1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Good build kit?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Good build kit?

Does anyone have any recommendations for good build kits for a hardtail? I need everything but a headset (including a fork and wheels). I've done a staggering amount of google searches, but I haven't found anything yet that I'm ready to pull the trigger on - seems like kits aren't actually that common, or at least kits with more than just drivetrain stuff. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Have you tried you local bike shop? They can help you build it or get you everything you need so you can build it.

T.W.O.
    What frame, and budget, disc or v

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885
    What frame, and budget, disc or v
    Wojcik hardtail, disc only. I'm sort of figuring out the budget thing as I go along, but if possible I'd like to keep it to around $1000 if not less. I'm not sure if this is realistic, but I'm going to try.

T.W.O.
    Nice frame. I scored mine from Colorado Cyc, when they had good sales on groupo and got discount on fork and wheel as well. I you want every thing at the same time you just have to keep looking for good sales. price-point and cbo offer drivetrain combo.

I'm not a big fan of built kit because it's not flexible enough. I like certain headset, brakes, pedal. Drive train group is ok for me. Wheelworld also offer built kit too. What have you consider so far

mtbr member
    If you have a frame already and the $1000 is in addition to the cost of the frame and headset you should be able to put together a pretty good custom kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    anything to watch out for with this one? http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/153...-Build-Kit.htm

I have fun when I ride my 20 year old cannondale mtb, so I'm imagining I won't really be able to know what I'm missing if I go with slightly lower end stuff, which I would like to last awhile.

AZ
    banned
    Buy a complete bike from bikes direct , just pick one that has the components you want . If they ship it as advertised you will have eveything you need and a frame to sell/trade/give away .

Fat-tired Roadie
    That build kit looks pretty good, although it's cooking your budget before you get to the fork and wheels.

If you do buy another bike to strip, bear in mind that a lot of bikes use a parts blend with pretty poor components in places where they think you won't notice, like front derailleurs, sometimes the crankset, etc., and the steer tube on the fork will already be cut.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    How about this one? It seems to have everything I need of at least so-so quality.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Kit+Wtora.aspx

Fat-tired Roadie
    Nice.

Be prepared to have to pick up a few items at your LBS as you do the build. But it certainly looks like the only other thing you need is a bike to put it on.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    If you are prepared to drop $1k you can get it done with a better fork and possibly wheels.
    Best thing to do is find the wheels and fork you want, then try to find everything else with what you have left over.
    Abaxo on ebay will have most of the controls that you'll need on the cheap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/bik/1670370564.html

Is any of this stuff a good deal? I've never bought used mtb stuff before. The fork seems to me like it might be if it really is mint.