Poll: Your pain...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Is it a good kind of pain?

I just got a bike and went for my first ride yesterday. It's been a long time since I've been on a bike (except at the gym occasionally) and I'm a bit sore today. I was wondering if this is from poor fit (of the bike) or the need to break in my body.

The only parts of me that are sore are my ass and my hands, specifcally the sit-bones and the pads on the palms of my hands. The rest of me (lower back, shoulders, legs) is fine.
    The ride was just over 22 miles and relatively flat on a well graded gravel road (Leif Erikson Drive in Portland, OR).

I didn't wear gloves or bike shorts, would these have prevented today's difficulty sitting?

Darth Nader
    Bike shorts would help, as would a properly adjusted saddle or one that fits you better. But I wouldn't go out and buy anything yet. If this is your first ride on a bike in a long time it could just be that your body's not used to it. A friend of mine got into mountainbiking not too long ago. His first couple of rides he complained about the same things but after that the problems went away.

As for your hands, I think that's just getting used to it.
    BLOG: http://dirtyrubber.blogspot.com
    Latest entry: 06-13-2005 Annadel Ride

I need more time
    Jun 2004
    yeah if your back etc is fine then the bike fits.

my hands and arse hurt for about a week of my first riding.

now i can ride all day on ANY saddle and get no pain. Tho i do wear gloves coz i like them and they help grip and save my palms if i fall.

Give it a week and everyhting should be good. enjoy biking

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shakes
    I just got a bike and went for my first ride yesterday. It's been a long time since I've been on a bike (except at the gym occasionally) and I'm a bit sore today. I was wondering if this is from poor fit (of the bike) or the need to break in my body.

The only parts of me that are sore are my ass and my hands, specifcally the sit-bones and the pads on the palms of my hands. The rest of me (lower back, shoulders, legs) is fine.
    The ride was just over 22 miles and relatively flat on a well graded gravel road (Leif Erikson Drive in Portland, OR).

I didn't wear gloves or bike shorts, would these have prevented today's difficulty sitting?
    It might be your saddle also. You might want to look into a saddle with love channel, which would relieve the pressure on the soft tissue.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

serious saddle

Quote Originally Posted by wraith
    It might be your saddle also. You might want to look into a saddle with love channel, which would relieve the pressure on the soft tissue.

It does have a 'love channel'. It is a pretty hard saddle... it looks alot like this one, except for maybe less padding:

beautiful noise...

Soreness...

Shakes-

It's most likely your body getting used to things. IOW, it'll go away. I recently got back into mtbing after a long break and went through the same thing for the first couple of weeks. Gloves will help some with the hands as will the settings on your fork (assuming your ride has front suspension). Wait until your toosh gets used to the pressure on your seat bones before you switch saddles though. This will enable you to pick a saddle with an "all around" better fit vs what initially feels comfortable. You might also try slight adjustments to your current saddle and see if that helps at all. Also, I'm in Portland as well! If you ever feel up to a ride let me know. My e-mail's in my name in my signature. Feel free to shoot me a note!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shakes
    A relatively flat ride of 22 miles is enough to make anyones arse and hands hurt. Where you able to alternate between sitting and standing much? What about shifting and braking, do much of that?

What I am getting at, is that long flat rides can really make you go numb, as you don't change your position on the bike much, and that hurts. For instance, I would rather do a 100 mile road century with 10k' of climbing, than 25 miles on the C&O canal (which is flat).

Bike specific shorts and gloves will help, as with anything you get what you pay for, cheap bike shorts are a waste of money (IMHO).

good luck
    Last edited by mtnpat; 08-16-2004 at 10:16 AM. Reason: spellin