1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Sep 2013

is this a good budget buy ?

hello to all. im new to this site, but have been on and off here, Anyways im in the market for a fs mtb under the 400-500 range, i understand you ont get anything good in that price range unless its used, so i have been looking on the local CL and found a few bikes, there are trek 4500 around here for around that price range, and i also found 96 gt lts 1, the the reviews of the gt seem pretty good being that old. this is the bike
    is this a good budget buy ?-gt-lts.jpg Name:  gt lts1.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  1.2 KBand this is the info he wrote.. GT LTS mountain bike with many upgrades including front hydraulic and rear mechanical disc brakes. Rockshox Judy DHO fork and Deluxe rear shock. Upgraded bars, stem,rims, chainrings etc...pretty much everything. This bike has not been ridden for several years, but is in great condition. Over $3000 invested. dose this seem like a good buy for $400? thanks for any info.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The first thing is does it fit?The second thing is do you know what to look for on a used bike? There are a couple of things that don't look right on the bike ,the fork doesn't really go with the frame ,hard to tell but it looks like the rear brake uses a adapter to mount the caliper.Thats a big rotor for a cross country bike.Also a kickstand and power straps?

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    yeah the bike is for sure not stock. and im mainly looking for quality components, almost everything on it is deore xt. and yes a 18" would fit good.
    Im pretty sure the 96 model didnt come with a rear DISC so im guessing its after market.
    the trails here are mostly flat with min up hill. Is the over sized rotor a bad thing ? to me it would mean more surfce area, so cooler pads.

mtbr member
    not a good buy. maybe $100... not $400. i probably wouldn't pay $400 for any mountain bike that old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Really? even with the upgraded parts? looks like just the frame and rear shock is stock (1996)

mtbr member
    Not worth the trouble, to give you an example last year I sold a complete 2004 NRS1 for $400 with air fork, hydro disc brakes and Shimano drivetrain so keep looking that a better deal will eventually show up.

mtbr member

Re: is this a good budget buy ?

Quote Originally Posted by lordryan View Post
    Really? even with the upgraded parts? looks like just the frame and rear shock is stock (1996)
    If all that's wooing you is the xt drivetrain, you can buy those parts on clearance for less than $400. For what a frame and fork would cost, you could have just bought another bike.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    no its not just the drivetrain, but from the reviews it seems the bike was top notch back in its days being retailed at over $2500. i understand that was lightyears away. but if eveyone thinks i can spend 3-400 on a better bike and better quality components, then i will look elsewhere. got him down to $300 but i take it thats not even a deal.. thanks for the inputs.

Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    If all that's wooing you is the xt drivetrain, you can buy those parts on clearance for less than $400. For what a frame and fork would cost, you could have just bought another bike.

--
    Stephen

T.W.O.
    Forget about that GT, you would not like the ride. The seller could have honestly spent 10,000 on that bike but it's worth less than $200 in terms of ride. I'd give another $50 for collectable value but that's it.

Parts wear out over time. I wore out a 2003 XTR rear derailleur last year and I'm surprised it didn't go sooner. I would not be that wooed by the drivetrain bits. It may have been a good fully for its time, but that was the mid-90's. What was good then is most likely going to be nothing special now. marginally better than department store full suspension, but compared to the better designs available now, not worth it.

That bike would probably be worth more to the seller parted out, because there are people looking for vintage parts for time period-accurate restorations.

Those enormous disc rotors are probably way over-spec for that bike (especially from that era) and may have weakened the fork and frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by lordryan View Post
    hello to all. im new to this site, but have been on and off here, Anyways im in the market for a fs mtb under the 400-500 range, i understand you ont get anything good in that price range unless its used, so i have been looking on the local CL and found a few bikes, there are trek 4500 around here for around that price range, and i also found 96 gt lts 1, the the reviews of the gt seem pretty good being that old.
    Kind of expensive for a bike that old...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    This would have been a better buy even with rim brakes.
    Specialized s Works M4 FSR XC Dual Suspension Mountain Bike Size L 2000 | eBay
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    While I have no experience with any FS bike recommendations, I did a search for you in your general area, and found several bikes that would fit your needs in your price range.
    Bikes from Giant, Jamis and others are within driving distance if it makes sense to you.

Otherwise like everyone else is saying, the GT would not be a good deal and you should pass. However with how widespread your area is, maybe purchasing something new would be a better deal...

Going with something out of Bikesdirect.com