1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Dec 2014

good investment?

I live in Nicaragua do dont be surprised if the prices seem expensive. So i just bought a used diamondback outlook 2009 for $140. So far its great. I spent $15 changing tires, brake pads, shifter cables, and just giving it a nice clean up. Ever since I got it though ive hated the gripshift. I got an offer to change them for brand new shimano trigger shifters for about 30 bucks. Is this a good investment? Do you think if I were to re-sell it it would have a good value? Because after it gets trigger shifters its gonna be about rhe same quality as bikes that go around for $200. I want to start spending money on accessories as well, and I want to know which to do first

Fat-tired Roadie
    I hate it when people insist on using words like "investment" to talk about bikes.

It's not going to gain value. It won't make you money. It's usually pretty hard to argue for commute bikes saving money over taking the bus.

I ride because it gives me joy. I accept that it costs me money. I suppose if you want to frame that with a word like "investment," that's your problem.

Of course I have to think about the money involved too. So in your shoes, I'd be asking myself, "Do I need these shifters to keep my bike working right, so I can go riding? If I buy them, will I have more fun when I go riding?"

Bear in mind also that not all shifters are alike. Depending on which grip shifters and cassette you have, the Shimano shifters may not work with the rest of your drivetrain. I don't like grip shift either and it might be worth $30 to me not to have them, but you may need a new derailleur, maybe a new cassette, and you'll probably want new grips.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmantica View Post
    I live in Nicaragua do dont be surprised if the prices seem expensive. So i just bought a used diamondback outlook 2009 for $140. So far its great. I spent $15 changing tires, brake pads, shifter cables, and just giving it a nice clean up.
    So, um where's the part where the prices seem expensive? That all sounds like a bargain to me! Hell, I'm gonna start looking in Nicaragua for a bike mechanic. For $15 here, I'd be lucky to get the mechanic to spin the pedals once.
    ^ Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    There's also a good likelihood your problem is the cable/housing/ferrules. Check those for free movement.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    So, um where's the part where the prices seem expensive? That all sounds like a bargain to me! Hell, I'm gonna start looking in Nicaragua for a bike mechanic. For $15 here, I'd be lucky to get the mechanic to spin the pedals once.
    Consider for moment that most people in Nicaragua don’t make in a day what the average American makes in an hour. The term “investment” takes on a whole new meaning in places like this.

'Tis but a scratch
    Well as an American, I will respond saying that I would spend $30 to make my hobby more enjoyable.

I've never been a grip-shift fan myself. I feel like it consumes some of the grip and results in unintended shifts. But, others like it. To each his own. Its kind of like selling a house with a swimming pool. If the perspective buyer likes pools, it may add value. If they don't it may reduce value. I would just keep the old ones and when/if you sell the bike you can offer to just throw those in, too.

Your bike and its shifters will go down in value as time passes. So, I would base your decision on whether this expenditure will make you happier during the time you own the bike...and not worry about the next guy.

Reluctant Tree Hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by Betarad View Post
    Consider for moment that most people in Nicaragua don’t make in a day what the average American makes in an hour. The term “investment” takes on a whole new meaning in places like this.
    I know this. I was attempting to be a little bit funny. Guess I failed.

But yeah, if I was attempting a more serious answer, I'd say if trigger shifters will make it a more pleasurable ride for you, OP, then get them. I don't think it's really going to make the bike as a whole that much more comparable to a $200 bike except in your perspective, but that's what really matters, right?
    ^ Of course that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. -Dennis Miller

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Yeah here services are unbelievably cheap but products may even have twice the price

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I've ridden my $10 set of Shimano RevoShift grip shifters for about 4500 km and to this point they've been as reliable as a shifter can be. No unintended shifts either - and I do have my handlebars so narrow, with bar ends and of such a shape that my hands are on those shifters all the time.
    Last edited by praivo; 2 Days Ago at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    $15 changing tires, brake pads & shifter cables is not that much anywhere. Are you sure you're doing the conversion right?

I have the opposite problem (I want a nice pair of grip shifts), but I don't want to change my Shimano RD quite yet. Despite the hand wringing, I'm guessing those $30 will be $30 well spent if you use the bike often. Eso si, no lo hagas pensando que los vas a recuperar cuando la vendas.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Does SRAM still do Shimano-compatible grip shifters?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Does SRAM still do Shimano-compatible grip shifters?
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...-twist-shifter
    https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...-twist-shifter

Shimano still makes 6, 7 & 8 speed twist shifters too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmantica View Post
    I live in Nicaragua do dont be surprised if the prices seem expensive. So i just bought a used diamondback outlook 2009 for $140. So far its great. I spent $15 changing tires, brake pads, shifter cables, and just giving it a nice clean up. Ever since I got it though ive hated the gripshift. I got an offer to change them for brand new shimano trigger shifters for about 30 bucks. Is this a good investment? Do you think if I were to re-sell it it would have a good value? Because after it gets trigger shifters its gonna be about rhe same quality as bikes that go around for $200. I want to start spending money on accessories as well, and I want to know which to do first
    Don't worry about how it compares to other bikes as long as you like it. If you don't like the Gripshift and changing to triggers would make you happier when you're riding it, and the price works for you, it could be worth doing. One thing to keep in mind is that most of the time, you'll also need to change the rear derailleur along with the shifter (front is probably fine). So account for that, and possibly another shop visit to adust/install everything too. It might not hurt to try a little adjustment/maintenance on the stuff you have first.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cobba View Post
    Yeah, the low end is covered. 10/11 speed, not so much. Plus I haven't had the greatest experience with my Shimano/SRAM FD setup. I would suggest avoiding it if at all possible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Saladin View Post
    You could literally ship your bike there, get it fixed and ship it back to the US for the same if not less money you would spend for a mechanic in the US.