc.

I live outside Philadelphia and mostly just do mail order since I like wrenching almost as much as riding. When I do need to visit an LBS for mountain biking stuff, I usually go to Bean's Bikes in Paoli. They know their stuff and don't give you a lot of attitude. If you're in the area, it's worth a visit.

- khill
    I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. - Thomas Jefferson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd
    Hi Anand, is that the Montgomeryville Bike Line? Actually, I got a rather nice deal on my current bike there and found the owner to be quite nice/reasonable. Unfortunately, I was hoping for something a little closer.

PS It's interesting that you don't like Bustleton Bikes. A friend of mine got a couple of bikes there recently and said that he like the place. Each unto their own, I suppose.

PPS Anand: By any chance, do you have a sister named Radha (longshot)?

In any case, thanks for the advice. I will check out the Wooden Wheel the next time I am in that area. I think that I'll try to do my own repairs etc...
    Yes, it is the Montgomeryville Bike Line. They are quite nice. My issue with Bustleton Bikes was a while ago, but I still would never go back.

Sorry, no relation to a Radha. Is she hot?

Suburban Redneck
    Quote Originally Posted by lushmd

The people at Bike Line in Montgomeryville are all very friendly and knowledgeable, have great service, and don't mind working on bikes purchased elsewhere. Not a large inventory of parts/accessories, but they will try to get almost anything.
    Plus, if you talk to them enough, they'll invite you to ride with them in their "secret" spots..............

mtbr member
    Im from outside of Philly, as well and have been to several area shops. I would recommend Breakaway bikes if your looking in the city. They have two shops and awesome service people. If your looking outside of the city, i'm not too fond of the Bike Line chains, but they have a lot of good stuff, just some of the people arent cool. I bought my bike at Cycle Fit, out near Springfield mall, off of rt. 320...they have a good staff, and some older model bikes so you can get a good deal on some stuff depending on what you are getting.