1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

GMC Topkick, opinions?

Im looking into a new bike. I have only been riding for a couple of months, so im only looking for a newbie bike, or maybe a mid level bike so that it can last for a long time. Recently i have gotten really into the sport, and i cant stop.

I usually ride at Markham Park, Florida, lots of offroading and a great ride. I recently rode in alaska (on their "expert" trails) as well, so i have a little experience with real mountains.

I was looking at the GMC Topkick Dual-Suspension Mountain bike (Found it on amazon.com, it has all the specs there if you want to see them)

It looks great, with the accessories and all. But the weight says 45 pounds. That seems impossible. And the frame is apparently 26". I am 6 feet tall, i thought 19" would be an ideal frame size. Anybody have any thoughts or experience with the bike?

Im visiting a bike store tomorrow to see if they have any upgradable bikes that will last me for a while. Maybe ill buy a real mountain bike and upgrade it as i get better at the sport.

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Stay away from the GMC. It is what is called a bike shaped object (BSO). It looks like a mountain bike, but it is basically useless for anything other than riding on the sidewalk. And yes that bike could easily be 45 pounds. The bare minimum you can spend and get a good full suspension bike is $1000. If your budget is more around $300, get a hardtail from a bike store.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    There is no way it is 26". That is the wheel/tire size, not the frame. I would avoid it, and get a hardtail, that you can upgrade later.

mtbr member
    I always thought that the GMC Topkick was a truck... If you are truly interested in getting into mountain biking, invest in a bike other than from a department store. You will thank yourself many times over.
    2012 Intense M9
    2012 Pivot Mach 5.7 Carbon
    2008 Look 595
    2007 Custom Litespeed Sewanee

mtbr member
    You'd be better off looking for a lightly used garage queen at a yard sale.... Or just getting a bike at a bike shop. If you're interested in the sport, a basic Trek or Giant mountain bike should provide a stable, upgradeable platform to use. Plus, if you don't end up really getting into mountain biking, they can serve as practical transportation much better than the "GMC Topkick" will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks a bunch guys. Im really happy i came to you guys first and got out of that GMC trainwreck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

not really a bad back for a beginner

it's really not that bad of a bike....not everyone has to drop $1500-$2500 on a bike...we are all not going into the PRO circuit...

I have one of these GMC bikes (and GMC has nothing to do with making them, they are just licensed under them) and i have over 700 miles on it, the only thing i have changed are the pedals and crank derailer.

the frame is made very well and the welds are very nice (i'm a licensed Level 2 CWI)
    mine only came with disc brakes, although it still has to posts on the fork and rear arm to mount linear pull rim brakes.

keeping in mind that the only thing unique to a particular named brand bike is the frame....everything else on it is made by someone else and bolted to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is it just me or does it sound like berealistic is upset his bike came with disc brakes and not v-brakes. I can't wait to get ride of my shitty v-brakes on my rockhopper.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by flippedr6 View Post
    Is it just me or does it sound like berealistic is upset his bike came with disc brakes and not v-brakes. I can't wait to get ride of my shitty v-brakes on my rockhopper.
    Shitty brakes are shitty brakes, regardless of whether they are V or Disc.

Full provisions for disc brakes (hubs, frame tabs, etc) do allow you to upgrade to something really nice if you choose though.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    i prefer disc brakes...i thought i had read where someone said it had front disc brakes and rim brakes...

basically, i was trying to get across that you can find a good beginner bike and upgrade the components as one's budget allows....

until recently, i had one of those Shogun full suspensions things...nice frame, a little heavy, but over time, the only thing left that was original was the frame...i changed everything else out for better components...(and then it got stolen...lol)

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I remember when i first got into the market for a mountain bike and I was shopping around all the box stores and finding bikes I was interested in for a good price around the 250$-400$ range. Then one day I found this site started getting more knowledgeable and couldn't be more thankful for talking me out of buying from the box store an hating myself. I saved a few more $$ went to a REAL Bikeshop and just bought a 2012 Giant Revel 1 and couldn't be more happier for a entry level mountain bike, frame is light, bike looks nice, has decent components. Your best bet is to visit your LBS and talked to them and to find a better bike than the one your looking at you'll thank yourself later.