1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Good all around bike?

I'm an old BMX rider looking for a versatile MT bike. Our trails here are pretty rocky, 1 or 2 piss poor downhill rides in the area, one freeride park.

Any recommendations? Not looking to break the bank and don't mind used.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Good all around bike?

Budget? And what area you from? There might be more out there than you think.

fly on the wall
    Nov 2010
    The more constraints and requirements you can give us, the better an answer we can give you. So far this is like walking into the Detroit Auto Show and asking what car they recommend, just that it has to have a trunk and not break the bank. Millions of answers.
    ~Always avoid alliteration.

Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/NearlyFr...ew=0&flow=grid

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'd recommend the Ibis Mojo HD with XX build kit.

mtbr member
    New SC Solo is only $7k

mtbr member
    seriously... just need more info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    For a HT used or last years stock Scott Scale Elite or Trek X-Cal because of good geo and the dual air Reba not offered for 13. $1-1.3k.
    New-- BD Gravity Point6 for $1.2k with XT/XTR drive parts and a 2012 dual air Reba.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point5 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    120-160mm travel full suspension (all mtn) is a great do it all bike.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Max budget would be 800. I'll be lucky if I can ride more than once a month.

Not sure what other info y'all want. Just looking for versatile and well built.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thoughts?
    Santa Cruz Heckler

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jyn View Post
    Max budget would be 800. I'll be lucky if I can ride more than once a month.

Not sure what other info y'all want. Just looking for versatile and well built.
    At $800 and riding once a month if you're looking new, some major brand hard tail. An $800 FS bike is not a good idea. Used? Buying used for a novice can be problematic. Find some mtn biker you trust to help you find a good used FS bike.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    At $800 and riding once a month if you're looking new, some major brand hard tail. An $800 FS bike is not a good idea. Used? Buying used for a novice can be problematic. Find some mtn biker you trust to help you find a good used FS bike.
    I don't know any bikers that know more than me.

Any thoughts on this one?
    Aggressive Full Suspension Trailbike

I like pie.
    That's a very old bike. Circa 2001 crank. Questionable fork (note the torn boot on one side) and what size is it? No mention. Fit is so important. @ $850 the seller is dreaming.

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    That's a very old bike. Circa 2001 crank. Questionable fork (note the torn boot on one side) and what size is it? No mention. Fit is so important. @ $850 the seller is dreaming.
    Thanks -- I crossed it off the list. Check out the other link.

I like pie.
    I don't know any bikers that know more than me.

Any thoughts on this one?
    Aggressive Full Suspension Trailbike
    Better. Not exactly something that is fun to pedal uphill, but at least the price is fair. But fit...Ok what is your inseam? Height? And is your torso average?

If the bike doesn't fit you will not be happy.

IMO one's first bike should be from an LBS-where you get fitted, unless you have a skilled buddy who will keep you from making a bad choice. Fit is sooo important. Would you wear a size 44 suit if your body frame is a size 42?

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I'm 6'1, 32" inseam. I've been fitted before for a mt bike and think I was in the 18" range.

Price on that one is neg.

I like pie.
    I'm 6'1, 32" inseam. I've been fitted before for a mt bike and think I was in the 18" range.

Price on that one is neg.
    Well, I'll leave you with a few thoughts. The 18" range sounds right. 19" is fine.

Not knowing anyone who can help would make me think that this one-first time is best done with the service of a good local shop. Even if it means spending top dollar for a decent bike. Having a bike that is right for you is so important. Much more than getting a high end used one that is not right. Hardtails are fun and one that is right for you is way better than some wrong FS bike. Now if you could raise your budget to say...$1500 then you would be looking at decent entry level FS bike.

With that said, I bid you a good night and wish you luck on your first purchase of a mtn bike!

Jyn
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Good all around bike?

Raising budget. Can't find anything on the used market around here. Suggestions in that <1500 range?