1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BMX:Our Shining Future

Going Postal For Noobs

I'm sure there has been a hundred of these already. What the heck. I am not an official of MTBR a moderator or owner. I am just a member and a poster. MTBR is a small family buisness. It is one of the finest web sites on the internet. Their moderators are all volunteers. One way of saying "thanks" to MTBR is to click on bicycle ads. Do research on bikes here by clicking on manufacturer's websites through this site. This helps MTBR.

When you post you enter a new type of social community. There are new pitfalls of social behavior here and new rewards. When you post it invigorates the energy of the online social community. If you don't it sort of stagnates. So post! Say something dammit!!

The more and longer that you are polite and reasonable here the more allies you will have. Allies are good. They are assets. Enemies are bad. Enemies are liabilities. Also if you are funny. Tell a few jokes. It cheers the place up. WELCOME BMX URBAN DOODS!!!

Being naughty. It's fun to be bad. Especially after safety breaks and a trip to the bar. Sometimes it is good for the MTBR community to be a little bad especially if you are funny at the same time. But sometimes bad is just bad and then in the morning there you are trying to delete the damn thing and failing. Having earned a few enemies. Who are now liabilities.

I hope other people post their advice to Noobs about posting. It's a good thing to do be a member around here and we want you to join in!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Postal For Noobs-md5.jpg  

Silence Is Golden

say nothing. do nothing. sit on the couch and watch television. put on your helmets. and your seat belts. there could be an earthquake. or an asteroid.

take no chances. keep both wheels on the ground at all times. safety breaks. make sure both brakes are in correct oporational order at all times. break for safety. pop no wheelies. hop no bunnies. put on your helmet.

thank you for doing nothing. too many things have already been done. forests have been clear cut. mountains have been strip mined. oceans have been dredge netted. rivers have been toxified. lakes were drained.

the less you do the better. do nothing. every time somebody does something it turns out to have been destructive. the atom bomb. genetic engineering. philosophy. shut your mouth. say nothing. be invisible.

your only hope is camoflaugh. for if you are visible you will be murdered. if you are invisible perhaps you will survive. perhaps your ancestory will prevail if you are silent. but not if you speak. if you speak your ancestory will perish.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Postal For Noobs-md4.jpg  

re member
    Welcome back, Major Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Avatar
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Thanks a lot it's been a long hard trip home

Chit Chat. Back and forth. Conversations. Idle banter. Idle boasting. Idle posting. Posting while stuck at work and can't ride. Completely devoted to bike riding yet somehow stuck somewhere in an office. Looking for a little action. Hoping for some witty repartee.

Flaming. Getting angry and posting angry things. Opinions about the war. Politics. Medicine. Pretty girls. Pretty girls on bikes. This site is so popular that motorcycle riders and roadies want in on the action. They kind of try to sneak in here. Wanting to be part of the crowd.

In this the most psychologically conformist time in history and the most socially conformist culture on the planet people are hoping to "fit in" when in fact all people are individuals and can only pretend to be the same as others for a limited amount of time before the act breaks down and the individual is revealed. The internet and conformity. It's sort of like social behavior squared.

The internet and non conformity. Exhausted from negotiating the most conformist culture on earth posters assert their independence. Their freedom to excess. This is an outlet for the soul! The lonliest culture ever. Lonely people trying to interact with others. Desperate for community. Desperate for just a little chit chat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Postal For Noobs-best13.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm a noob!

I find your post a little confusing. I'm pretty sure that is what you were trying for though.
    Quote Originally Posted by joehspicer@msn.com
    Your no longer a virgin... and your ass hurts?
    I think you're doing something wrong there

re member

it's been a long hard trip home

Where have you been?

It's all right, we know where you've been.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

Are we there yet?
    That diner booth looks awfully lonely there.

By the way, which MTBR sub forum has the most chicks? I just got here and would like to make sure I don't end up with those bmx urban doods. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Where HAVE I been?

It's as though net wurker knows where I have been and I don't! It's confusing. I'm not trying to be confusing. I'm just confused. Confusion is rampant. Do we have the constitutional right to privacy? Do we have a constitutional right against unreasonable search and seizure? Apparantly not. They just SAY that we do. Then we don't.

Should the punishment fit the crime? Then why do we have one and a half million prisoners in the us for whom there was never a victim? The State Of Montana says I have a constitutional right to a parent child relationship. So why is it that I haven't been able to get visitation now for fourteen years?

If we all know that we are burning the planet alive why don't we stop? I am just SO confused. It's making my posts kind of weird. The confusion is coming out in my prose. Twisted it. Kind of made a mess of things. But that doesn't compare to the disappointment. The shock. The terror of knowing that I live in the Century Of Death. Where hundreds of thousands of species will go extinct. And billions of people. (the chicks are all at model mayhem)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Postal For Noobs-best20.jpg  

re member
    What did you dream?

