1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Is this a good deal on a 2005 Giant Reign 3? please help

Hey guys I am pretty new to mountain biking, I currently ride a 2007 specialized hardrock sport. I was wondering if this was a good deal, and a good upgrade for me to start getting into the full suspension bikes? I do not have much money to spend on a nicer new bike.

GIANT REIGN LARGE MOUNTAIN BIKE (5'10 TO 6'2)

thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    According to Bikepedia, it was originally $1600, and the one in the pic looks great, so I'd say yes!

BikePedia - 2005 Giant Reign 3 Complete Bicycle

mtbr member
    The components seem fair for the price, but not if its been abused and now just cleaned up for the pics.

If your close its worth a in person look I would think.

T.W.O.
    Not a bad deal, the bike looks to be in good condition, question is does it fit you. What size is your hardrock? It's hard to fit a bike on internet if it's a close match then I'd go look at it in person.

mtbr member
    An interesting find you have there - almost everything on that bike has been replaced from stock. The only item i see that is stock on it is the cranks and the rear shock.

Everything else has been replaced (with either similar level or slightly upgraded components).

My concern would be that the bike was ridden very hard - wearing out all those components.....or you have found a bike that is owned by someone with upgraditis (and that is not a bad thing).

If you can check it out before buying, pay real close attention to any play in pivots etc. Look for gouges on the carbon handlebars. Read up on the Marzocchi AM1 fork that is on there and check its features (I had one of those forks that worked pretty good, but a buddy had one that was a nightmare).

T.W.O.
    Check the rear wheel, one of the pic shown it looks crooked to the right side, could be the camera angle, but looking at the relation between the wheel and seattube it looks off.

My guess would be, since he's in Socal, he bought the frame from WheelWorld when it was on sales for $399 and put the bike together, I did with mine.

The first gen Reign was pretty awesome a bit more XC geometry compare to today's trend a bit steeper HA. I built mine from 28.5 lbs spec and settle at 30.5lbs spec and the bike still pedal lighter than its weight. It's a great first FS bike pedal quite firm as Giant really want to hit the market running with the Maestro. If the bike has not been abused and it fits you, it's a good buy.

Merry X-Mas

R.I.P. DogFriend
    I am another WheelWorld 2005 Reign owner. I built two of them up (one for me and one for my son). Both have Marzocchi AM1 forks. The AM1 is decent in stock form, but I had mine upgraded with an RC cartridge and it really came alive after that.

They are good riding bikes and very sturdy. The Manitou 3-Way Swinger Air is a good enough shock and has held up to lots of use and abuse from us. My son still rides the urine out of his and even races the occasional DH race on it as well. Mine is a garage queen these days since I discovered 29" wheels work well for me.

The ad has been deleted, and I can only tell what parts are on the bike in question from other posts, so I have no idea if it's a good deal or not.