1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Going mental...please help

Ok, so i've been searching CL for a nice used 29er with no luck. Decide to look at the cheaper entry level bikes but after enough research into them, I realize that I would be buying CRAP. As of tonite, after investing the whole week ianto researching 29ers, I realize that even the $1000 bikes are still not 100% solid bikes!!! Wtf!!. Do I have to buy a $4k bike to get 100% solid components? Seems like its a big corporate game to get u to spend the max u can to get a "100%" bike.

My question is, can u get a 100% solid-component bike in the $1k area? I'm burned out on arriving on the "perfect" bike then to read that the deraileurs or spokes are CRAP! Please help! :P

Kurt

No good in rock gardens..
    Nothing is "100% solid" and I'm not even sure what the term means. All bikes will give trouble at some point - like most mechanical devices.

Don't believe everything you read about this or that being "crap".

Opinions are like buttholes - everyone has one. Some people will say anything under XTR or XO level is "crap", that any fork under SID level is "crap" that any tyres cheaper than Schwalbe are "crap". This is a sport rife with gear snobbery.

1k will get you a quite serviceable and trail worthy 29er hardtail. 1k on a dually is not so good and there are more compromises in certain areas.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Airborne Goblin is a good place to start.
    Top Ten 29"er Products of 2011: Airborne Goblin 29
    The new model addresses tire clearance and goes to a 100mm fork. This is a stable geo frame.
    A lighter at least front wheel and set of tires as the reviewer tried can be an upgrade. RaRa performance tires are good for dry conditions and cheap. Run them at 25lbs. Brakes could go to SLX if you need better.
    A Scott Scale Elite, if you can find one is going discounted for 1300. It has better geo and the same fork. The new model 950 is shipping at 1850.

Once you are riding either of these it will be a while before you need anything better. You don't need a 458 Italia for a daily driver. Besides, you haven't waisted any money yet. Most have already blown 500-1000.

That's not all. You have to go through the upgrade stage. Those bikes don't need much, but you'll find components that give you a better fit are lighter and make incremental improvements in performance. Like carbon bar and 80mm 100g $30 Uno stem I found from Taiwan on ebay. And the maintenance stage. Riding singletrack fast and hard isn't cruising bike paths. It beats on everything and proper care is the way to be safe and on the trail. You will need to learn and get some tools. Then you're at the stage where what you are riding is in many ways better than 3k bikes. Your next buy, if at all, will be a frame.
    Last edited by eb1888; 08-06-2012 at 05:33 AM.

JRA
    No bike is 100% perfect with the exception of maybe the $10,000 S-works Epic.. A $1000 bike will suit most people quite fine and it will much better components than a $500 entry level bike. If a particular component on a $1000 bike does not perform as you would like, you could always upgrade that component after time. A XT derailuer or an SLX crankset can be had for under $100.
    --If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

SS Rider
    If you are not looking for a full suspension you should be able to find a fairly nice bike for 1K. You will get a decent bang for you buck with a Giant from what I saw when I was looking last month.
    I would say if you are looking for a full suspension bike then 1K is on the very low end unless you pick up something used.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you gentlemen very much. When I use "100%" I am saying a bike has all components that are excellent in quality. Thank u again!

Thanks for the suggestions...Is there a brand loyalty here for Airborne? Is this an underdog company?

Regards,

Kurt

mtbr member
    I've never seen, touched, or ridden a airborne. However, they receive great reviews and their components are several steps above big companies for the same price.

Normally a $1200 trek or specialized will have a $40 crankset and $200 fork. The goblin has a $400 fork and $200 crankset. Better shifters/derailluers also.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    I've never seen, touched, or ridden a airborne. However, they receive great reviews and their components are several steps above big companies for the same price.

Normally a $1200 trek or specialized will have a $40 crankset and $200 fork. The goblin has a $400 fork and $200 crankset. Better shifters/derailluers also.
    Thank u much, SickMak. Is the Guardian a respectable bike too?

mtbr member
    In that price range it is very respectable. Much better than most bikes in that price range.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sickmak90 View Post
    In that price range it is very respectable. Much better than most bikes in that price range.
    Thanks man!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Airborne Goblin is a good place to start.
    [url=http://twentynineinches.com/2011/12/22/top-ten-29er-products-of-2011-airborne-goblin-29/]
    A Scott Scale Elite, if you can find one is going discounted for 1300. It has better geo and the same fork.
    I rode one of these for about a month when I took up mountain biking earlier this year. It was surprisingly light, fast and handled roots and rocks very well. I only switched away from it because I realized quickly that I wanted something that could take more punishment. I paid ~$1400 for it and felt like I got was getting a great deal. At $1300 it's a steal.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Airborne is offering a product that works on singletrack at a price several hundred below what you can find at your LBS. They work for people who don't have any components or wheelsets from past mistakes with junky bikes. Really a cheaper way to go. If or when, maybe next year, Canyon starts selling in the US I'd also recommend their 29 AL bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    everything is going to have its drawbacks, which components the manufacturer uses to make the bike more affordable will determine which bike you get, which depends on what you're going to do with it. if it doesn't have the best spokes, i wouldn't do any dirt jumping on it, but if it has above average wheels, but crappy derailleurs, it may be more suited for that instead uphill climbes through your neighborhood spot. it really depends though.. i wouldn't get bummed out about prices, because you really do get what you pay for. definitely check out airborne and bikes direct, because you're more likely to at least save a few hundred, if not more, and less likely to get components that will limit your use for the $$. and thats really what it comes down to. i did the polar opposite and came out ahead.. when i got tired of riding my 90s trek, i bought a donor bike with the components that i wanted, and sold the frame because it didn't fit, and replaces the frame with a new one. i lucked out and actually came out ahead. that's a route you can try for if you're seeing bikes that don't fit you but have the components you want. its really up to you how to go about it, but either way its probably not going to be cheap, but then again, it never has been.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Nothing is "100% solid" and I'm not even sure what the term means. All bikes will give trouble at some point - like most mechanical devices.