It's all right, we told you what to dream.
    WOOF!
    My videos on Vimeo

MTB skillz = NADA
    Wow...somebody opened a whole case of psycho babble nonsense on this thread!

usually cranky
    i want to be on what your on.

FKA Malibu412

Step away...

... from the _________________ (insert chemical/paraphernalia of choice here)
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Sounds emo look at me definitely.

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    I understand what you say man.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    3 Nuns walk into a bar..... You'd think the third one would have ducked.

mtbr member
    Just drink the kool aid....you should be feeling much better now.

addicted to chunk
    Quote Originally Posted by davidarnott
    say nothing. do nothing. sit on the couch and watch television. put on your helmets. and your seat belts. there could be an earthquake. or an asteroid.

take no chances. keep both wheels on the ground at all times. safety breaks. make sure both brakes are in correct oporational order at all times. break for safety. pop no wheelies. hop no bunnies. put on your helmet.

thank you for doing nothing. too many things have already been done. forests have been clear cut. mountains have been strip mined. oceans have been dredge netted. rivers have been toxified. lakes were drained.

the less you do the better. do nothing. every time somebody does something it turns out to have been destructive. the atom bomb. genetic engineering. philosophy. shut your mouth. say nothing. be invisible.

your only hope is camoflaugh. for if you are visible you will be murdered. if you are invisible perhaps you will survive. perhaps your ancestory will prevail if you are silent. but not if you speak. if you speak your ancestory will perish.
    You forgot the part about wearing the tin foil hat.

Riding.....

...idios...
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412
    Step away ... from the _________________ (insert chemical/paraphernalia of choice here)
    The word you're hunting for is "reality". Once you've seen it, it can't be stepped away from, escaped or ignored. It tends to leave its mark.

Big love, David; don't forget the things that make you smile...

What luck for rulers, that men do not think - Adolf Hitler

mtbr member

I like your thread...

I was reminded of this Nine Inch Nails song:

Slave screams - he thinks he knows what he wants
    Slave screams - thinks he has something to say
    Slave screams - he hears but doesn't want to listen
    Slave screams - he's being beat into submission

Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
    The devils of truth steal the souls of the free
    Don't open your eyes take it from me
    I have found
    You can find
    Happiness in slavery

Slave screams - he spends his life learning conformity
    Slave screams - he claims he has his own identity
    Slave screams - he's going to cause the system to fall
    Slave screams - but he's glad to be chained to that wall

Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see
    The blind have been blessed with security
    Don't open your eyes take it from me
    I have found
    You can find
    Happiness in slavery

I don't know what I am I don't know where I've been
    Human junk just words and so much skin
    Stick my hands through the cage of this endless routine
    Just some flesh caught in this big broken machine

Probably drunk right now

Is anybody in there?

Just nod if you can hear me.

Yes I'm In Here

Visiting on the internet. Making friends from the other side of the world. A bit of sparring. A few naughty jokes. Sometimes missing a week or two having been out riding the wilderness. But with a few fresh photos of the ride.

Making appointments to ride with new friends. Meeting other MTBR members in their home town. And riding their trails. Advice about breaks. And rough riding techniques. Just posting a friendly hello. Or perhaps a "nice thread". Being nice on the internet. Win allies.

I've been moderated. I've been banned for a week. I've been deleted. Thank the lord god almighty that liveth and reigneth in heavan above that our moderators have the good common sense to protect us from our worst posts! We appreciate it!! We really don't want those bad posts hanging around creating liabilities for us at all!!!

By the powers vested in me by the great state of montana I hereby declare the community of MTBR ODD (Oppositional and Defiant Disorder) We are ODD. You are all ODD. I am ODD. End of story.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Going Postal For Noobs-best54.jpg  

MTB skillz = NADA
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken in KC
    Just nod if you can hear me.
    There is NO ONE at home.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good stuff. I've been away from the forums (and the bike, sadly) for a while now, and look what I've been missing.

Thanks, davidarnott.

It all makes sense again.

Yesssss, sleeeeeep...

Nice "trail pix".

mtbr member
    I like the pic of the desert. There are no people there....perfect. I'm thinking about buying some pink spandex. Will it look weird with my beer gut? I really like beer. And wine. For that matter, I'm an eclectic alcoholic, I'll drink anything...except when I want to be sober. Sober is bad. Its for people that like reality. Reality is scary. People are scary. I want another beer.
    So other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

you do this at my size
    New people are afraid of this...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    if you don't feel like riding, that's usually when you need it most

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast