1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Goat heads!

mtbr member
    May 2011

Goat heads!

So its been annoying me, within the past two weeks I have gone through 6 inner tubes! (4 sports basement house brand [summit], 1 slime and 1 specialized air lock) all due to thorns and goat heads! I have not been doing any singletrack and been sticking to fire roads due to this but i still get flats! I have new kenda slant six-tires with the inner tubes and i am currently running slime light inner tubes with stans sealant added inside the tube and the rear has bontrager heavy duty. I had the specialized in there but i had a flat today!

My question is, Am I the only one having these problems? What are you guys currently running/ using or any comments and advice?

Nickel Havr
    What kinda pressure are you running?

FWIW I've had 2 flats in 3 years...

Slime light tubes on Kenda Klaws at 35lbs....
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Growing up as a desert rat, i would run Slime SL-B1526 Tube Protector Mountain Bike in my tires. They protect very well. None of my trails warrent them yet, but i will run them if needed.

T.W.O.
    Go with stan's conversion tubeless and goatheads would be a thing of the past. One of my local trail suffer from goatheads, one group ride we stopped 6 times for flats, while someone else fix their flats I just picked the goatheads off my tires

I4NI
    Is goatheads a seasonal thing?
    There....Are... Four...Lights!

T.W.O.
    Yeah.

I4NI
    OK thanks

InsaneObiker...dasss mee!
    Goat heads are actualy easy to deal with... what you do is #1 buy cheapo tubes... there heavier ... 2 take your old tube and cut a slice around the middle all the way around. the wrap it around your new tube! its not light, but I have'nt had a flat in years from thorns and such since I started doing it( about 10 years now at around 8000 miles a year!)... works Alot better than any tire liners, slime etc.... and BONUS! its cheap!

Don't ride a Trek anymore
    Sep 2008
    tubeless!

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by FroggyBiker View Post
    Goat heads are actualy easy to deal with... what you do is #1 buy cheapo tubes... there heavier ... 2 take your old tube and cut a slice around the middle all the way around. the wrap it around your new tube! its not light, but I have'nt had a flat in years from thorns and such since I started doing it( about 10 years now at around 8000 miles a year!)... works Alot better than any tire liners, slime etc.... and BONUS! its cheap!
    8000 miles a year, is that dirt miles? That's insane Road miles not too much

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Go with stan's conversion tubeless and goatheads would be a thing of the past. One of my local trail suffer from goatheads, one group ride we stopped 6 times for flats, while someone else fix their flats I just picked the goatheads off my tires
    +1

mtbr member
    Go tire liners. Or tubeless.

mtbr member
    Goat heads are a year round issue here in NM. In the past I ran kevlar liners with slimed tubes and had good results with that. I've also had good results with thick/thorn proof tubes and slime.

I'd suggest running a liner and slime or maybe a liner, thick tubes, and slime.

I'm tubeless now and its a non-issue.
    I'm hungry

I4NI
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    8000 miles a year, is that dirt miles? That's insane Road miles not too much
    Some people dont drive there cars that far.
    Last edited by S_Trek; 08-10-2011 at 06:23 PM.