Don't believe everything you read about this or that being "crap".

Opinions are like buttholes - everyone has one. Some people will say anything under XTR or XO level is "crap", that any fork under SID level is "crap" that any tyres cheaper than Schwalbe are "crap". This is a sport rife with gear snobbery.

1k will get you a quite serviceable and trail worthy 29er hardtail. 1k on a dually is not so good and there are more compromises in certain areas.

Lol That's a good one.

Mtb ain't cheap. Fortunately, you can now get one at a reasonable price and upgrade as needed. "Perfect" is also subjective. Perfect for what? for the price, perfect race machine, durability, Bling?

The only way for you to know for sure is to buy or demo a 10k bike and compare the performance and price with the 1k bike, because regardless of what you read, you'd always have that curiosity or worse sour grape syndrome.

If you want parts that's "solid" as in durable and good balance between weight and performance then Shimano SLX and XT would fit the bill and they are not very expensive upgrades. The big 3 ticket items are frame, fork, and wheelset, the rest are not too bad just have to be patience and look for good deals.

Most people do not need any more than SLX and XT but fortunately some do and that helps pushing the companies to make better, lighter, and/or more durable products that would soon trickle down the line and everyone wins. I'm just as happy on my SLX groupo as I am on my XTR, XO, and XX equipped rig.

No good in rock gardens..
    That Goblin has a great spec for the coin. I'm assuming the 80mm Reba could be switched to 100mm as IMO 80mm went out years ago apart from commuter bikes....
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hey, thanks guys very much. I appreciate the inputs. I never thought I would get so confused about buying a bike!!

Airborne Product Dude
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    That Goblin has a great spec for the coin. I'm assuming the 80mm Reba could be switched to 100mm as IMO 80mm went out years ago apart from commuter bikes....
    At the time when the Goblin was originally being developed (1.5 years ago) there were a lot of sub-$2K 29ers sporting 80mm forks.
    Airborne Dude.

mtbr member
    My buddies 2012 specialized carve comp only has an 80mm low end rock shox on it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Component level is a relative thing.

For someone just starting out Shimano Alivio/SRAM 0.5 level components are good enough to handle most single track and XC at the beginner through early intermediate levels.

Beyond that, you are looking at basically the Deore/0.7 components which are solid enough to handle most anything else.

The reason to go beyond that component level is less because of "durability" and more because of the weight of components and minor degrees of upgrades in the overall performance of the components. Actually, in some cases higher end components may actually be more fragile overall than their lower end counterparts.

All that being said, you can take a bike loaded with Altus/Acera/ 0.3/0.4 components out on the lower difficulty trails and still have a fun ride it's just that you will probably end up having to adjust the items more often than something up at the Deore/0.7 levels.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    My question is, can u get a 100% solid-component bike in the $1k area? I'm burned out on arriving on the "perfect" bike then to read that the deraileurs or spokes are CRAP! Please help! :P
    this is the wrong conception. The lightest $10k bikes are relatively fragile. You actually start losing some durability as you go up in price.

If you are buying new, the best bike/$ is from bikesdirect or airborne.
    Last edited by bob13bob; 08-07-2012 at 03:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post

If you are buying new, the best bike/$ is from bikesdirect or airborne goblin.
    OR a previous year's closeout from an on-line store or LBS.

Don't just limit yourself to two on-line dealers. There are quite a few bargains to have out there if you are willing to shop around both locally and to spend a few hours searching the web.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0

Master Shredder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango7 View Post
    Ok, so i've been searching CL for a nice used 29er with no luck. Decide to look at the cheaper entry level bikes but after enough research into them, I realize that I would be buying CRAP. As of tonite, after investing the whole week ianto researching 29ers, I realize that even the $1000 bikes are still not 100% solid bikes!!! Wtf!!. Do I have to buy a $4k bike to get 100% solid components? Seems like its a big corporate game to get u to spend the max u can to get a "100%" bike.

Kurt
    Some people are just bike snobs. I am destroying every trail in my area and having the time of my life on a sub $500 bike.
    "Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads." -Back to the Future

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Luclin999 View Post
    OR a previous year's closeout from an on-line store or LBS.

Don't just limit yourself to two on-line dealers. There are quite a few bargains to have out there if you are willing to shop around both locally and to spend a few hours searching the web.
    What other sites should be checked? I just remembered, Sette on pricepoint is another that should be checked. any others?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bob13bob View Post
    What other sites should be checked? I just remembered, Sette on pricepoint is another that should be checked. any others?

Bluesky has been offering a 2011 Karakoram 29er for $520 for a while now..

BlueSkyCycling.com - GT Karakoram 2.0 Disc 29er Bike

Nashbar has this Breezer 29er for $750 which stacks up very well versus similarly priced bikes from BD. (Deore, SLX and Alivio components with a Tora fork)

Breezer Jetstream Sport 29" Mountain Bike - Twenty Niner

And the Breezer Comp model for $1100:

Breezer Jetstream Comp 29" Mountain Bike - Twenty Niner

And of course I have no idea just what might be on sale/closeout at the local shops close to the OP.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast