1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Good computer recomdations?

Hey, I'm looking to buy a fairly inexpensive computer for my bike. I really only need a speedometer and odomter, but it seems that they all pretty much come with everything these days. But I really don't want to spend more the $20 or $30. I see tons on eBay for that and less, but I have absolutely no idea which ones are decent out there, and which ones are crap, so I need some direction. I just need to know the good brands to look for. I haven't looked at my local bike shop yet, but I'll be heading there next to ask them. I really only need it for my daily exercise on the road. Can they typically be taken off and on easily if I want to take off on the trails? It will be going on my Trek 4300. Also, do most of them come with the mounting kits, or do you usually have to buy those separately?
    Last edited by paqman; 05-11-2007 at 04:40 AM.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    cateye enduro....

but really, any cateye series is suppose to be good.

I have a trek 4300 as well, and it comes with everything you need...

oh yeah, do not lose your instruction book....otherwise, you'll never remeber how to set it up to the way you like it.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    Planet Bike Protege 9. Cost me $20 + shipping. Very pleased with mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

My favorite is the...

Cateye Micro wireless. No cable to run or snag on brush. Typically the base and sensor will have to stay mounted. They are zip tied or held in place by clamps that are a hassle to remove and re-install. The head unit however usually will slide out of the bar mount with little hassle. And I don't know of a cyclo computer that doesn't come with a mounting kit. Most manufacturers offer seperate mounting kits for their computers so you can have a mount on two different bikes and move the head unit between them if you like. Personally I have a computer on each bike. I like to keep track of them seperately. Anyway Cateye is discontinuing the Micro so you should be able to get em at a pretty good price. Some folks don't like wireless computers for various reasons. But I've never had a problem with mine. Your choice of course, but there are plenty of them out there in your price range, both wired and wireless. IMHO Cateye and Sigma are probably the two best.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    I'll sell you a cateye wireless in perfect condition (literally ridden 3 times before I bought a GPS unit) for $30+shipping. PM me if you would like it (normally they're like $50). I had one on each of my bikes so I have three laying around my house now
    :wq

mtbr member
    Thanks guys. The cateye's were actually the ones I was looking at. Plenty of them on eBay. With your recommendations, I will perfectly comfortable with one of those. And just the right price too.
    I need it up, you need it down. You don't see me complaining when you leave it down.

mtbr member
    Any other opinions on the wireless? I think I'm going to go with the Cateye micro wireless, cause it sounds good, but anyone had problems with them?

Edit: Ha, never mind on this, I just did something called a "search" ;-) and found that many people speak very highly of the Cateye Micro. That's the one I'm getting. Oh, and thanks to sonicsuby for offering me his, but I think I'm gonna go for a new one on eBay. Later!

mtbr member
    Specialized's website is selling a great model for about 7 $.
    Well, I was just riding along when...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EliM
    Specialized's website is selling a great model for about 7 $.
    Thanks, I checked that out, looks like it would have been a good deal. Out of stock. But thanks anyway. I think that Cateye looks like a pretty good one, I think I'm gonna go for that one.

Calm Like a Bomb
    cateye micro wireless run for $30-$35 brand new....nice computer

mtbr member
    Just thought I'd update an old thread. I picked up that Cateye Micro Wireless and have been using it for the last 4 or 5 months now, and it's great. However, I have already had the battery in the transmitter die. But no problem, I picked up a 5-pack of batteries on e-bay for $5 bucks.

mtbr member
    I love mine to every day when I ride, so easy to use to.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Wireless sounds really cool, but I bought a cheapie at Wally World for maybe $8, and it works every bit as good as my fiance's $35 unit she bought somewhere (nashbar or performancebike??). Her head unit popped off while riding once, and we're lucky we found it (walked about a mile of trail on foot looking for it.) Shame to lose $35, when you can lose $8.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Your cellphone and a little add on called Bones In Motion are an alternative to a computer. Provides GPS tracking data as well as avg speed, odometer, etc. It can be customized to your needs with split times, mileage alerts, etc. I tried it for the first time last weekend and it was pretty cool. Plus you can view routes, etc through Google Earth which is a nice touch if you want to see exactly "where does this trail really go"

Try it out, only 1.99 for a one day trial. www.bimactive.com