1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

girls or mans bike

Hello everyone.
    im interested in a bike on ebay its a specialized rockhopper disc 2005.
    the only thing is the bike has a womens saddle on the bike.which make me think its a girls bike.ive contacted the seller,and he assures me its a mans bike
    what does any else think! is there any way of telling.

Thankyou!
    smiitho

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Female specific bikes (of the same ilk as the male specific) are often sized a bit in between the male versions of the same ride. Some have shorter crankarms and narrower bars and female saddles.

If you ride a 19" bike and its 19"s, who cares about the saddle? It can be replaced.

There's no app for this.

Given that

FIT is the most important part of a bike purchase, the likelihood of a great fit from ebay is remote. I'd shop elsewhere, unless you are really clear on exactly the size of frame you need.

Saddles are easily swapped, assuming the ebay seller is, in fact, selling a non-WSD-framed bike.

Jim

...the wave won't brek
    Quote Originally Posted by Matilda the Hun
    A "girl's bike"??? Ya mean it's pink and has Strawberry Shortcake decals on it and it has cute white training wheels?

Honey - there's NO such thing as a MAN's bike. Are you afraid you might get girl cooties?

Sorry - just in a bad mood this morning

ROFLMAO!!!

That is too funny.

Try looking on the Specialized Web Site there is an archive there try and find the bike you are interested in by matching specs and colour, then see if it is WSD

It would seem the the days of slopeing (sp) cross bars, pink paint, and white handel grips with streamers are dead most mountain bike are unisex these days. Althogut some of the maufaterers offer Womem Specific Designs which are still extreamly simalar to the the "standard" designs
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight SPX-XC Kit

2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR-XC Comp

2006 Specialized Allez Sport Double

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    look under the seat, towards the back
    if you see testicles its a man, otherwise its a woman

ride hard take risks
    girl cooties?
    Hay MtH did you get your bike yet

mtbr member
    There are geometric differences in a womans frame as compared to a mens frame. I found a link by searching google so you can see some specifics: http://www.mothernature.com/Library/...Books/51/9.cfm

ride hard take risks
    Naw, not yet - there's a fly in the ointment - daughter needs a new bike now too.

Looks like I'll give up discs so that she can have a bike too. Have to re-shop now.

Posted it in F-88
    Here i go again stompin on someones thread. How old is your daughter, how tall & MTB or BMX
    Last edited by dogonfr; 04-27-2006 at 08:02 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    That link shows (and talks about) a Georgina Terry ladies road bike. Terry (on some models) runs something like a 650 in the rear and a 600 up front. No one else that I have ever heard of does that for a WSD bike. My mother in law has one, the father in law bought it for her as a replacement for her Cannondale road bike (not WSD, just a bike). She hated the Terry, ended up changing out the stem, bars, saddle and crankarms but in the end it still only pulls duty on her trainer.

On and MTB when you are talking WSD bikes:

Shorter crank arms? Maybe
    Narrower bars? Maybe
    Womens saddle? Probably
    In between sizes? Probably
    Stickers that boldly state its for a woman? You bet

It is in part a marketing scheme. Yes women have different butts than men so by all means design a saddle more suited for their rears. But before WSD bikes came out plenty of women went with what bike fit them and then swapped out the saddle for one they liked.

Going for a ride......
    I sold my Specialized Hardrock on ebay a few months ago now. It had a womens saddle on it - that's because when I brought it I got the LBS to switch the mens saddle to the womens. Mine was definitely a mens bike though.

Best way to find out stuff like that is to visit the manufacturers site and have a look in the archives (if the bike is an older one), providing the bike isn't too old you should be able to find out. With specialized they even have a tech q & a (which is fantastic I reckon) so in this case you could even ask them the quistion - giving them a good description of the bike, year etc.
    energetix

ride hard take risks
    She's 9.5, and maybe 4 feet tall? ( guessing). The standover of the Specialized Hotrock24" was about right. She's definitely still too short for an adult 26" MTB, but I want it to grow with her for another year or two before she hits the pre-puberty growth spurt. She doesn't ride LOTS, but when she does, she rides with me, so I don't want her on a POS.

She needs a good solid bike way more than I need discs, so I need to reshop for myself. May just downgrade a level or so. The tax refund will be coming at some point soon.
    How about checking out Ibex, mom & doughter bikes! The kids Alpine 440 is set up for disc if she becomes agressive & needs more power beffor she out grows the bike. The Asta has great drive train & suspension with disc brakes.

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-440K-Details.html

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ASTA-EXP-Details.html