1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: going clipless?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

going clipless?

I've just started to get into mtb and I've always used platform pedals for all my bikes. I have read that clipless is the way to go and want to do it. What are some clipless pedals that are easy to learn with but not that expensive because the budget is limited because I also have to buy shoes. thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    shimano spd.

if you look around you can find pedals around $30 and the clips are about $20. all thats left is the shoes.

they have adjustable tension as well which will make clipping out easier. not many people care for this feature but its good to know its there.

first time using clipless take it to a grassy field. practice clipping out and falling... yes falling. because we all fall due to being unable to clip out in time.

what's a limited budget?

$90 for new shimano m540's on pricepoint.com. adjustable, durable...can't really go wrong.
    can probably find used on craigslist/ebay for cheaper though.
    should be able to pick up a new entry level shoe for $50.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'd like to spend around $100 for the pedals and the shoes, maybe 150.

Quote Originally Posted by johnjamieson
    I'd like to spend around $100 for the pedals and the shoes, maybe 150.
    new m540's for $60 (including shipping)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-PD-M540-...3286.m14.l1318

new sette element for $60 (including shipping)
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/132...-MTB-Shoes.htm
    (get one size smaller than you normally would for sette shoes...they run big for some reason)

under $120 to your door for a pretty good setup, imho.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    thank you. Now this might sound dumb, but the pedals would fit into the cranks right.... you don't need to buy a special crank or anything like that.

nope. unless you have some really rare bike/crank, it'll be 9/16ths and will work fine.

just remember when doing the switch, the left side (non-drive/chainring) is threaded reverse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If you look at the pricepoint link and look at the right, they have combo deals on the shoes and pedals. The most expensive one was 100 dollars for both.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 2pfspiff
    If you look at the pricepoint link and look at the right, they have combo deals on the shoes and pedals. The most expensive one was 100 dollars for both.

nice pointing that out. I can get shoes and clipless for 78$... sweet.

or $54
    http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/141...m-M3-Pedal.htm

but read the mtbr.com reviews of the m540 vs. a cheap wellgo pedal (which is what all the cheaper pricepoint combos come with)
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...77_135crx.aspx
    http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/p...66_135crx.aspx

might as well spend a little more to get a pedal that will last and a shoe with a stiff sole that fits. as opposed to going super cheap and having a bad experience because of cheap/breakable/unpredictable components.

spec4life???..smh...
    Well I cant beleive that nobodies mentioned it but Shimano m520 pedals sound like the right pedal for you. You can pick them up new for 50 bucks and they come with cleats. Then just get you a pair of spd ahoes for 50 bucks or so and you have you a great entry level clippless pedal setup for $100

mtbr member
    Shimano M324...clipless on one side and platform on the other.
    A great intro into clipless.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the m520's are good pedals. sealed bearing, smooth operation, dirt cheap.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    went and picked up shimano 520's and shoes at the LBS. clipless is awesome. took 10 min to figure out how to clip in and out effeciently and now I feel like Im in much more control over the bike.

mtbr member
    I have the M520s too and I really like having the ability to adjust the release tension. The few times I had to abandon bike, I was able to clip off with no problems.