1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Is this a good deal?

Hi all,

Currently borrowing my dad's Cannondale F9, but am wanting to step into my own bike to not have to worry about returning home with a broken ride. I came across this locally, and was wondering if it's a good deal or not? It appears to be a 2013 Rockhopper being sold by a pawn shop for a healthy discount when compared to new:
    SPEACIALIZED ROCKHOPPER 2013 - 27 SPEED MOUNTAIN BIKE

Thanks in advance,
    Matt

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    No. Bike path fork which consists of grease and a spring with plastic bushings.
    For about the same.
    Look at the 2013 Marin Bobcat 29 on ebay while they last. It has a real trail ready fork with metal bushings, a sealed oil damper, adjustable rebound, tapered steerer, 32mm stanchions and weighs 2lbs.less.
    I recommend this all the time but have zero connection.
    2013 Bobcat Trail 29

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    No. Bike path fork which consists of grease and a spring with plastic bushings.
    For about the same.
    Look at the 2013 Marin Bobcat 29 on ebay while they last. It has a real trail ready fork with metal bushings, a sealed oil damper, adjustable rebound, tapered steerer, 32mm stanchions and weighs 2lbs.less.
    I recommend this all the time but have zero connection.
    2013 Bobcat Trail 29
    Thanks for the info! I will keep searching ebay, as it seems now there is only 1 listing for a 17" frame, which I believe would be the size for me at 5'8"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    They add listings some times, but you never know. You can get info from the completed listings. For fun/difficult trails the fork is the most important component by far.
    I would go with a 17" at your height unless you have unusual dimensions.
    Last edited by eb1888; 07-08-2014 at 03:51 AM.

I'd rather be on my bike
    For the Florida trails, that Specialized will be just fine. eb1888 failed to see that you are near Tampa based on the Craigslist ad posted and has yet again suggested a bike that he claims that he is not affiliated with, but a post history search may prove otherwise. I wouldn't think that there would be gnarly mountain biking there. OP - what kind of terrain do you ride?
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    The pedals turn, not just the left one, but the right one too.
    2014 miles - 2040/2500

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah I would be more interested in the kind of riding you do. The specialized would be a good starting point, you can always upgrade to an epicon for 200 of ebay down the road if you feel the fork isn't enough.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Hi There!
    If the OP lives in the Tampa area and he's riding Alafia, Balm Boyette, Santos trail then I agree he'd probably want a better fork.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Lotsa guys around Tampa are on fs bikes, so you have some decent trails.
    If Crosslake doesn't list a 17" at 597 + ship or lower you have another comparable option.
    Just a little more effort to get where you want to be.
    Bike Direct has a Gravity Point 1 with Alivio/Deore drive and an 'X' series bike path fork.
    The bike does have good slack geo and a shortish chainstay measurement.
    $419.
    You would have to do the Suntour upgrade from Nick at Suntour to the Raidon on the Marin for $200. You lose the tapered steerer, but not critical.
    Those forks are currently backordered for another month.
    $619 total.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yes, I plan on riding Boyette, Alafia, Flatwoods, etc. boyette and alafia both have some decent elevation (keep in mind were still talking about Florida). Ideally I'd like to have something that wouldn't fail fairly quickly out of the gate.