1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: glasses

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

glasses

What glasses are you using? We have been riding with sunglasses up till now. But tonight we needed to take them off to see. Need sizes for 2 adults, 1 teen and one 7 yr old.Thanks

mtbr member
    ESS makes good quality clear lens eye pro. Adjustable. They are standard issue in the military so you can probably get them very inexspenivly on eBay or something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I wear light yellow shooting glasses day and night. Very inexpensive from Wal-Mart hunting dept. Not sure about the 7-yr-old tho.

mtbr member
    Eyewear at Price Point I have been using Sette eye wear for years, I am rather fashion conscious and find them to be acceptable, can not see the point of spending more money, rather spend that on my bike.Most of them offer three interchangeable lenses and they are bike specific,so they do not fall of your nose all the time and offer good ventilation to prevent fogging up.

mtbr member
    When I was in the Marines I wore Wiley X clear lenses. Great durable glasses. I liked them way better than the ESS.

Sunglasses, Goggles, Glasses, and Gloves - Tactical Impact Protection from Wiley X
    Last edited by Danielrg_usa; 08-03-2012 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Add link

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I just wear regular safety glasses. Good cheap protection.

mtbr member
    Another vote for Wiley X, in law enforcement, and on the trails.

mtbr member
    I have to admit to never liking Wiley x glasses. In my time in te Marine Corps I busted two pairs. Since then I've worn Oakley exclusively and have found them to really hold up better to aggressive abuse.

Heading to Home Depot and getting a few pairs of safety glasses will probably do the trick. A lot cheaper too.

mtbr member
    Whatever you get stay away from anything with a two piece frame. The ones where the left and right ear pieces attach to a one piece lens individually. Both Wiley X and ESS make this style. Not sure about Oakley. I have never found them to be reliable or hold up. One side is always falling off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

duh
    Wear safety glases. They rap around you nicely. You can get them clear and also in polarized lenses.

mtbr member
    Amber or orange 20% tint. These work great in the woods and really make terrain elements pop, i.e. roots, ruts and rocks. I felt a lot more confident going fast once I put some on. You just pick up everything quicker.

They're also great for late-day rides ... even better than clear--to a point.

Edit: And try to avoid polarized lenses if possible. They're great for reducing bright reflections off the water and other outdoor settings but that quality is not as useful on the trail. Polarization reduces contast, especially in low-light conditions, and may cause you to miss certain terrain variances (wet patch, slick surface, etc) when riding at speed.

Polycarbonate lenses with built-in UV protection would be minimal requirements for trail eyewear.
    Last edited by joeinchi; 08-06-2012 at 08:47 AM.
    Joe
    Chicago, IL

Bicycle Radical
    I have a pair of Tifosi sunglasses with photochromatic lenses. They work pretty well and can be used in minimal lighting conditions.

My only problem is that in super humid weather, they can fog up. Otherwise, they are just fine.
    Free people must travel the road to productive social relations at the speed of a bicycle.- Ivan Illich

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    since most of my trails are in the shade, sunglasses are too dark usually. I use these.

Indoor Safety Eyewear-90551-00000B at The Home Depot

good for taking branches to the eyes and cheap as hell. enjoy

ready to ride
    I 2nd ANSI approved safety glasses. You can get them cheap at Lowes, Home Depot, or the internet in all kinds of shades/tints etc. Aside from being inexpensive they are designed to protect your eyes. You can get nicer ones and prescriptions one for a reasonable price as well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Smith Optics Parallel Max for me. I bought a black/black polarized pair and it came with two extra lens sets, one clear and one rose tinted. I've had them for a few months and I wear them every day while driving, etc. and then on the trail as well. I rarely switch out to the different lenses (mostly just loose the glasses when I'm in the woods or at dusk), but when I do they're both great. I can't find one thing to complain about.

turtles make me hot
    I wear Wiley X Bricks with grey polarized lenses all day long and the same with clear lenses indoors and at night. My favorite glasses by far.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Walmart specials all the way. Plus they are cheap and you wont feel bad if you destroy them

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattnmtns View Post
    I 2nd ANSI approved safety glasses. You can get them cheap at Lowes, Home Depot, or the internet in all kinds of shades/tints etc. Aside from being inexpensive they are designed to protect your eyes. You can get nicer ones and prescriptions one for a reasonable price as well.
    third I like the 4 for $20 packs.

banned
    Nov 2011
    I have a pair of Smith Pivlock V90's right now and they are awesome. Oakley is going to make me a custom pair of Jawbones soon though.

Just Ride
    I wear Tifosi Slip. They are vented and came with yellow, amber and the dark color sunglass lenses. They work great and are comfortable. They only fog up if I stop riding. Once I start moving again they clear up pretty quick.
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Here's the criteria for glasses when I'm shopping around..
    1. Fit... not just wide enough for my head, but the temples cannot be too tight or else I get headaches.

2. Safety... I want something that will hold up to a rock being flung at me by a wheel... bike or otherwise. I want something that won't shatter into small pieces possibly cutting my eye.

3. Coverage... I don't want bugs, rain, or other things of that nature having easy access to my eyes along the bridge or from the forward sides.

4. Visibility and protection... UV protection, preferably polarized, and the right tint for the conditions...
    - smoke for bright sun
    - yellow for overcast days
    - clear for lowlight and night riding

Commercial safety glasses have worked great for me in the past and I still have one pair of clear that I call on from time-to-time.

Otherwise... here are the biking models I have and like to ride with...

Native Hardtop XP... two sets of lenses, smoke and a clearish/rainbowish set. I really like these the most because the lens selection allows for most of my riding times although the 'clear' aren't clear enough for some nightrides. The temples are soft which is a HUGE benefit, especially for longer rides.

XLC low-end $20 models with 3 lens sets... smoke, yellow, and clear. The temples on these are hard, so their okay on short rides.

Ryders... The ends of the temples are wire covered by rubber. I don't find these to be as comfortable for me as the others listed above. Smoke lenses.

Ryders Saltydogs... The first pair and second-most expensive biking glasses I have purchased. Clear until they sense sunlight, then they change in darkness for the conditions, hard temples.. so there's the comfort thing again.

My top pick are the Native Hardtops. Pricier than run-of-the-mill safety glasses but the added benefit of lens changing and soft temples means I grab these pretty much all the time.

Be sure to have everyone try on the glasses you are thinking of buying them.
    You want to know that they fit well so that the person isn't getting aches from them or is so uncomfortable with them they take them off.
    You want to know that the lens doesn't distort what the wearer sees!
    I have found too many cheap safety glasses that will distort things just at the edges or all over the viewing area.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cormac View Post
    I wear Tifosi Slip. They are vented and came with yellow, amber and the dark color sunglass lenses. They work great and are comfortable. They only fog up if I stop riding. Once I start moving again they clear up pretty quick.
    Oh Man! I forgot about the fogging issue!
    Unfortunately I only find out about that after riding with them, but I guess you could take the family to the hardware store, put on the safety glasses and ZOOM around the store long enough to break a sweat, then stop and see if they fog up!

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks everyone for the great advice. I will go ahunting for the names listed above.

mtbr member
    I have a set of Oakleys, you can swap out the lens for more versatility. I work in construction so I have an abundance of different safety glasses just in case i forget my Oaks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast