1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Going back to platform pedals. Any suggestions?

Today I learned to hate clipless pedals. I went with two of my buddies off road, all muddy with downhills, stones, rivers, etc, you name it.

I spended like 98% of the time and my effort, trying to clip in. All around was slippery and the pedals were full of mud.

Im super TIRED, my legs and feet HURT. And the few times I was able to clip in, almost fall over some huge stones.

And I wasn't riding with confidence, neither enjoyed the ride. And also I heard a few people around complaining and screaming stuff, cause they neither could be able to clip in.

So, even If I lose the 20% percent power from clipless, I prefer to ride with confidence and enjoy the ride.

So Im back to platform. Now, Which is a good platform pedal for muddy conditions? I heard there are some pedals with interchangeable pins or something like that. Any suggestions?

old rookie
    I am looking at the Shimano 545's as a combo pedal. Enough of a bear trap to hold the shoe and provide a larger platform for the area around the clip, but also should have good traction if you can't clip in.
    ... so then I said "with a squirrel!" get it now?

AKA Dr.Nob
    Devolution OK

The best flats have pins made from grub screws (M4 usually). These are readily available from any (good) hardware store and any engineering supply shop.
    If you want to go to longer pins you can just replace the grub screws with longer ones.

Also get good shoes made for flat pedals. Some shin pads wont go astray either.

I will also mention that not all clipless pedals are created equal. Times and Egg Beaters are good in the mud, (Older) Shimanos and all cheap SPD rip offs not so (the new Shimanos are said to be better but I haven't ridden them).
    Not that all teenagers are evil mind, just most of them.

old rookie
    Going back to Flats nearly require shin guards as gumbymark pointed out. The Kyle Straits look and feel good (I tried some on today, but after spending 2k on the bike and a few hundred on other parts, I just couldn't bring myself to it now since I am still clipless).
    ... so then I said "with a squirrel!" get it now?

local trails rider
    Hitting your regular rough trails is not the best way to start with clipless. As you noticed, getting clipped in takes some practice and a rough muddy trail is not the ideal place for the first practice. Then comes the confidence issue, until you learn to clip out without thinking about it....

My Time ATAC pedals have coped with mud and snow quite OK.

I would not recommend combo pedals for use as flat pedals. They might work as clipless pedals that offer some platform in case you miss your first attempt to clip in, in a place where you need to start pedaling now.

For flat pedals, I'd pick something relatively thin that has removable pins/bolts for traction.

mtbr member
    I really love my Specialized Lo Pro Mag IIs. Fairly light, grippy and stiff. i've also used Wellgo MG1s and DMR V12s in the past. Both pedals are fairly light and really grippy.

mtbr member
    I agree with juanbeegas, the Specialized Mags are pretty great. Check out the Crank Bro's 5050s as well.

You should make your friends buy them, for giving you such a bad first clipless experience. I don't know what they were thinking taking you on a difficult trail for your first time clipped in. That's like learning to drive on the Autobahn. Get your confidence back with some flatties and then give clipless another try down the road. Once you make the switch and get over the learning curve, you won't regret it.
    im wearing clothes right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    the wellgo mg1s are the lightest ive found, have sealed bearings, and are dirt cheap.

im back on clipless now, but im keeping my MG1's around for freeride. freeride and clipless just doesnt make sense to me.

Gravity works
    I've been riding rodeo pedals for the past 2 years and love them. Clip in on the hills and flats for power, clip out for real technical stuff or mud with lots of clay. I know they are wellgo's but am unsure of the model. (The paint is all worn off). My shoes have a slightly recessed cleat and riding the flat side is a breeze.
    A beginner since 1976

I still have to explain to my wife how a 46 year old likes to get down and play in the mud.

mtbr member
    Stay with clipless a few weeks more or after your 3rd or 4th long trail muddy ride and then decide again. I also thought clipless pedals suck in the first 2 weeks but I gave them some more time. After a month, I will never go back to platform anymore.

Certified Porsche Tech
    My buddy rides with those Specialized really thin platforms that are grippy as hell and look sweet. I know they weren't cheap but cheaper than a nice clipless.

