1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Good for a noob?

Does this look like a good bike for a FNG? I was thinking about a Moto Fantom Comp but I could go with this DB and save myself $350....This is a brand new bike btw.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...3651&Type=bike

MTB skillz = NADA
    I think it would be fine, but I'm a noob as well. I have learned that as long as you like/love your bike...who cares what everyone else thinks. I've had my bike a month, and I have a nasty man crush on it (my wife is getting jealous of the time I spend on/with my bike).

JUST MAKE SURE IT FITS YOU!
    Since I don't like writing, I don't have a blog to pimp. This space for rent.

No good in rock gardens..
    Nothing wrong with that, as long as it suits your purpose (it's a cross country / trail bike) and fits.

With NOS bikes it pays to see if there's been a recall on the bike or any components at any point, and if this has been done.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Well my option is to have my buddy build me a FS Ibex Ignition frame, Tora fork, and X7 components. Prolly an avg wheelset and crank...