1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    spec4life???..smh...

Glue on Grips???

Alright so i just got a new set of oury mtn grips and when I read the instructions it said to glue the grips on. Is this right? I thought that glue on grips were a thing of the past. I was thinkin that you just slid them on.

Any thoughts....

I like bacon... (clyde)
    I just got the same grips, and was wondering the same thing when I put them on. I tried a lot of things to make them hold on well, and here's what ended up working:

1) put a drip of dish soap in each of them, then fill with HOT water. Cover the open end and shake, then let them sit for a few minutes.
    2) in the meantime, put some rubbing alcohol on a rag and wipe down the handlebar where the grips go
    3) rinse out the grips with more hot water, then try to get the majority of the water out. I just shook mine around and tried to fling out all the water.
    4) You need to have just a little water left in them, so don't stick a rag in there to get them dry on the inside
    5) Slide them onto the handlebar (make sure the logo is in the right direction ). With the little bit of water left in there, they should go on relatively easy. Also, the hot water will have expanded them a little.
    6) Squeeze them hard with your hands to make sure they're seated well.
    7) Let everything dry overnight. They will grip tighter and tighter as you ride the next day (they did for me anyway).

Edit: this is probably only good for dry climates.
    Last edited by SpyderPride; 08-03-2008 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    use glue, or return them and get lockons. unglued grips will slip. moisture and dirt and god knows what gets in there and they loosen up.

mtbr member
    Or.. you could use an air compressor

Or.. you could use hair spray

Or.. you could use brake cleaner (air sol can)

Or.. gasoline

Or.. yeah
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

spec4life???..smh...
    I guess the main thing is that id rather not glue them on so will they still hold good without glue.

mtbr member
    I would use an air compressor then. thats how i get them on and off at work.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    ive been biking for about 15 years and never have had a slip on grip stick adequately. get lockons or just install them and hope for the best.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Been using the spray paint method for years. Not an easy method for beginners though. Too much paint and the grip is ruined.

not really an mtbr member
    Hair spray and an air compressor works like magic.

pedal pusher
    I used Elmer's spray glue on rubber grips of various brands for years. They go on easy, set it pace in about a minute, and come off later simply by rolling them back and sliding them off the bar.

nnn
    mtbr member
    Hair spray hasn't let me down for over a decade, part of which in UK conditions. Get extra hold stuff and enjoy !
    "Life begins at 140" Richard Burns
    http://www.nikolay-k.com

mtbr member
    how does the hair spray meathod work just out of curiosity?
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    rubber cement works fine and comes off easily

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cata1yst
    how does the hair spray meathod work just out of curiosity?

You spray the hairspray into the grips and slide them on when they're wet. The hairspray dries overnight and sticks them on.

The extra hold stuff works great, however over time the stickiness of the hairspray wears off and the grips will slip.

Like others have said, I prefer the lock ons.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    i use the orange degreaser crap.

melts them to the bars.

Lets RIDE!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChapmanMTB27
    I would use an air compressor then. thats how i get them on and off at work.
    Could you explain this technique? Thanks.

I've been finding all sorts of uses for my air compressor since I bought it a few years ago to run a nail gun.

Jim
    It's not about speed, it's about lack of control.

i call it a kaiser blade
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JimZinVT
    Could you explain this technique? Thanks.

I've been finding all sorts of uses for my air compressor since I bought it a few years ago to run a nail gun.

Jim
    jam the compressor into the 'air hole' in the grip, plug the other end, inflate, the air 'dissects' the grip from the bar and it falls off.