1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Good or Bad Deal?

Hi Folks,

I visited my local shop tonight with the intention of buying a new bike. They had a left over 2009 Trek 4300 Disc on sale for $529 that I thought would be a good deal. Unfortunately they sold it yesterday.

Instead they showed me a new leftover 2008 Trek 4500. It's going for $499. I was told that despite not having disc brakes all the other components were far superior and it is a better bike.

I'm pretty new to all of this and was hoping to get some advice. Is it a good deal for the money or should I look for something else? I just don't know if they're steering me in the right direction or not, and why has the bike been sitting in their shop for two years? My price range is around $550.

Specs on the 2008 Trek 4500 are here: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/2008/archive/4500#

The 2009 4300 Disc specs are here: http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...chive/4300disc

Thanks for any advice!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yea the 4500 is spec'd better than the 4300 disc, and tbh if you are buying a cheaper mountain bike, the v-brakes will be just as good as those cheap discs. Its when you get into the more expensive discs that the power increases exponentially.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Just remember disc brakes will still work 100% in the rain and mud while the V-brakes will be...not effective. And to upgrade to discs will require different hubs/wheels.

At $550, I would look for a fairly new, used hardtail on craiglist. If you live in a bigger city, it should be easy to fond something good. Something with a Tora (or better) fork, Deore or Sram x7 front/rear derailleurs and Avid BB5/7 mechanical discs (or hydraulic).

mtbr rememberer
    the dart 3 on the 4500 is supposed to be a better fork, and I think it's disc compatible. Not sure about the frame, but it might take discs. Take a look.

I think the 4500 has a better crankset and rear der., but they both share the same cassette.

the 4300 might be the way to go, and you can save the extra $50 toward a disc brake upgrade, or other stuff.