1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Giant XTC on Cragslist...good deal?

ts a good fit for my size. The owner said he added parts on to the frame. the bike is said to be in good condition.... Tell me what you think..good deal? Is the price right? Is the carbon okay for mountain biking?

Giant XTC/AO mountainbike

Fat-tired Roadie
    With used bikes, condition is huge.

The ad's also pretty vague. I'm betting the bike's about an '08. It got to be a little hard to find 26" XtCs in the US after that - I remember one of my teammates having to acquire one through some weird other channel in '09 or '10.

In good shape, that'd be a good price.

There's a lot of back-and-forth about carbon fiber and MTB. At the end of the day, frames made out of all materials can fail one way or another. Well-made carbon frames, which I'd expect from Giant, can be very strong.

You could certainly do a lot worse.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

'Tis but a scratch
    It does look like an '08 per comparison with Bikepedia. http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...ance&Type=bike. Some things seem to have changed from stock such as fork, cranks, X9 drivetrain. These are all good changes.

If I've got the right bike then bicyclebluebook says $527 for current value. He lists at $500 and says firm at $450. So, its not over priced and its not particularly under-priced. I would definitely take a close, close look at condition as AndrwSwitch stated. You can test most of the componentry with a good ride, but fine tooth comb on that frame.