1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Giant Yukon FX vs Haro Shift R1

I currently have a Trek 4300 disc that I am fairly happy with. However, I do have kind of a bad back/neck that always gets sore during/after rides. I was thinking that a FS bike would help relieve some of the back and neck issues due to a softer ride. I am trying to find something under $ 1,000. These are the two that I am down to. Giant Yukon FX or the Haro Shift R1. I don't know enough about components to figure which has the best setup. HELP!

TRANCER
    The Giant Yukon FX was my first bike and i loved it. Its tough as nails and once you set the shocks right its a very comfortable ride.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    The haro has 120mm and 4.5" of travel. The giant has 100mm and 4.0" of travel. Will this difference be noticeable on mostly packed dirt singletrack/XC riding? Also, can anyone speak to the components on these bikes it's hard to compare because one has shimano and the other SRAM. Which has the better set-up?

TRANCER
    Both are descent. If you can go test ride them both and see which one is more comfortable to you.
    Ride

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Hope I'm gonna throw one bike into the mix

Sorry, but I'm gonna throw one more bike into the mix. How does the Motobecane 700DS compare to the Giant and Haro. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ehinrj01
    I currently have a Trek 4300 disc that I am fairly happy with. However, I do have kind of a bad back/neck that always gets sore during/after rides. I was thinking that a FS bike would help relieve some of the back and neck issues due to a softer ride. I am trying to find something under $ 1,000. These are the two that I am down to. Giant Yukon FX or the Haro Shift R1. I don't know enough about components to figure which has the best setup. HELP!
    Haro Shift R1 specs

Giant Yukon FX specs

I'm sorry, but both these bikes are pure entry level and I couldn't imagine paying $850 for either one. Just look at the forks, rear shocks, Alivio derailleurs and brakes. Personally, I would scour ebay and craigslist for a used higher end or upgraded bike. BUT, out of those two I'd prefer the Giant.

I would look at the Motobecane 2009 Fantom Comp DS Mountain Bike for $999 shipped. It has better everything- a full class above what the Giant and Haro are equipped with, you'll just have to do basic assembly on it.

If your back and neck are hurting, I'd recommend looking online for basic physical therapy movements/instructions. An exercise ball can do wonders for a back by strengthening the core.
    Last edited by Noya; 04-04-2010 at 02:56 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info on the motobecane. I'll look into that model. But, just so yall know, I am an entry level rider. Sooo, I don't need much more than an entry level bike. But of course, I do want to get the most for my $$. And as far as the exercises...yea, you're right, I need to do a better job with that.

mtbr member
    It really easy to outgrow a low entry level bike, so getting the best biek for your money now is better than wanting to uprade in a few months. how much are you getting the giant and haro for?
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I haven't priced them at the LBS. I just know the MSRP from the web. To be honest I haven't even decided if they're enough of an upgrade from my Trek 4300 disc to spend the cash. Maybe I should wait and save for a bigger upgrade. Although my back and neck are smiling just thinking about the FS! All of your advice is appreciated.

mtbr member

Thudbuster

A friend of mine recently installed a cane creek thudbuster seatpost on his Cannondale F7.
    He loves it. Greatly reduces fatigue/soreness. Just another option.

Another friend of mine purchased the Giant Yukon FX, and like someone said, once the suspension was set properly it is a great entry level FS bike.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Often, back and neck soreness have to do with handlebar setup. Most people have a strike zone where the handlebars are in a place that will be comfortable, and get back/neck/arm/wrist/shoulder/etc. problems if they're somewhere else. If you're too upright, your back won't flex as you go over things and it'll hurt. If you're too low, your back won't have the range of motion to flex as you go over things, and it'll hurt.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/pain.html#back
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Try messing around with your handlebar position before you spend much money. You can re-order the spacer stack for different heights, and you can also get a longer or shorter stem. Most bike shops will have a few kicking around that came off new bikes, and if you can find a used shop in your area with cheap ones, that's good too.

Another thing you can do is add some ab work in the morning or before your rides. A stronger back is a healthier, less painful back.

I'm not a fan of suspension seat posts because I think they make it a lot harder to get the relationship between saddle and pedals right. There are a few people who have been riding with them for years, though, and swear by them. Try to get your fit right first.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Thanks AndrwSwitch. That is a good site with lots of great info. Much appreciated!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OK. I'm gonna complicate things again. How does the Mongoose Otero Super compare to these? Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Is it a 2010, like this one @ $999?

http://www.downcycles.com/store/2010...er-p-1216.html

The Motobecane has it beat on everything, while it (Otero) has the Giant and Haro beat on components. While the Otero's fork has beefy 32mm stanchions, a quick google reveals it's the only bike with that particular fork...which makes me believe it's a cheapy.

mtbr member
    I agree with Noya

Moto Phantom comp ds>Otero>giant>haro
    2009 Giant Yukon FX

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    That helps alot guys! Now...does anyone know of any other FS bikes under $1000 I should be considering. Remember. Beginner. XC/mostly packed dirt singletrack. 150 lbs

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    How about the Sette Ace? Where do you think it fits in Brujo's lineup.