I'll stick with my egg beaters and cheap DK bmx platforms only when needed.
    Odin! Guide our ships, our axes spears and swords!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm using platforms right now, but am looking at the CrankBros. Mallet pedals. I'll be a clipless n00b, but I figured my rides to work will get me adjusted to them to where I can ride on the trails.

Baton Rouge, LA
    Quote Originally Posted by OmiH
    Today I learned to hate clipless pedals. I went with two of my buddies off road, all muddy with downhills, stones, rivers, etc, you name it.

I spended like 98% of the time and my effort, trying to clip in. All around was slippery and the pedals were full of mud.

Im super TIRED, my legs and feet HURT. And the few times I was able to clip in, almost fall over some huge stones.

And I wasn't riding with confidence, neither enjoyed the ride. And also I heard a few people around complaining and screaming stuff, cause they neither could be able to clip in.

So, even If I lose the 20% percent power from clipless, I prefer to ride with confidence and enjoy the ride.

So Im back to platform. Now, Which is a good platform pedal for muddy conditions? I heard there are some pedals with interchangeable pins or something like that. Any suggestions?
    What kind of clipless pedals did you have?

mtbr member
    +1 for Wellgo MG-1s. Currently have Azonic Accelerators and they work well too.

Def. get something with replaceable pins...

mtbr member
    personally i think the shoe matters more than the pedal, sure some pedals are going to be lighter and thinner than others but i ride soft soled skate shoes and my brother rides in athletic shoes and i seem to always have better grip than he does...

if you get serious about flats i would check out some skate shoes or if you are a spendy kinda person 5 10s, ive never used them but they get great reviews

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    What kind of clipless pedals did you have?
    Shimano PD-M520.

I've been riding rodeo pedals for the past 2 years and love them
    I think I will try those.Those are multifunction pedals, right?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by docweedon
    I'm using platforms right now, but am looking at the CrankBros. Mallet pedals. I'll be a clipless n00b, but I figured my rides to work will get me adjusted to them to where I can ride on the trails.
    Make sure you read reviews on these before you go to buy them. I was looking at those on the crank bros web site and thought about getting them... till i read the reviews on this site. i think they get a 2/5 average

mtbr member
    I've been back and forth between crank bros 50/50s and wellgo b77s. I've settled on the b77s. I love these pedals. They're big and heavy but great.

Reviewer/Tester
    I've been where you were...on clipless pedals in bad conditions...and they were a PITA.

I went back to platforms quite a long time ago, and now only ever use clip-ons for road riding.

I've tried quite a few different platform pedals, and my favourites were Azonic A-Frames for a long time, but I switched over to the magnesium Wellgo MG-1's and they are really great pedals.

Cheap, [eBay] reliable, very light, great pins and grip, [especially with 5-10 Impact shoes] and they can take a real bashing without breaking.

Highly recommended.

Rainman.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just put a pair of crank bros 50/50 on my bike. I didnt want to go clipless and my stock pedals sucked. The 50/50 are great. I wear an old school vans sneaker and the feel is pretty grippy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    After hearing all suggestions and checked the website pedals reviews, I decided for the Wellgo MG-1.

Ordered them yesterday from ebay at a very nice price. Maybe I will continue to practice on road with clipless, but for earth and dirt, definitive Im sticking with platforms. Now Im a happy man

Now I need I nice pair of shoes. Any suggestions? And as always,tnx for for the advice. Awesome forum! Awesome people !

local trails rider
    Shoes?
    Get a pair that fits. Try before you buy.

For my flat pedals needs, I found a pair of skateboarding shoes with stiff and grippy soles.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Five Tens, crazy grippage

Thread Killer
    [threadjack]
    i'm kinda in the same boat here...can't really get excited about going clipless, in my inexperience...can't really justify spending that money on clipless. i've been trying to find some BMX platform pedals around town, and have a general idea of what i want from a platform pedal. but, one guy at the bike shop planted the idea in my head for a toe-clip pedal. something similar to that i can purchase from the local shop. would that be a good alternative to a platform pedal, AND a clipless?
    [/threadjack]

mtbr member
    Get a clipless pedal that works in mud. Sounds like you need some eggbeaters. They clip in and out no problem no matter how muddy they are.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast