1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Good pedals for ~$30

Any recommendations on pedals?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    These aren't bad at all. I used them for years before I went clipless. They hold your feet pretty well and "escaping" them is super easy so you can put your feet down quickly if need be. They go for around $30-$45

Power Grips Sport Pedal Kit (Set Pedals + Straps + Hardware), Pedals / Clips / Straps, PG-KIT-BK/TAN/XL Bicycle Touring & Camping Gear with Forum, Articles, Reviews, Information, Advice, and Tips.+++

-S

Gumnut Peddler
    $7 over budget, but they are worth the look. OK weight and grip well.

Fully CNC machined parallelogram design pedal body with a super strong cro mo axle running on sealed cartridge bearings.

Wellgo CNC Platform B54 Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    Burning fat, not oil.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I think the Redline Alloy pedals with replaceable pins cost about that. Might even have sealed bearings.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The technique in this video will let you use about any pedals with even cast pins like on a Walmart bike and trailrunners.
    Straight Lines with Fabien Barel - YouTube

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    $7 over budget, but they are worth the look. OK weight and grip well.

Fully CNC machined parallelogram design pedal body with a super strong cro mo axle running on sealed cartridge bearings.

Wellgo CNC Platform B54 Flat Pedals | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com
    +1 on the wellgos. I bought some from a LBS (different model though) for $40 and they have proven reliable and grippy. I have also heard good things about the deity compounds which I almost bought. They are apparently very light weight.

And thanks for the vid eb. I have been wondering myself about foot/heel placement lately.

mtbr member
    Any platform with good spikes/studs will do, but the DMR V8s are a gold standard with the local riders:

DMR V8 Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

banned
    Aug 2012

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    I don't know how you feel about polymer pedals. They're not everyone's cup of tea, but I've been using these on my bikes for a few years now.

They have a large contact patch, and tons of pins. Their bearings have held up fine, though I don't do mud or rain, so can't comment there. They are also a little lighter for being polymer instead of metal.

Odyssey Twisted PC Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Eastern CFR Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Gumnut Peddler
    Those pedals are pretty chunky. I always aim for a thin pedal to give maximum clearance.
    Burning fat, not oil.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    This looks like the right place to ask. What do you guys know about these pedals. Azonic Fusion Magnesium Pedals at Price Point

B.Ike
    I've got these on two bikes. they were on sale for 32 most of the fall but have gone up a bit.
    Pedals/Mountain at Price Point

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    Those pedals are pretty chunky. I always aim for a thin pedal to give maximum clearance.
    That they are, no doubt about that. If clearance is an issue, these would be trouble.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I Love the Wellgo Mg 1. They have super grip and have even thrown them on my cx bike in muddy conditions. I think they run about 35$ give or take

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    I have the Forte Convert pedals. The color options..... Suck, but the pedals are freaking sweet for $40.

turtles make me hot
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I just picked up a pair of Nashbar Verge pedals (i can't post a link) and a pedal wrench the other day to get free shipping ($50, get free shipping, one day only)

The Verge looked nearly identical to nukeproof proton, (I think HT components has a set similar too)

Hopefully they work out well, couldn't find any reviews on them..

mtbr member
    I second the Forte pedals. They have a nice large platform and great grip even with just Vans shoes. Spin pretty nice too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Universal Cycles -- Stolen Thermalite SP Pedals

These are great pedals I've had them on my single speed for a year now, I ride 3-4 times a week about 15 miles each ride. I have hit them on rocks and trees many many times and there is almost no where on the pins or body. For $19 they can't be beat.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robselina View Post
    Any platform with good spikes/studs will do, but the DMR V8s are a gold standard with the local riders:

DMR V8 Pedal > Components > Pedals, Cleats, Toe Clips, Straps > Pedals | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    The V8s are excellent pedals for the money. I had my Animals which have tremendous grip but were pretty heavy. I switched to Blackspires which are much thinner than both but lack some traction. Had to repin a few.

Cow Clicker
    Here's a threat about pedals that might help you: Pedals
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Wellgo mg1 on awwyeah.com. $40ish, but magnesium. Best str weight price ratio.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone4s's

I kill hills.
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielrg_usa View Post
    I second the Forte pedals. They have a nice large platform and great grip even with just Vans shoes. Spin pretty nice too.
    x3 on the Forte pedals...

Only a little bit more than you are looking to spend and slightly lighter than the B54s. I got mine at performance bike. They are really low profile which I really liked and just about any shoe sticks to them like glue with my fivetens its a match made in heaven. They also came with a complete extra set of studs. My buddy bought some wellgos for a little more than I paid for my fortes and his didn't even include the studs.. Which seemed odd to me?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfb12 View Post
    This looks like the right place to ask. What do you guys know about these pedals. Azonic Fusion Magnesium Pedals at Price Point
    Im almost certain I saw those in my LBS and they were seriously thick. They also are not sealed bearings. I would say you could do better for the money. Id recommend save a little longer and put $40-50 in a set of pedals and youll get a major performance difference: sealed bearings, replaceable pins and body, better grip.