1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Is this a good deal?

Hello all. I'm completely new to the world of mountain biking, and I'm looking into getting my first bike. While I was looking through my local Craigslist ads, I stumbled upon this GT Zaskar LE. Can anybody offer some input as to whether or not I should check this bike out? I will be riding in South Florida, so I don't think I need a full suspension bike. My budget for a bike is around $600-$800, but If i don't have to spend all that money, then I would prefer not to. I would rather spend that on equipment like a good helmet and other gear. Oh, and if it helps, I'm 5'11 and weigh 180lbs. Thanks in advance!

GT ZASKAR LE BIKE - Easton tubing - USA - OBO

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Probably a 2000 model or from around that era if that's what it actually is, it looks to have been repainted.

If it's a GT Zaskar LE, I think that they came with XT/XTR derailleurs and shifters not LX. If I'm right it's been downgraded.

It isn't suited to a rider that's 5'2" to 6'0" as stated in the ad, it looks to be a large frame that'd be more suited to a rider that's 6'+

I like how the disc brakes on it aren't mentioned in the ad, probably because they're cheap low quality.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It's always hard to tell without seeing something in person but the bike looks like it wasn't abused. The fork is a little long on travel for the frame size. I believe the frame was made for a 60mm fork. Like cobba pointed out, the original Zaskar had XTR components. Bikepedia is a good website to research older bikes. The bike is roughly 14 years old... just keep that in mind.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Looks like a good deal for the price. Pretty stiff frame, so don't expect any sort of a smooth ride or anything, but they're good bikes and that one looks to be in great shape.

Kinda tough to call the year on that bike - I don't know that an early 2000's Zaskar would come disc-ready. Maybe you can ask the seller - I think it could be a good somewhat newer - Zaskars seem to have come with V-brakes up until at at least 2004 or so. Either way, it'll take disc brakes, which is good.

At 5'-11", you're in the size range where a 'large' sized frame could be a good fit for you. The GT's had a tendencey to fit kinda small from what remember too. I think it's worth a shot.
    Sinister Bikes
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I don't know that an early 2000's Zaskar would come disc-ready.
    2000 Zaskar LE's had disc mounts.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...E#.Us5ST7TAMml

Is this a good deal?-2000-zaskar-le.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well lookit that wouldja...no kidding.

Tough to tell if the frame in the ad is even set up for rim brakes though - can't see any bosses in the pic at all; guess they could have been unscrewed and it's just the angle of the pic that's hiding the standoffs.
    Sinister Bikes
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Looks like there's something where a brake boss would be.

Is this a good deal?-zaskar1.jpg

mtbr member
    If it is a legit Zaskar LE, it has all downgraded components(except maybe the brakes) and doesnt hold the same value. It looks like it has been pieced together(ex: bontrager crankset). With a 130mm fork the geo will be a little off, but it will be playful and a bit more forgiving.

If you are looking for a nice hardtail in that price range, i think that is a fair price.
    If you are looking for a Zaskar LE, keep looking.
    2008 Redline Monocog 29er SS/Rigid
    2013 Marin Mount Vision XM7
    FS: 26" Black Flag Expert Wheelset (new), Reba 29 Fork

mtbr member
    These are probably better deals in your area for a first bike.

Brand new 2014 Giant Talon 4 27.5- SIZE: LARGE

GIANT REVEL almost new MOUNTAIN BIKE

The parts are XT or anything fancy, but you're also not getting a 14 year old frame which can cause problems in the future.