1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

glossary of terms and abbr?

does this site have a glossary page and/or an abbreviations page?

what is FSR and DJ (double jump i assume)

nae'blis
    I don't know of any glossary on this site but there is another thread right now about mtn biking lingo. I think fsr has to do with suspension and dj stands for dirt jumping.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

link please??

do you ahve a link to that thread?

mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    FSR refers to the rear suspension linkage that it patented by the company Specialized. It is used by just about every specialized full suspension frame, the Intense Tracer, and the Titus Switchblade. I'm sure there are probably some more. Specialized bikes also used to have FSR on the end. Such as: Specialized Stumpjumper FSR. For this reason people will sometimes say FSR to refer to a Specialized made full suspension bike.

DJ means dirt jumping. It is where you go out and jump on the dirt mounds (as the name implies) sort of like the BMX kids.

If you go to Yahoo! and search for Mountain Bike Terms Glossary or something similar there is a website that lists terms and definitions.

Who are the brain police?
    The Who - Glittering Girl
    Ween - The Grobe
    Yellowman - Strong Me Strong
    all your base are belong to us