mtbr member
    May 2010

Is this a good buy

Hey all,

I'm just getting into mountain biking and am looking to pick up my own bike now (I've been borrowing a friend's). I saw a Cannondale V800 full suspension on craigslist for 300 bucks. I can't find many reviews of the bike anywhere, and they seemed to be mixed. Is this a good bike? Or would I be better off just buying a new hardtail bike?

Thanks in advance for any help,

LF

AZ
    banned
    IMHO , you would be better off with a brand new hardtail . You wont have to worry about the condition and it comes with a warranty .

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Target does have the Forge on sale for $341.99 + $30 ship. If you have AAA you can get 10% to make it $337 shipped, which is as cheap as you're going to find a new entry-level hardtail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I pulled the trigger on that Forge yesterday. It's on the way.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_monarch
    I pulled the trigger on that Forge yesterday. It's on the way.
    Awesome, what size/color did you order?

I'm 5'9"-5"10 and I'm not sure if I should go for the 17" or the 19". I think I'll stop by a local store and hop on some bikes (w/similar geometry) and measure their top tube length to see what feels best.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'm 5'10" - 190# and went with the 19". 17's don't feel right to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yeah, I went to a local Target and brought my protractor and tape measure to find similar geometry/sized bikes. I would have felt like a monkey on the 17"...so I just ordered the 19" Charcoal 5xx. Finally, a bike lol.

I've been browsing CL since April and there was only a single bike that I should have bought at $500 firm- a 2009 Gary Fisher Tassajara in near mint condition. But it was a 130+ mile round trip, I would have had to buy a shock pump and jam it in my Accord. And come to think of it, it was a 17.5" so it might have been cramped. Oh Well.

Members who have read this thread: 0