1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Is this a good deal?

I've found a 2006 Stumpjumper (not disc or anything) that's almost brand new for $750.

Is this a good buy? I've heard people say the frames of the 07 and 08 are far better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    FS or hardtail?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowfun89
    I've found a 2006 Stumpjumper (not disc or anything) that's almost brand new for $750.

Is this a good buy? I've heard people say the frames of the 07 and 08 are far better.

If it is the same as this one I found here:

http://www.daviswheelworks.com/bikes...tumpjumper.htm

then not a bad deal. Granted the stuff is an 06, but it is all solid parts, and the wheels appear to be disc compatible so IF you decide to upgrade you do not need to purchase different wheels. If it is from a bike shop I would go for it, from a private seller maybe offer a hundred or so less initially?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry, it's a hardtail and its from a private seller.

I've also found a 07 stumpy ht comp thats in very good condition. I'm trying to negotiate with the seller a price. If he can do $850 or so I'll def buy the 07 vs the 06 (:

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    My LBS had the '08 Stumpy with the M5 frame,very nice except it had pretty cheap components for a $1500 bike,like Avid SD-3 V's and an LX/SRAM X7 drivetrain.Don't get me wrong those are decent,but not for $1500.I suspect you're paying for the frame and Fox forks for the most part.Anyways,if you can get one of the bikes you mentioned that would be a good deal, especially if you can talk one of them down a bit