1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Going downhill, full suspension technique?

I'm riding a Specialized Epic and this is my first full suspension bike. If I'm cruising downhill on a bumpy section that I don't need to pedal, is the technique to be off the saddle like if I was riding a hard-tail absorbing the hits thru the pedals or do I stay in the saddle to put weight on the rear suspension? I realize the Epic doesn't have much suspension travel but which technique should I be using? Thanks.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator
    off the saddle.....butt back....'attack position'.....and let the bike float underneath you.

it's very rare that you would ever stay seated on a 'bumpy' downhill on any rig......

edit: feet/pedals parallel to the earth.....keep'em that way....pedal strikes suck giant donkey pen0r.....

edit-edit: feet/pedals parallel to earth unless your are turning....then outside foot down...inside foot up (duh)....well...most of the time anyway
    Last edited by CHUM; 12-07-2009 at 09:26 AM.
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

AZ
    banned
    I'm usually up on the pedals , feels like I have more input , easier to move around .

local trails rider
    If it is bumpy, or even a little bit steep, get your behind out of the saddle. That way you are better able to control the bike and even use the bumps to your advantage.

... why ride over every bump: let one bump bounce you into the air and land on the backside of another one ...

mtbr member
    fluidride "like a pro"

excellent vidy.....worth every penny IMO.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_7019cpd63p_e

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Pretend you don't have rear suspension, flow with the terrain! Don't rely on your suspension to take the hits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The way I see it right now, if my bike is too heavy, then I'm too weak!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexJK
    Pretend you don't have rear suspension, flow with the terrain! Don't rely on your suspension to take the hits.
    kind of a general statement... suspension is there so you can focus on the bigger hits, the little ones aren't as important anymore .

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yup, general answer for a general question but really though, small stuff, let the suspension do it's work, on the bigger stuff, work WITH the suspension.

Howz zat?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    The way I see it right now, if my bike is too heavy, then I'm too weak!

usually cranky
    stand up and pin er!

Shaman
    Apr 2004
    Alex is right about pretending you don't have suspension. You want to ride as smooth as you can. Smooth equals fast and efficient. Stay on the balls of your feet and use your knees and ankles as shock absorbers. Butt behind the seat is interesting advice. Depending on the steepness of the hill your butt may go behind the seat but that isn't the goal. The goal is to keep your weight centered on the pedals while riding. Often getting your butt behind the seat gets your weight behind the pedals (when you feel like you are pulling on the bars that is too far back to ride, okay for a quick move but you want to return to center). Weight behind the pedals leaves you out of balance with most of your weight on the rear wheel which makes using your front brake sketchy (it wants to push or slide) and make maneuvering hard (hard to change direction without "flopping the straighter your arms are, also front wheel will push if cornering with weight back).
    Skills coaching loved by passionate riders of all levels and trusted by the pros.
    www.betterride.net

mtbr member
    thanks all