1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    scars > tattoos

Good cross-training stuff for biking?

I got to thinking about this first over the winter (turns out snowboarding lots doesn't do the trick), and now that I'm out for a couple weeks due to a hand injury, I want to keep focusing my efforts on building my legs and endurance for climbing. I can't climb very well at ALL right now, and was wondering if anyone had any good ideas or exercises beyond elliptical and bike trainers (my gym only has recumbent bikes) to help with that? Any advice is appreciated. Oh, and I have a chronic pain disorder (fibromyalgia) that makes running tough. Joint impact isn't really great for me.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    swimming....full on aerobic workout....easy on the joints....overall good for ya

that and core workouts....

my .02
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

AZ
    banned
    X2 on the core work , probably the most overlooked component of bike fitness .

My other ride is your mom
    you could earn your turns instead of taking the lift....trade that mono-slab of your board out for a splitboard and start skinning up.....your cardio will benefit for sure.

scars > tattoos
    splitboard isn't in the card$ for me this season, but great idea. thanks for the swimming tip...hadn't thought of that. my school has a pool at one of the campuses (oh, community college...you're cheap, but you're spread out). and i know i need to do core stuff for sure. i've had continuous trouble with back strain since breaking my L1 two years ago. thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Just a theory; Ice Hockey, and inline skating. They use some of the same muscle groups and need core strength with balance.

In the winter I play Ice hockey 3-4 nites a week, I decided to get into MB'n this year to improve my endurance, and explosiveness (a term to describe high energy starts and sprints). And for fun / adventure with the wife and kids!

I had no problem keeping the pace and balance with another experienced rider on my first time out 9 or 10K with some steep climbs and some bogs (maybe he was sandbagging!?).

Maybe the two activities will build on each other.

I also hit my bowflex and jog several times a week.

Blueliner

mtbr member
    +2 on ice hockey. i started playing a couple months ago for the first time and the workout is amazing and helps with core muscles and endurance.

if you're not into hockey or skating (can get pricey to start), you can do various ab workouts and then basic weight training- don't just focus on legs either- do a full body workout. for legs specifically do leg curls, leg extension, squats, calf raises, leg presses. also, mix in some interval cardio- going super hard for 2-3-4 minutes and then ease up for a minute or so. or you can do jump ropes and mix in push-ups in between- amazing workout like that!

to help with climbing, i would do interval training on the stair machine- i would do it hard for a minute (like running up steps) and then go at a slow pace for a minute- i did the same thing on the tread with it being incline at 10 or 12. i would do sprints that way. with the pain you have you'll have to get creative with the elliptical if you can't take the high impact.

good luck!
    - 1995 Giant ATX 870
    - 2011 Salsa El Mariachi XL
    - 2011 Kona Unit (singlespeed) XL

pants on head retarded
    Core and Cardio! You'll need to judge whether your legs or lungs are giving out on a climb and tweak your workout accordingly.

usually cranky
    gotta get that heart going. i find that is the most important thing.

ride the moment
    Hatha and vinyasa yoga will be great for core, flexibility, and help you with your pain in the long run. Squats, lunges, and deadlifts will make your whole body strong but really put some power in the legs. Swimming is great core/upper body/cardio all in one. Add some push-ups and pull-ups and you'll be a powerhouse in short order. Whatever you choose for cardio, make sure you do lots of intervals when working out. Leave the "endurance days" for actual rides.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

/|\
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    one legged wall sits

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Core work, Yoga and any cardio you can do

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too many people take the easy way out by sticking to yoga and/or weights. Intense cardio is where it's at. Yoga is a nice compliment, but not the best use of time if your schedule is tight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    +1 for swimming. It can be as relaxing or intense as you want it to be, and easy on the joints.