1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

New question here. A good BIKE or good SERVICE?

There are 2 bike store nearby my place, basically same distance to my place.
    One bike shop offers me my favourite bike with low price, but many say that they offer awful service.
    Another bike shop offers me bike(not my favourite)with no discount but they earned a great reputation for decent service.
    so...which store I should choose?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you learn to service it your self then you can't lose. Go to Sheldon Brown , the Park Tools or Youtube you find a lot of info on how to work on your bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: A good BIKE or good SERVICE?

Buy the bike thats better and service it at the place that has better service. After your initial free tuneups of course

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Personally, I'm always willing to pay a little more from a shop that offers better service, but I think you should get the bike you want first and foremost. I take it the shop with better service can't order your #1 choice bike? And of course, by service, I'm not limiting that term to just physically working on the bike, and I'm guessing you're defining it the same. There are a couple shops around here I gravitate towards, because

#1 - I trust them not to actually help me get what I want as opposed to what makes them the most money.

#2 - If something I buy from them is defective, I'm confident I won't have issues with them making it right.

#3 - I know anyone I talk to in the shop actually knows what he/she is talking about, and has learned it out on the mountain as opposed to a 60 minute employee orientation video.

But in the end, getting the bike you really want should probably be your #1 concern, so in your place, I'd still go with the better bike over better service. I bought my first new car from an absolute slimeball salesman, but they were the only dealership with the exact car I was looking for.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    Buy the bike thats better and service it at the place that has better service. After your initial free tuneups of course
    ^^^This.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IslandCrow View Post
    Personally, I'm always willing to pay a little more from a shop that offers better service, but I think you should get the bike you want first and foremost. I take it the shop with better service can't order your #1 choice bike? And of course, by service, I'm not limiting that term to just physically working on the bike, and I'm guessing you're defining it the same. There are a couple shops around here I gravitate towards, because

#1 - I trust them not to actually help me get what I want as opposed to what makes them the most money.

#2 - If something I buy from them is defective, I'm confident I won't have issues with them making it right.

#3 - I know anyone I talk to in the shop actually knows what he/she is talking about, and has learned it out on the mountain as opposed to a 60 minute employee orientation video.

But in the end, getting the bike you really want should probably be your #1 concern, so in your place, I'd still go with the better bike over better service. I bought my first new car from an absolute slimeball salesman, but they were the only dealership with the exact car I was looking for.
    Your opinion is really helpful, thanks.
    Actually, both store offer me acceptable bikes, but the store with bad service gives me discount(80% of the original price but it is a 2012 version)
    And the other store gives me no discount for all curren version bikes.

Rogue Exterminator
    This

If the bike you wanted was at both shops and it was matter of spending a few dollars more at the shop with great service, I would spend the few extra dollars. That being said, buy the bike you like the most or you will never be happy.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    An 80% discount is tough to ignore. I've never seen any of my LBS' take off that much for a leftover dammit, maybe 20 to 30 at the most. Hell, one of them still has one on the floor from like 3 years ago, I thought about it pretty hard once but the new frames had some substantial upgrades for the same price or less that made me pass it up. Every time I see it now it's got a different "custom" build and the price never drops lol.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by masterofnone View Post
    An 80% discount is tough to ignore. I've never seen any of my LBS' take off that much for a leftover dammit, maybe 20 to 30 at the most. Hell, one of them still has one on the floor from like 3 years ago, I thought about it pretty hard once but the new frames had some substantial upgrades for the same price or less that made me pass it up. Every time I see it now it's got a different "custom" build and the price never drops lol.
    What I mean is 80% of the original price (20% off)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drightjustin View Post
    One bike shop offers me my favourite bike with low price, but many say that they offer awful service.
    Another bike shop offers me bike(not my favourite)with no discount but they earned a great reputation for decent service.
    Buy the better bike and service it at the better shop. Or buy the better bike and service it yourself. My mtn bike has never seen in the inside of a bike shop once it was built and the only time before that was when I had the headset pressed in the bare frame. I have done the rest myself.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Cool-blue Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    Buy the better bike and service it at the better shop. Or buy the better bike and service it yourself. My mtn bike has never seen in the inside of a bike shop once it was built and the only time before that was when I had the headset pressed in the bare frame. I have done the rest myself.
    Most the time I can do the service myself, but i can't do tricky stuffs like oil changing for shock.

mtbr member
    Most the time I can do the service myself, but i can't do tricky stuffs like oil changing for shock.
    Like others said, buy the bike that you want and get service where the service is best. There is nothing that says you have to get the bike serviced where you bought it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If price is the only hold-up go to the shop you like better and make them an offer. Start with 20% off the MSRP, and they will probably come down at least 10%. Do it with some tact. " I have heard good things about your shop and would like to be a customer. I think I would be very happy with this bike if I could get it for $XXX (or $XXXX) because it brings the price inline with bikes I have looked at that are on sale. Do you think we could make a deal today? If they say no then I would have no problem buying the bike at the other store. I would at least give them the chance to earn your business.

Of course this is all pointless if you have your heart set on the other model. If that's the one your really want get it. If they desired shop has a bike you like don't let 20% off be a dealbreaker. You can find a price that works for both parties.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Some 12s are better spec'ed than 2013 models and a discount is added gravy. 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite and Trek X-Cal both have dual air Rebas unavailable for 2013.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Some 12s are better spec'ed than 2013 models and a discount is added gravy. 2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite and Trek X-Cal both have dual air Rebas unavailable for 2013.
    What I plan to buy is 12stumpy evo carbon, the new 2013version came with talas 34 while the old one is rlc32.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!
    Is the bike you want the right bike for you? If so, then go there. You get what you want and can have it serviced anywhere. Plus, the shop without the bike you want has a reputation for "decent" service...nothing that would make me compromise.
    Although, a shop with great service will put you on the right bike for you, even if it's not the one you want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    Is the bike you want the right bike for you? If so, then go there. You get what you want and can have it serviced anywhere. Plus, the shop without the bike you want has a reputation for "decent" service...nothing that would make me compromise.
    Although, a shop with great service will put you on the right bike for you, even if it's not the one you want.
    Today I just checked both bike stores, and the technician in the good service store really impresses me with his profound knowledge and friendly comversation, while stuff in the other store are rather aloof and annoyed (I am buying a 5000usd bike, I don't think I should be treated this way)
    However, the store with good service only give me3%-5% discount..
    Both store actually provide me with good bikes, though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Get your favorite bike and either learn to service it your self or go to the store with good reputation to service it for you...

mtbr member
    plus 1